Ladies, I need advice on how to be a lady

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
OK, general thoughts.....

1) Quality is worth it. Don’t buy the cheapest shit out there. Pay a little more. Here at least Sally Hansen or OPI brand from the drug store not the cheap dollar a bottle shit.

2) use a base coat with a quick dry formula. I like one that functions as both base and top coat.

3 multiple thin coats not one thick one. Ignore bottles that tell you you only need one. YOU need to build up slowly as you’re learning. Let each one dry for 2-3 minutes in between.

4) top coat w/quick dry. Or buy quick dry in a dropper.

5) don’t use your hands for anything for like a half an hour while it cures. I mean it! Don’t touch anything.

Don’t go to sleep for at least a couple hours and don’t let any blanket/pillow touch your hands do it stays glossy while it cures.

Once you get that down, we can talk about tools - emeryboards, orange wood stocks, etc. We can also talk about toenails, then.

Girl, you need help!!!!
^^She knows so much about these things!

One thing to add:
If you have access to a hair dryer, that'll make it dry far faster and also make it less likely to chip.

Other general “Lady” advice:
Oh, and keep your legs together or crossed at the ankles when in dresses and skirts unless you’re with your special someone and it’s “that time.” No one else wants to see your cootchie!

If it's within your budget, I recommend having them done by a professional. Can you wear polish everyday or do you need to have short, clean nails at times?
Go have it done and have them teach you. Or just watch. Practice makes perfect. I only pay when I’m at a spa. Otherwise I do my own mani/pedi’s as I’m too cheap. I have an enormous stash of polishes in nearly every color. Too bad you’re not closer or I would give you a lesson.

Buy polish remover that’s labeled something like for “extra strong color.” It’s power is well worth it especially if you start using dark reds, blacks and chocolates.

I don’t think you care about animal friendly make up as I don’t recall you being vegan/vegetarian. Be aware, if you do care, that most polishes are not veg and the shimmer comes from things like crushed beetles. Vegan brand I like is Spa Ritual. I also love Butter London but don’t believe that’s vegan.

Last thought for awhile.... nail polish remover contains acetone which is a carcinogen. I tried for awhile to use the non-acetone formulas. But honestly, they work for shit, especially on dark or bold colors. Skip those but only use the acetone stuff as much as you need to do the job. Don’t soak your nails in it like you’ll see some people do.

You have to put the polish on fast, before it begins to dry.

I tried! But I like to be as exact as possible when I do things...sometimes to my detriment.
vdjzno.gif

If it's within your budget, I recommend having them done by a professional. Can you wear polish everyday or do you need to have short, clean nails at times?

I need shortish, clean nails most of the time. I usually only get the chance to do this on the weekends for now. I’m growing them out currently but I can’t let them get to tiny dagger sized proportions. Maybe I should just do press ons?

I need shortish, clean nails most of the time. I usually only get the chance to do this on the weekends for now. I’m growing them out currently but I can’t let them get to tiny dagger sized proportions. Maybe I should just do press ons?
FYI - The adhesive used to stick them on is really tough on your real nails. For special occasions maybe but I wouldn’t do it regularly. They are also a good way to get nail fungus.

no! it's not rocket science, pal!

although I think it will be easier when your nails are longer, because right now you're probably worried about getting it on the tip of your thumb, so your applications wont be as smooth. your hands don't shake, do they?

My left hand isn’t very steady...which doesn’t make much sense as I was naturally left handed but forced to learn everything with my right.

Yes, I was worried about “coloring outside the lines”. I like to be exact.

I haven't had a good experience with press-ons. They never stayed on nor fit properly. I recommend a professional manicure. Then follow TAT's advice on polishing.

I don't think being a lady has anything to do with a manicure. Sorry, but it is not that easy.

OK, general thoughts.....

1) Quality is worth it. Don’t buy the cheapest shit out there. Pay a little more. Here at least Sally Hansen or OPI brand from the drug store not the cheap dollar a bottle shit.

I didn’t buy any yet. These are @nothappynotsad ’s old stuff. Like, there are a bunch of different ones. OPI, Revlon, I think Essie...is that a thing? I have no idea whether they are quality or not. Don’t really want to spend money until I know what I’m doing.

2) use a base coat with a quick dry formula. I like one that functions as both base and top coat.

Yeah, I didn’t do that. I don’t think she even has one.

3 multiple thin coats not one thick one. Ignore bottles that tell you you only need one. YOU need to build up slowly as you’re learning. Let each one dry for 2-3 minutes in between.

Ok. Thank you. That makes more sense.

4) top coat w/quick dry. Or buy quick dry in a dropper.

Ok, I’ll have to buy some of that. Thank you!

5) don’t use your hands for anything for like a half an hour while it cures. I mean it! Don’t touch anything.

Don’t go to sleep for at least a couple hours and don’t let any blanket/pillow touch your hands so it stays glossy while it cures.

Ok. Are you supposed to do this at night or something? She always applied hers at night.

Once you get that down, we can talk about tools - emery boards, orange wood sticks, etc. We can also talk about toenails, then.

Thank you so much!

Girl, you need help!!!!

I know. :cryingcat:

also you're applying it from cuticle to tip right, in straight verticle lines? also you don't need to go right up against your cuticle, it's okay to leave a little space.

Yes...the issue was it didn’t seem to run on smooth like I thought it would. There was resistance and it started to dry and clump. Maybe it was my fault for not using a base coat like TAT mentioned.

Dear ladies, I’m new to this lady thing and I could use some lady advice on how to be more ladylike...

Hair and make up, I’m ok with. Getting better. One thing I don’t understand how to do is apply nail polish! I originally tried like a week ago or so and it was a disaster. I looked like I had been tortured by the CIA.

View attachment 50211

I’ve talked to a few people about this and they all said I used too much...but I barely had any on the brush! Any advice is welcome! Is there such a thing as pre-polished press ons? Are there like, polish pens I could use instead to draw it on instead of painting it on? Please help me!
#wrekt

i want to know what kind of a girl you are. have you figured that out? you need to find out who your favourite designer is and that will tell you what kind of a girl you are. in case yall didn't catch on, im a marni girl through and through.if you want I can post samples of a wide variety of designers and then you can tell me which you like best, then ill tell you what kind of a girl you are.

I don’t know! I don’t know anything about designers!

Please do post samples. I’d like to know as well.

Back
Top Bottom