Lady GaGa

After she mentioned Years of Refusal was her favourite record of 2009, I decided to give her a try. I don't listen to the radio or watch TV, so I knew she existed only by magazines like Rolling Stone, which I read, and from friends who liked her.

I bought the Deluxe version of The Fame Monster, which comes with the original album The Fame and I was very impressed, specially with The Fame Monster. I don't think she is pop trash, at all. Her songs have something... larger-than-life - I do believe the chorus of 'Bad Romance' can be remembered many, many years from now and only time will prove me wrong or not. Other highlight from The Fame Monster, to me, is 'Dance in the Dark' - a simple pop tune, but very, very and absolutely catchy.

'Paparazzi', from The Fame, has a delicious chorus, I think everyone should listen to it if they already haven't. The video is also good - but not as good as 'Bad Romance''s.

After she mentioned Years of Refusal was her favourite record of 2009, I decided to give her a try. I don't listen to the radio or watch TV, so I knew she existed only by magazines like Rolling Stone, which I read, and from friends who liked her.

I bought the Deluxe version of The Fame Monster, which comes with the original album The Fame and I was very impressed, specially with The Fame Monster. I don't think she is pop trash, at all. Her songs have something... larger-than-life - I do believe the chorus of 'Bad Romance' can be remembered many, many years from now and only time will prove me wrong or not. Other highlight from The Fame Monster, to me, is 'Dance in the Dark' - a simple pop tune, but very, very and absolutely catchy.

'Paparazzi', from The Fame, has a delicious chorus, I think everyone should listen to it if they already haven't. The video is also good - but not as good as 'Bad Romance''s.

All of the notes bolded I am in total solidarity with. I love Lady GaGa.

Where did this happen? Would love to read it.

Am so glad that someone else has acutally given her a try before judging her: seems you came to the best conclusion too :p

ok, you know that scene in "High Fidelity" where John Cusack walks into the store and he hears this new music and hes like "who is this?" and Jack Black is like "its those little skate f***ers. theyre really f***ing good." they totally hate admitting but it's true.

i gave Lady Gaga a chance recently and that's kinda how I feel. she's really f***ing good. :straightface: *sigh*

there's a DJ here in Philly that does a "Beyonce/Britney/Gaga" dance night. I totally wanna go now. :o

I love her, compare her to the best we have to offer in cheryl cole, no f***ing contest, gaga is just so creative:thumb: cole can't even mime properly, that brits performance by her was bollocks, anyone watching it?

If you can, take some pics. I would love to see her new costumes.

I will certainly try. My camera is shit but will do my best. :thumb:

Impressed by her voice on the Brits, sounded pretty strong. Compared to cheryl cole, who struggled with miming and performing her dance moves simultaneously.

sooooooo excited :horny::horny::horny:

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ByiLIosTPA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ByiLIosTPA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Dear sweet titty-f***ing jesus.
I think this is where I show my age.
Ok, I grew up in the 80's - in a time where there were seperate music charts and no self-respecting Smiths fan would tollerate Stock Aitken and Waterman's audible diarrhea or similar.
Please, somebody, explain why this obvious cum-soaked, kylie fisting Maddona (with slightly more costume changes than the 2 put together) clone is credited with oodles of talent - whilst coming from the Aguilera school of warbling.
There is not one credible grain of 'interesting' in this pop puppet - if you've fallen for it - congratulations, there's an ad man out there with a cigar in his gob wishing to thank you. These types are a dime a dozen - to exhalt them is sad. How can you listen to Moz and then sing 'poker face' and REALLY feel her lyrics - bletch!!!
Is this one of those American things? Is this where the hidden 'gay' element of Moz fans comes 'out' to run riot in designer, ridiculous, frocks? Is it the tight production of the band that excites? Is it the strong female image she promotes? She is no more than Arron Carter with a (possible) vagina. Marketed and aimed at morons - the low-end of the music pond - buy her album - what's that she does clothes now? - gotta get them!!... hook , line and sinker....
Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? Of course not - you are too busy buying her products to read this....
Throw your Smiths records on to the fire - it's time to watch American Idol....

chilll out. it's okay to have a little fun now and then. morrissey, elliott smith, and radiohead are among my favorite artists, and although I would never put Lady Gaga in the same category as them, it's okay to balance that out with some fun, silly dance music once in a while, i think. i truly do believe there is such a thing as finely crafted pop music.

There's no need for me to chill.
I'm quite calm thanks.
I have an eclectic musical taste, but there appears to be a general commonality amongst people in these forums with reagrds to aspects of the pop industry - a lot of people here will have similar music collections.
People who scour the world for 3" Jap cd singles of Moz don't tend to clap hands and go 'whoooo' at some jolly 4 minute throw away pop song by the latest in thing.
Her presentation is dreck.
Prince plays all his instruments too and 'talent' is fine to recognise, but the vehicle for said and the 'bubble gum'' nature of it is ghastly.
She is at the opposite end of the spectrum for people who are drawn to the Moz's of this world.
It's more akin to pre-pube girls singing her tunes than sophisticated adults...
I can't understand the attraction.
Hang the DJ - hang the artist I say,
reagrds,
FWD

There's no need for me to chill.
I'm quite calm thanks.
I have an eclectic musical taste, but there appears to be a general commonality amongst people in these forums with reagrds to aspects of the pop industry - a lot of people here will have similar music collections.
People who scour the world for 3" Jap cd singles of Moz don't tend to clap hands and go 'whoooo' at some jolly 4 minute throw away pop song by the latest in thing.
Her presentation is dreck.
Prince plays all his instruments too and 'talent' is fine to recognise, but the vehicle for said and the 'bubble gum'' nature of it is ghastly.
She is at the opposite end of the spectrum for people who are drawn to the Moz's of this world.
It's more akin to pre-pube girls singing her tunes than sophisticated adults...
I can't understand the attraction.
Hang the DJ - hang the artist I say,
reagrds,
FWD

i had that impression of her initially too. but have you actually listened to her album (s)? i seriously just started listening to her THREE days ago. i'd resisted forever. i figured she had to suck since she was so mainstream, but i was wrong.

anyway, i dont really care what you do either way, but im really bored tonight, so im replying to you, heh.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE, I HATE LADY GAGA. i only like music that's intelligent, smug and morose. i get scared and confused when people tell me to "just dance" or "party hard" because i'm too busy looking for deleted smiths singles and original, NOT RE-RELEASED frank zappa albums to have any fun. lady gaga has no clever witticisms or deep philosophical revelations in her lyrics, which clearly means that her music is talentless and worthless to the world. people who can't see that she's just an illuminati puppet are obviously blind, deaf, and stupid, and are nothing but consumers of mass product.

by the way, since someone else made a HF reference, and i made it two, let's go for a trifecta: you guys think you're being the rob gordons of the world by bashing cheesy pop artists for being irrelevant, but you're really just the tweaked-out geeks salivating over beefheart french import records.

In response to the above: smug and morose are maybe not always favourable, but what's wrong with looking for meaning and intelligence in music? And cheesy pop artists- no matter whether they write their own songs, are completely independent blah blah blah- are irrelevant, at least to me and to many others. I'm not saying that it's not OK to enjoy listening to something catchy and upbeat, but I don't see the need to paint people who search for something deeper in the music they listen to as elitists, geeks or snobs.

Last edited:
Gaga was amazing in Manchester! The 2 hours she played more than made up for the umpteen costume changes, most of which were pretty tame.The weird "fringe" costume she wore towards the end was just plain weird.

Atmosphere was electric and the audience were as i expected (lots of glitter, face paint and under wear on show).

Highlights for me; speechless, brown eyes, beautiful dirty rich and bad romance.

Low light; the bizarre dance with a giant octupus?? during paparazzi
And the explanation of the "little monsters" hand gesture.

Cracking show and would definitely see her again.

Sorry, but i forgot my camera in the rush to get there, so no pics! Gutted!!

She is as mad as a box of frogs, but god i love her :D

In response to the above: smug and morose are maybe not always favourable, but what's wrong with looking for meaning and intelligence in music? And cheesy pop artists- no matter whether they write their own songs, are completely independent blah blah blah- are irrelevant, at least to me and to many others. I'm not saying that it's not OK to enjoy listening to something catchy and upbeat, but I don't see the need to paint people who search for something deeper in the music they listen to as elitists, geeks or snobs.

the above post was specifically meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek and very sarcastic, but there are valid points i would like to reiterate. questioning me for detracting from "people who search for something deeper in the music they listen to" is just as pointless as people attacking me for enjoying music that's silly and, honestly, kind of pointless aside from the feel-good cheese factor. not to mention that my favorite artists, off the top of my head, are bob dylan, the mountain goats, the magnetic fields, bad religion, etc. certainly all artists with great semblance of meaning and intelligence, but it doesn't necessarily mean that i should be blocked from enjoying something vapid and silly. i like wesley willis, anal c***, weird al, pink, tons of stuff that doesn't have a direct singer-songwriter deep meaning, but it's still fun to listen to.

the point is, i just haven't seen a decent argument against lady gaga that hasn't been stuffy and condescending. the majority of the people pooh-poohing her are from the school of thought that anything that breaks so significantly into the mainstream can't be good, or that anything that could be that cheesy could never be good. and i take great offense to that, personally. that puts up stringent divisions and pre-determinations as far as the realms of what good and bad music can be. maybe i'm the jerkoff, letting my scope of what good/bad music is range too far; maybe i'm just "trying to be too open-minded" or whatever, but 'the fame' is a great f***in record, and as much as people try and say that no one will remember her in six months or a year, people who actually gave this record a chance and validated it as something that wasn't dismissable just because they thought she dressed silly will still defend it.

the above post was specifically meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek and very sarcastic, but there are valid points i would like to reiterate. questioning me for detracting from "people who search for something deeper in the music they listen to" is just as pointless as people attacking me for enjoying music that's silly and, honestly, kind of pointless aside from the feel-good cheese factor. not to mention that my favorite artists, off the top of my head, are bob dylan, the mountain goats, the magnetic fields, bad religion, etc. certainly all artists with great semblance of meaning and intelligence, but it doesn't necessarily mean that i should be blocked from enjoying something vapid and silly. i like wesley willis, anal c***, weird al, pink, tons of stuff that doesn't have a direct singer-songwriter deep meaning, but it's still fun to listen to.

the point is, i just haven't seen a decent argument against lady gaga that hasn't been stuffy and condescending. the majority of the people pooh-poohing her are from the school of thought that anything that breaks so significantly into the mainstream can't be good, or that anything that could be that cheesy could never be good. and i take great offense to that, personally. that puts up stringent divisions and pre-determinations as far as the realms of what good and bad music can be. maybe i'm the jerkoff, letting my scope of what good/bad music is range too far; maybe i'm just "trying to be too open-minded" or whatever, but 'the fame' is a great f***in record, and as much as people try and say that no one will remember her in six months or a year, people who actually gave this record a chance and validated it as something that wasn't dismissable just because they thought she dressed silly will still defend it.

I think Britney Spears "Blackout" was a great album, but I'm not going as far to call her the next messiah of pop like rabid Gaga fans are. It's pop music, pure and simple. No message, created to make sure it grabs the attention of some people. It unfortunetly didn't get MY attention.
I knew about Gaga years ago before she became a huge celebrity back when Perez Hilton was disussusing if "Christinia Aguilera ripped off Gaga's image" and I really really tried to give her a chance because I was like, "oh this looks interesting" but unfortunetly, it only LOOKED interesting, it didn't SOUND interesting.
So, point is..some people like her, some people don't. It's pop music. It's not like there's gonna be a Gaga-solo in a few years where we disect her lyrics like we do for Morrissey. Let's stop putting her on a pedestal.
If she ever releases a Cd that's PURE her, all songs written and produced by her, unplugged, without any of the beeps and boops, then I will give her another chance and see what she has to offer, but at this moment I place her right next to the Pussycat Dolls and Pink. She's just there...

If she ever releases a Cd that's PURE her, all songs written and produced by her, unplugged, without any of the beeps and boops

i'm pretty sure there's a substantially greater chance of that happening with her over britney spears. the day i see britney spears sit down at a piano and play 'speechless', maybe then we can throw down about who's a pop tart and who isn't.

that's not the point. i know you, and i know you like silly pop crap too. my grudge is against the people who would crap on 'blackout' much faster than even gaga; the people who are saying, "THIS IS GARBAGE THAT IS DESTROYING MUSIC! OMG11!!11!!!"

go back to listening to and one, the friggin taylor swift of electronic music

i'm pretty sure there's a substantially greater chance of that happening with her over britney spears. the day i see britney spears sit down at a piano and play 'speechless', maybe then we can throw down about who's a pop tart and who isn't.

that's not the point. i know you, and i know you like silly pop crap too. my grudge is against the people who would crap on 'blackout' much faster than even gaga; the people who are saying, "THIS IS GARBAGE THAT IS DESTROYING MUSIC! OMG11!!11!!!"

go back to listening to and one, the friggin taylor swift of electronic music

You just called AND ONE the Taylor Swift of electronic music. I will cut you the next time I see you. I will also shave your head into a fade just like the And One singer has...

Tags
cock block ladyblahblah
Back
Top Bottom