Kelis rejects PETA demands to stop wearing fur

Some of what you say here is massively weird and wrong, though you're right about minks not being rodents. They're mustelidae, like stoats. Who everyone loves.

I'm 100% sure I agree with you on this whole issue as far as coats go, but if you're going to try to trump Kelis' luxurious furry goodness card with your intelligence card, don't f*** it up so bad.

Also, the "meaty and delicious" line was pretty priceless, and I'm going to use it.

Ummm, okay? What exactly have I said that is "massively weird and wrong", and what, exactly, am I f***ing up? :confused: Please, enlighten me.

As for taxonomy:

The American Mink (Mustela vison): Order Carnivora, Family Mustelidae. "The American Mink belongs to the genus Mustela, which includes other small, sinuous predators, such as stoats, weasels and polecats, and includes the smallest of all predatory mammals, the least weasel...Mustelids, which also include otters, badgers, skunks and the wolverine, are placed within the order Carnivora." (The Encyclopedia of Animals, by Dr. Per Christiansen, page 159.)

The Chinchilla (Chinchilla laniger and Chinchilla brevicaudata): Order Rodentia, Family Chinchillidae. "The family Chinchillidae also includes the visachas, which comprise 3 mountain species and 1 plains species. Chinchillas and visachas are among 1814 members of the order Rodentia." ( The Encyclopedia of Animals, page 430.)

It's not that simple. What the issue of abortion really comes down to is, "Is a woman a full human being with the right to control her own body?" An anti-abortion stance is incompatible with the belief that women are full human beings. You've given birth before, so you know that it's no walk in the park--would you want to be forced to carry a child to term, then give birth to it? How about if the pregnancy is the result of a rape? How about if the pregnancy threatens both your life and the life of the fetus?

What we forget in this day and time is that pregnancy and birth can still be dangerous to the mother. Yes, there are still women, even here in the United States, who die in childbirth. In the rest of the world, pregnancy, childbirth, and botched abortion attempts (in places where abortion is illegal, or difficult for poor women to obtain), which are all placed in the category of "maternal mortality", are a top (perhaps even the number one) cause of death for women of childbearing age.

A person who is anti-abortion is saying that a woman does not have complete rights over her own body. A fetus, at any stage of development, is still a part of the mother's body. Certainly, in the first and second trimesters, the embryo/fetus cannot even survive as an entity separate from the mother. Any person, I believe, should have complete control of his or her own body. If I get shot, I would like the rights to have the bullet removed from my body. If one of my kidneys fail, I would like to have the rights to have it removed from my body. If (deity or deities forbid) I get cancer, I would like the rights to have the tumor removed from my body.

I do not want to live in a world where I am not in complete control over my own body. I do not want to live in a world where I am not a full human being.

Spot on. Thank you for writing that.

What about a woman's right to choose? :confused:

What about an animal's right to live?

And as for abortion...frankly I think those women who REPEATEDLY RELY on it as a form of contraception are a disgrace.

However...if the woman has been raped, or the contraception has failed, or was forgotten/misused in an isolated incident, and the mother is in no fit state, whether financially, mentally or physically, to bring a child into the world then they should be able to choose whether or not to abort the fetus. As long as it's not at a stage where it is able to feel pain or could survive with medical support...

Personally, I could never abort. I'd find a way to support my child.

Anyway back on topic. Kelis is a vain bitch.

I get a good laugh out of all you animal protectors getting all bent out of shape over something like this.

So many people are in a tizzy that some nobody is wearing rodents.

There are probably thousands of moz-solo users who wear leather. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who are so anti-fur are actually wearing leather shoes or belts or something as they whine about some dead muskrat.

You guys make me laugh. Thank you.

Ummm, okay? What exactly have I said that is "massively weird and wrong", and what, exactly, am I f***ing up? :confused: Please, enlighten me.

As for taxonomy:

The American Mink (Mustela vison): Order Carnivora, Family Mustelidae. "The American Mink belongs to the genus Mustela, which includes other small, sinuous predators, such as stoats, weasels and polecats, and includes the smallest of all predatory mammals, the least weasel...Mustelids, which also include otters, badgers, skunks and the wolverine, are placed within the order Carnivora." (The Encyclopedia of Animals, by Dr. Per Christiansen, page 159.)

The Chinchilla (Chinchilla laniger and Chinchilla brevicaudata): Order Rodentia, Family Chinchillidae. "The family Chinchillidae also includes the visachas, which comprise 3 mountain species and 1 plains species. Chinchillas and visachas are among 1814 members of the order Rodentia." ( The Encyclopedia of Animals, page 430.)

The order Carnivora does not mean the same thing as "carnivore". I know it's splitting hairs, but if you're going to go for the sneering "I'm so right/she's so thick" angle, these things are very important.

I get a good laugh out of all you animal protectors getting all bent out of shape over something like this.

There are probably thousands of moz-solo users who wear leather. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who are so anti-fur are actually wearing leather shoes or belts or something as they whine about some dead muskrat.

Actually, I don't wear leather of any kind, or own any leather products.

There are many reasons to be angry at people who wear fur. If you're a vegetarian and animal-rights supporter, like me, you're angry that animals are being killed for no good reason at all. If you have a heart and a sense of empathy, then you're horrified that fur-bearing animals are killed by anal electrocution, and/or skinned alive. How would you like to be skinned alive? If you love cats and dogs, then you're disgusted that some fur companies actually use dog and cat fur (primarily from China) in their products, and label them as being from another species.

The order Carnivora does not mean the same thing as "carnivore". I know it's splitting hairs, but if you're going to go for the sneering "I'm so right/she's so thick" angle, these things are very important.

In the case of the mink, it does, and the mink was what I was talking about.

I'm not surprised that your response to my question was so lame. You were attacking me for no good reason at all.

a further point is that Kelis is not notable so much for wearing fur, but for the comments she made about it. Some of my best friends eat meat, but if they were to make the sorts of comments she did about meat-eating I would think of them differently.

s25j42.jpg

So it's all or nothing. To be consistent, one has to wear no animal products whatsoever, or they're a hypocrite. Okaaaaay....

It's about reducing one's footprint / impact. Wearing fur is unnecessary, as there are suitable replacements. Fur coats are also gruesome looking to some because they look and feel very much like dead animals. Not necessarily so with leather shoes and belts.

Also, it's disturbing for someone to show such ignorant disregard of the facts while arrogantly, angrily promoting the wearing of fur.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQSqBG2ji7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQSqBG2ji7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Don't know who she is, but violence truly begets violence and i'm sure if i met her, i'd never get tired shouting abuse at her.... nah, i'd probably just say something nasty under my breath and get my face punched by her entourage for the privilege.

There's never an excuse for killing anything - except self defense.

So it's all or nothing. To be consistent, one has to wear no animal products whatsoever, or they're a hypocrite. Okaaaaay....

It's about reducing one's footprint / impact. Wearing fur is unnecessary, as there are suitable replacements. Fur coats are also gruesome looking to some because they look and feel very much like dead animals. Not necessarily so with leather shoes and belts.

I can't honestly see wearing leather and being against fur. You can find alternatives to leather if animal rights are that important to you. I'm not sure how one could stand around in a leather jacket throwing paint on someone's ferret shawl.

Also, it's disturbing for someone to show such ignorant disregard of the facts while arrogantly, angrily promoting the wearing of fur.

And maybe because Morrissey does it.:rolleyes:

this is totally my fave Kelis song.

Off the hook. My favorite is "Bossy".

"I'm the bitch you love to hate
I'm the chick that's raised the stake
I told young stunna he should switch to Bape
I'm back with an 808 'cause I'm bossy"

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
hbiculuv2h8
Back
Top Bottom