Johnny Weir responds to commentators who questioned his gender

lainey

Johnny Weir held a press conference Wednesday in Vancouver to address remarks made by two veteran sports commentators during the Olympics suggesting that his fabulousness (our word) is a bad example of, and for, male figure skaters and joking that he should undergo a gender test.

Weir began by joking that he grew stubble for the press conference to show that he’s a man, but his tone quickly got serious. he’s not asking for an apology. He says he believes in free speech and wouldn’t want these men fired for expressing their opinion. (“I’ve heard worse in bathrooms and whatnot about me,” he quipped.) He just wants them to think before they speak — and to imagine the damage they could do to people like him and to generations of children whose parents may not give them the same freedom and support his did if they think their child will only be ridiculed for being who he or she is. “I would challenge anyone to question my upbringing and question my parents’ ideals and feelings about bringing up me and my brother, who’s completely different from me but taught very much the same way that I was,” Weir said. (The conviction in his voice during that statement had to have made his parents as proud as any medal he could’ve won.)

There’s a reason he’s calling attention to the situation: “Even my gender has been questioned. I want that to be public because I don’t want 50 years from now more young boys and girls to have to go through this sort of thing and to have their whole life basically questioned for no reason other than to make a joke and to make people watch their television program,” he said. He summed up his message — ”I hope more kids can grow up the same way that I did and more kids can feel the freedom that I feel to be themselves and to express themselves” — and his belief that the concepts of masculinity and femininity are old-fashioned. “There’s a whole generation of people that aren’t defined by their sex or their race or by who they like to sleep with. I think as a person you know what your values are and what you believe in, and I think that’s the most important thing.”

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6-MAmhGKsU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6-MAmhGKsU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

According to The Canadian Press, Claude Mailhot of the French-language RDS network began by saying, “This may not be politically correct, but do you think he lost points due to his costume and his body language?” Alain Goldberg responded saying Weir’s femininity may reflect poorly on other male figure skaters.”They’ll think all the boys who skate will end up like him. It sets a bad example.” Goldberg is also quoted as saying, “We should make him [Weir] pass a gender test at this point,” and Mailhot then joking that Weir should compete in the women’s competition. The two broadcasters later issued an on-air apology.

What a shame he wears fur!!!!!!!:mad:

I'm surprised no one commented on now Morrissey-esque his sentiments are.:tears:

I think masculinity is what you believe it to be. To me, masculinity is all my perception. I think masculinity and femininity is something that's very old fashioned. There's a whole new generation of people that aren't defined by their sex or their race or who they like to sleep with. I think as a person you know what your values are and what you believe in and I that''s the most important thing

I'm surprised no one commented on now Morrissey-esque his sentiments are.:tears:

possibly because they're not 'morrissey-esque sentiments'.

morrissey wasn't the first person to realise that sex, gender and sexuality are social and cultural phenomena; he was just repeating what he had read in books written by other people.

I think masculinity is what you believe it to be. To me, masculinity is all my perception. I think masculinity and femininity is something that's very old fashioned. There's a whole new generation of people that aren't defined by their sex or their race or who they like to sleep with. I think as a person you know what your values are and what you believe in and I that''s the most important thing

This quote is my favorite part too. I love him for what he said. He's so pretty too! The fur thing is really not cool though.

This quote is my favorite part too. I love him for what he said. He's so pretty too! The fur thing is really not cool though.

I know, he's great and I am aware that this has been focused on my numberous others like Bowie, Quentin Crisp and Wilde to name a few but this young man is been verbally mocked and ridiculed in front of millions of people by commentators right NOW! He handles himself with eloquence and grace.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qTaVkbl3Dp4&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qTaVkbl3Dp4&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I know, he's great and I am aware that this has been focused on my numberous others like Bowie, Quentin Crisp and Wilde to name a few but this young man is been verbally mocked and ridiculed in front of millions of people by commentators right NOW! He handles himself with eloquence and grace.

Yes, he does.

JohnnyWeir-muscles.jpg

johnny_blackbook_mag_12.jpg

6a00d8341c730253ef00e54f4e46e38833-.jpg

lainey, are you sure that you are a lesbian? I mean, I already had this funny feeling that you have a crush on Jake, obsessed as you are with his pictures and pictures of him. And now you post pictures of this ice skating pin up...

erm, I'm allowed to like ice skating. we have just had the winter olympics.
Do you know that this is a man?

As for been obsessed with Jake, I'm unsure why you think that, have you got the right person. If I post pictures on the frink thread it's because they are good.

I've just read the beginning.......lesbian! who told you that?:eek:

I always thought lainey was male? :confused:

:lbf:
who the hell is Silke? when have I ever spoken about me or my personel life?
(except to say that I'm dyslexia)
My posts are mainly about Morrissey(99%)

I'm actually not a lesbian, I don't know Silke, I am a women but none of these three things are important.

lainey, are you sure that you are a lesbian? I mean, I already had this funny feeling that you have a crush on Jake, obsessed as you are with his pictures and pictures of him. And now you post pictures of this ice skating pin up...

:crazy:

She used to be:lbf:

OK, I'll hold my hand up...so did I.... coz the first posts I saw her on was football related....so I naturally assumed......:o:o

Jukebox Jury

:lbf:
who the hell is Silke? when have I ever spoken about me or my personel life?
(except to say that I'm dyslexia)
My posts are mainly about Morrissey(99%)

I'm actually not a lesbian, I don't know Silke, I am a women but none of these three things are important.

sorry, I'm not dyslexia.....I'm dyslexic.(pointed it out before someone else did)

I can vouch for lainey's hetrosexuality..... see my post in ''Real Life Confessions'' in the Pigsty:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

I can vouch for lainey's hetrosexuality..... see my post in ''Real Life Confessions'' in the Pigsty:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

what number post?

I haven't posted it yet..... shall I write about the gang bang in the hotel after the Sheffield gig:eek: or the public toilets in Lime Street train station after the ill fated Liverpool gig?:squiffy:

Maybe I should start a new thread with a poll?:D

Jukebox Jury

I haven't posted it yet..... shall I write about the gang bang in the hotel after the Sheffield gig:eek: or the public toilets in Lime Street train station after the ill fated Liverpool gig?:squiffy:

Maybe I should start a new thread with a poll?:D

Jukebox Jury

I think it's best to be a gentleman which is apparently what I've been doing since I joined this forum.

Great ice skating, what he does on these pictures! :straightface:
If you read back I asked you if you are sure that you are a lesbian. So obviously you are not. Interesting reactions. :crazy:

This make no sense.

was the post suppose to be a relection of the fact you think Johnny looks female.confused:
I took it as been rude.

Back
Top Bottom