Kes: 40th Anniversary

Great find, JJ. Let's hope we get a definitive DVD with deleted scenes, etc. Truly a British classic that I love.

Last edited:
The scene where the pupils are lined up in the headmasters office and an innocent pupil gets is told to go in by mistake and the head won't listen to the innocent little boy and they are all given the cane. It's the tears welling up in his eyes.

The scene where the pupils are lined up in the headmasters office and an innocent pupil gets is told to go in by mistake and the head won't listen to the innocent little boy and they are all given the cane. It's the tears welling up in his eyes.

lainey, the story of that was told on that clip, but i read it in a book of all Loach's films.
The boys were told they would not be caned...... then at the last minute, Loach told the head to whack them....including the little boy....told just to ignore everything the little boy says......
Loach said the only way he could film the agony of being caned...was to cane them.....
After the first take, the boys revolted and refused to continue..... but then agreed a fee of 50p per further whack:lbf:
They had to film from the front and also behind.
But the little lad, they 'only' caned him the once:eek:

Jukebox Jury

lainey, the story of that was told on that clip, but i read it in a book of all Loach's films.
The boys were told they would not be caned...... then at the last minute, Loach told the head to whack them....including the little boy....told just to ignore everything the little boy says......
Loach said the only way he could film the agony of being caned...was to cane them.....
After the first take, the boys revolted and refused to continue..... but then agreed a fee of 50p per further whack:lbf:
They had to film from the front and also behind.
But the little lad, they 'only' caned him the once:eek:

Jukebox Jury

I didn't watch the clip, I will now.
Poor kids that's out of order by Ken Loach. 50p!!!!

You could get into a football stadium for around that (adult) which now costs anything up to £50 in some cases:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

I know, but that doesn't mean inflation has risen by that amount just the price of football tickets.

50p in the 70's got you what? It was £2 for Anfield.
My point is Ken could have bought them a bike each.

I know, but that doesn't mean inflation has risen by that amount just the price of football tickets.

50p in the 70's got you what? It was £2 for Anfield.
My point is Ken could have bought them a bike each.

:lbf:
Well it was 1970..... so actually it was pre-decimilisation.
It was £1.50 for adults on The Kippax in 1979, so would have been well cheaper in 1970

When I was 16 in 1979 and buying my first pint.... it was around 60 - 65p a pint.... and around 14p for a bag of chips:thumb::yum:

Jukebox Jury

Thet poor kids eyes really get to you.brian glover was hilarious

Ken Loach is my favourite director, Kes is a british institute. Im actually writing a disertation at the moment for Uni on British Social Realism and Ken Loach features heavily i.e. Kes, Cathy Come Home, Up the Junction ect ect

ITV 3 now..............poor lad's just been caned

Ken Loach is my favourite director, Kes is a british institute. Im actually writing a disertation at the moment for Uni on British Social Realism and Ken Loach features heavily i.e. Kes, Cathy Come Home, Up the Junction ect ect

He did ''Up The Junction''????:guitar:
Very good film - and not very often screened - starring Dennis Waterman and Maureen Lipman!

ITV 3 now..............poor lad's just been caned

Really? Just on TV? I haven't got one at the moment:tears:

Jukebox Jury

He did ''Up The Junction''????:guitar:
Very good film - and not very often screened - starring Dennis Waterman and Maureen Lipman!

Really? Just on TV? I haven't got one at the moment:tears:

Jukebox Jury

Not that one, that was a remake of ken loachs original play for today version, which is better and more social realistic

It's the one film I can't watch,too upsetting.
Haven't dared watch it since I first saw it around 14.

Absolutely wonderful film, makes me cry every time I watch it.

Back
Top Bottom