Johnny Marr - Night and Day

I think Johnny has aspergers or some other mental condition.
He's worked with the best lyricists in rock and he makes this.
I can't wrap my head around it, he can write a book and he can give long interviews where he seems he has a somewhat higher or above average IQ,
but he can't see that these lyrics are completely meaningless.
There is nothing there especially on these last couple of albums.

Its like he uses a U2 AI lyric generator. Generic songs about hope, I guess?
I don't get it.
:unsure:

food for thought:hammer:

Jo Whiley: Johnny Marr Sofa Sessions - Jan 13, 2022.

Someone kindly put all the Marr bits together from Jo's 1.5 hr show.
At 13:25 - Bigmouth.
With "...now I know how Johnny Marr felt..." added.
Thanks to the kind person messaging me about this.
Regards,
FWD.

o_O

another vlog interview by Le 'Big Mouth' Pew?(n)
its now up to more than one a day FFS
what a shandadoh:
yap yap yapping with the big mouth, the annoying :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:

:hammer:

Why have a 'lyric' video, with lyrics as bad as this? Just draws attention to them.

"What I need, it never stops
All my fears and I get got."

Christ. I really want to believe there's a 'reason' for why a clever guy is writing such braindead dreck - like he's struggling to pull a vocal melody together or something & just going for simple rhymes to fit the music. I dunno. He can't be under any illusion that these lyrics are good, surely.

I don't think you understand what he's trying to do with the lyrics here. Did you notice all of the words are mono-syllabic except for "philosophy"? He's made up an unusual game of coming up with these one-syllable words that form a larger statement of going through hard times, yet staying optimistic. It's not an easy thing to do, but he's made a game of it, using extremely simplistic words forming a larger meaning, all set to a banging pop tune. I think it's very clever.

I don't think you understand what he's trying to do with the lyrics here. Did you notice all of the words are mono-syllabic except for "philosophy"? He's made up an unusual game of coming up with these one-syllable words that form a larger statement of going through hard times, yet staying optimistic. It's not an easy thing to do, but he's made a game of it, using extremely simplistic words forming a larger meaning, all set to a banging pop tune. I think it's very clever.
You're right, I don't understand. Even if he is playing some kind of game, he's ended up with something a child could write and he decided to keep it. What's the larger statement in - " I feel I'm breakin' up / I been hung up (...) / Just wanna breathe in the hotspot"? It's nonsense.

:ROFLMAO:

At this stage in his career, Johnny Marr is really counting on people like you.

You're right, I don't understand. Even if he is playing some kind of game, he's ended up with something a child could write and he decided to keep it. What's the larger statement in - " I feel I'm breakin' up / I been hung up (...) / Just wanna breathe in the hotspot"? It's nonsense.

Sorry you can't relate. It's about what we've all been going through during the pandemic. He spoke about it in the Uncut article. I'm not the only one that gets it either. At any rate, it's a great pop song, don't you agree?

Sorry you can't relate. It's about what we've all been going through during the pandemic. He spoke about it in the Uncut article. I'm not the only one that gets it either. At any rate, it's a great pop song, don't you agree?

I don't agree. I think it's a shit pop songs. Lyrics are shit. Music is shit. The vocals are shit. That doesn't leave much room for manoeuvre.

I'm going to quote the lyrics in full again here, so that some credulous half-wit with no critical faculties can pop up to defend them - those posts are always good for a laugh:

"Night And Day"

When I feel I'm breaking up
And I seen, I seen too much
Oh, I been, been all hung up
Watch the scene in some hotspot
All my dreams I'm making up
Philosophy, I give it up
How to feel, what now, so what?
Gets too real in the hotspot

Too much shell shock for me
Call the gods, please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new days
Let's dance the new ways
All for you and all for me
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new ways
Forever blue days
One for you and one for me, so

Fuse burns up (fuse burns up)
The world stirs up (the world stirs up)
The world shakes up (the world shakes up)
The mood burns up, oh-oh-oh

What I need, it never stops
All my fears and I get got
Make a deal, I'll take the lot
Just wanna breathe in the hotspot

So much tick-tock to me
Stop the clock please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
The deja vu days
All for you and all for me, so
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
Forever blue days
New night and new day
New find to do day
New night and new day
Forever today

I don't agree. I think it's a shit pop songs. Lyrics are shit. Music is shit. The vocals are shit. That doesn't leave much room for manoeuvre.

I'm going to quote the lyrics in full again here, so that some credulous half-wit with no critical faculties can pop up to defend them - those posts are always good for a laugh:

"Night And Day"

Philosophy, I give it up

Call the gods, please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new days
Let's dance the new ways
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new ways
Forever blue days

So much tick-tock to me
Stop the clock please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
The deja vu days
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
Forever blue days
New night and new day
New find to do day
New night and new day
Forever today

Well if that's your opinion that's fine, others may have a different opinion and that's fine too.

"Night And Day"

Philosophy, I give it up

Call the gods, please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new days
Let's dance the new ways
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new ways
Forever blue days

So much tick-tock to me
Stop the clock please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
The deja vu days
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
Forever blue days
New night and new day
New find to do day
New night and new day
Forever today

:)
very commendable(y)
alerting the readership as to the utter shanda of the :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
so called 'songs':poop:
only a docile LePew truckler would opine otherwise. :thumb:

the abominable suco LePew 'material' all of it is suco:yum:

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
The deja vu days
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
Forever blue days
New night and new day
New find to do day
New night and new day
Forever today

new night new day
one for you and one for me
HELLO:brows:
HI:brows:
HELLO:brows:
GOODBYE:flamethrow:
BYE:flamethrow:
BYE BYE:flamethrow:
HI HI HELLO:blush:
new night new day
(what a disgrace :censored:)

Confession: I've never really listened to any of Marr's solo work (or with other bands, to be honest), before. I adored him in the Smiths, of course.

I've just listened to all of the 9 tracks that are currently available from Fever Dreams, pts. 1-4 and...I just don't get it. He clearly has amazing musical knowledge and taste but so much of this just makes me think of indie/dance/rock by numbers from the early 90s. The vocal melodies are almost non-existent (apart from the chorus to "Night and Day", which just about sticks). The lyrics appear to be trying their hardest to say absolutely nothing. At its best, the music sounds like a Noel Gallagher album track but with none of Noel's grasp of melody, or hook. If this was by an unknown artist, it simply wouldn't get signed up by a record company.

In a way, it's almost like Johnny's turned int0 (or always was?) the polar opposite of Morrissey. With Morrissey, there's almost too much: too many opinions, too much wordplay, too much of himself in everything; with Marr, from listening to this, I would have literally no idea what kind of person he is. It sounds like the music they'd have on in the background of an "alt-rock" nightclub in a scene from a really shit Hollywood movie. And it just feels jarring, the blandness of this stuff, when Johnny clearly still thinks of himself as some kind of Postcard/Rough Trade/Factory guy. Ah well.

I've just listened to all of the 9 tracks that are currently available from Fever Dreams, pts. 1-4 and...I just don't get it.
I'd recommend going through some of the previous three albums before completely dismissing him as a solo artist - whilst there's been the odd duff track, there's been stuff that I've really enjoyed on each of those - whilst nothing I've heard so far has excitied me about this new one. This similarly titled track from the last album is much stronger, IMHO - maybe it's just going to be a slightly duff album?
Even his stronger solo tracks however, he does appear almost bashful of putting anything confessional or too personal in the lyrics, so it often turns into meaningless word salad about vague concepts. Several times I've not even got what a song was supposed to be about until I've read an interview with him. Not sure if it's just a stylistic preference, or if he's so wary of comparisons with Morrissey that he steers in the opposite direction, but it is slightly dissapointing.

"Night And Day"

Philosophy, I give it up

Call the gods, please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new days
Let's dance the new ways
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times, new ways
Forever blue days

So much tick-tock to me
Stop the clock please

New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
The deja vu days
New night, new day
New kinda new way
New times and new ways
Forever blue days
New night and new day
New find to do day
New night and new day
Forever today

I love this song! I guess you must like it enough to post the lyrics! Thanks.

you seem to be the only one.

Maybe on this site but on his social media sites where he has 850k followers, there's plenty of people who like it. Oh and BMG must be ok with it seeing as they signed him and are releasing the song along with his album.

Personally I'm not keen on it and think it's the weakest song he's released in a while.

I love this song! I guess you must like it enough to post the lyrics! Thanks.

I like posts like this enough to post the lyrics - people expressing admiration for the song is almost more amusing than the lyrics themselves. But not quite.

Maybe on this site but on his social media sites where he has 850k followers, there's plenty of people who like it.

Rounding up 850,000 simpletons on social media is not an achievement. That's a worldwide following that's less than the population of Birmingham.

Back
Top Bottom