Jonathan Ross quits BBC

I am a Ghost

By Sherna Noah, Press Association

Thursday, 7 January 2010

Jonathan Ross is quitting the BBC, he said today.

The controversial broadcaster is leaving after 13 years at the Corporation.

Ross has been one of the biggest faces at the BBC, with his Friday night chat show, his Radio 2 show and his film review programme.

His salary, a reported £18 million over three years, and the scandal over actor Andrew Sachs have recently caused controversy.

Ross, 49, said in a statement that he had decided not to renegotiate his contract when it ends at the end of July.

He said: "Although I have had a wonderful time working for the BBC, and am very proud of the shows I have made while there, over the last two weeks I have decided not to re-negotiate when my current contract comes to an end.

"While there I have worked with some of the nicest and most talented people in the industry and had the opportunity to interview some of the biggest stars in the world, and am grateful to the BBC for such a marvellous experience.

"I would like to make it perfectly clear that no negotiations ever took place and that my decision is not financially motivated.

"I signed my current contract with the BBC having turned down more lucrative offers from other channels because it was where I wanted to be and - as I have said before - would happily have stayed there for any fee they cared to offer, but there were other considerations.

"I love making my Friday night talk show, my Saturday morning radio show and the Film Programme, and will miss them all.

"I look forward to continuing work on these shows until the Summer, and I will continue hosting the Bafta Film Awards, Comic Relief and other BBC specials.

"Working at the BBC has been a tremendous privilege, and I would like to thank everyone who has watched and listened so loyally over the last 13 years".

A spokeswoman for Sachs said the actor was busy working and unavailable for comment.

The news follows reports that Ross's future at the BBC was looking increasingly uncertain.

Graham Norton, who is seen as a chat-show rival, was a rumoured replacement for his Friday night chat show, according to reports, while Mark Kermode could have been lined up to take the star's review slot, Film 2010.

If that happened, Ross would have been left with his Saturday morning Radio 2 show and a huge pay cut.

Ross had offered to take a 50% pay cut when his contract expired, which would have slashed his annual salary by £3 million.

But his spokesman said he was not in the middle of pay negotiations and said he would continue at the BBC until the summer.

Yesterday, Ross wrote on his Twitter page that he was meeting someone from Los Angeles. The Tweet followed speculation that the star would go to work in the US.

He wrote: "It's annoying but someone has flown in from LA so it would be rude not to show up!"

Today he Tweeted: "Good morning. My day is turning out to be far more interesting then I had anticipated! See you later - have a good one."

Jana Bennett, director of BBC Vision, said she could "understand" Ross's decision "following a difficult year".

She said: "Jonathan Ross has told us that he's decided not to pursue the renewal of his contract with the BBC.

"Jonathan is an extremely talented broadcaster and his programmes for BBC TV and radio have been a great success.

"However, it's been a difficult year for him and I understand why he feels it's the right thing to do.

"I'm pleased that Jonathan will continue to apply his considerable abilities to the remaining six months of Friday Night, Film 2010 and his Radio 2 show, and I'm delighted that he will continue to present the Bafta awards and Comic Relief for BBC Television."

Ross has been one of the biggest broadcasters of his generation.

In 2008, the controversial host was suspended for three months making a series of phone calls to actor Andrew Sachs on Russell Brand's Radio 2 show.

Ross and Brand's messages sparked more than 50,000 complaints - and led to Brand's decision to quit his radio show.

Mark Linsey, controller of entertainment commissioning at the BBC, said conversations had been taking place over the past few weeks.

He said: "It's something that has been finalised over the last few days."

He said Ross had gone on record as saying the situation was not about money.

"He likes and enjoys working with the BBC," Mr Linsey said.

"This is a decision he has made himself."

He said Ross "remains a very talented broadcaster".

He added that the star was having some time out and spending time with his family.

Mr Linsey was speaking at a BBC 3 launch in central London.

In a later message to his fans on Twitter, Ross said: "Hello again. Thanks for all the kind words about my decision.

"I feel sad that I can't keep making the shows so many of you love!"

He added: "Don't worry, I won't stop tweeting!."

I for two, too ....he's such a sycophantic ass-licking twonk....Never did see what made him so special..... admittedly, he's not a bad film reviewer....but Toe-cringingly SHITE as an interviewer.....

Greedy f***er that one. Hopefully now we will get an interviewer who concentrates more on their interviewee than themselves!

I for one am glad he's gone.

Wow, I'm not sure how you got greedy from that article. The article claimed he offered to take a pay cut twice to work at the BBC.

To me, he's funny and charming.

Wow, I'm not sure how you got greedy from that article. The article claimed he offered to take a pay cut twice to work at the BBC.

To me, he's funny and charming.

Yeah but you've not had to put up with him for 13 long years...I liked him once upon a time before realising that he is just sycophantic and pathetic. I can't stand the way he delivers what he considers to be his "witticisms". Most of the time he laughs louder and longer than the audience, at which point he just reverts to shock value.

Good riddance to him.

We'll take him off your hands.

Good riddance.:guitar:
The salary he recieves (funded by licence fee payers) should now be put to saving the jobs of many backroom staff that were facing redundancy.
Let's see how much his market value is worth by seeing how much independant stations will be prepared to offer him in the current climate.
He'll be flogging the Big Issue within a year.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
The salary he recieves (funded by licence fee payers) can now be put to saving the jobs of many backroom staff that were facing redundancy.

Jukebox Jury

Can't see that happening.

will the new interviewer get some one different to jack dee, ricky gervais and gordon ramsey to come on the show every other week?

Good riddance.:guitar:
The salary he recieves (funded by licence fee payers) can now be put to saving the jobs of many backroom staff that were facing redundancy.
Let's see how much his market value is worth by seeing how much independant stations will be prepared to offer him in the current climate.

That's the way I feel about the huge salaries of sports athletes.

Ross will be doing great... earning more money, relaxing by the pool in sunny LA next to Moz and Russell Brand.

I have to wonder if people think he's greedy just because he gets paid a lot, and think he's a sycophant just because he's friendly and congenial. The two aren't the same. We hate it when our friends become successful.

Ross will be doing great... earning more money, relaxing by the pool in sunny LA next to Moz and Russell Brand.

I have to wonder if people think he's greedy just because he gets paid a lot, and think he's a sycophant just because he's friendly and congenial. The two aren't the same. We hate it when our friends become successful.

I suggest you to listen his show online if you can.

When PJ Harvey was on his radio show, Wossy admitted that he even hadn't listened her award winning album 'Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea'.

I enjoyed his break-though 'Last Resort' on Channel 4 in late 80s, but I don't bother watching / listening his shows unless Morrissey's on.

Last edited:

I have absolutely no problem with sports men / women earning huge fortunes as it is not coming from the publics money other than by those members of the public who chose to pay to watch said athletes and businesses through sponsorship. Yes, I know if Nike pay X amount of millions to sponsor an athlete, the money comes from the public, but the public can decide whether they buy Nike or not. I had a mobile phone with Vodafone a few years ago - Vodaphone then sponsored manchester united and their name was on the shirt. I changed my mobile phone as a result.

The BBC is funded through extortion money. Someone who does not even watch any BBC programmes but owns a TV set has to pay by law the licence fee or face the courts. Out of this extortion money, the BBC pays £18m to Wossy. The UK public has no say on how their money is squandered on such contracts. Just pay up and shut up.

Supporters of such contracts say 'we have to pay the best to keep people here or we will lose them' (funny, high ranking bankers say the same thing about their positions!) - I say call their bluff and see how far they don't run. As the BBC's income is guarenteed, it doesn't have to compete for ratings as commercial TV has to rely on ratings for advertising reasons. The BEEB can drop shite like Woss and concentrate on quality programmes costing a lot less to produce rather than having a Friday evening show that - on the whole - brought in fellow BBC actors to plug their latest BBC show, book, keep fit video or whatever. (see, no adverts on the BBC at all:rolleyes:)

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Re: NME's report

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/49116
Jonathan Ross' decision to leave the BBC could have a big impact on British music gaining exposure on primetime television, a leading industry figure has warned.

The talk show host announced today (January 7) that he his quitting the corporation - including his radio and film shows along with the TV staple Friday Night… With Jonathan Ross.

Ross' Friday evening show features a weekly music slot, and the manager of bands including The Cribs and Kaiser Chiefs has warned if it is not replaced the "hole" it leaves could spell trouble for the British music industry.

"Like him or loathe him, its undeniable Jonathan Ross has given artists one of the few platforms to reach a mainstream audience in the UK," James Sandom of Super Vision Management told NME.COM. He added: "His show was one of the few avenues for developing artists to guarantee mass TV exposure."

Sandom added that he hoped the corporation would move to provide a similar opportunity for bands after Ross' departure.

"I hope the BBC fill the hole left by Jonathan's departure with a show that still provides this opportunity," he said. "UK artists and the music business in this country needs this."

Ross has declared that he will not renew his BBC contract when it expires in July.

Re: NME's report

Thanks Kewpie, interesting quote (seriously!)

Usual self interest nonsence - 'The world is going to end coz Wossy wont have one band on his show each week anymore'.
Music survived for decades before Woss and will survive for decades without him:rolleyes:

The King is dead, long live the King (or Queen if it is Graham Norton:D)

Jukebox Jury

When PJ Harvey was on his radio show, Wossy admitted that he even hadn't listened her award winning album 'Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea'.

I don't bother watching / listening his shows unless Morrissey's on.

:confused:

Good riddance. He's a c***. But they'll just replace him with another c***, lets face it.

I for two, too ....he's such a sycophantic ass-licking twonk....Never did see what made him so special..... admittedly, he's not a bad film reviewer....but Toe-cringingly SHITE as an interviewer.....

Agreed, and I hope he does piss off and annoy the americans, (i give him 6 months, they'll never stand his awful smut humour)

oh happy day. :)

Wow, that is some good pay for only a couple of days a week work. He must have something else in the works to drop his current position.

Being from the USA, I know of him but am not that familiar with him to know whether he is any good at what he does or not. The little I saw of him was him interviewing Morrissey.

Agreed, and I hope he does piss off and annoy the americans, (i give him 6 months, they'll never stand his awful smut humour)

oh happy day. :)

Similar to Graham Norton who brought his thing here and didn't last very long at all.

Tags
stfu
Back
Top Bottom