2) Thew Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
3) The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
4) The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
5) The Smiths - The Smiths
6) Morrissey - Your Arsenal
7) Morrissey - Bona Drag
8) Morrissey - Viva Hate (re-issued)
9) Morrissey - Vauxhall & I
10) Morrissey - Southpaw Grammer (re-issued)

Re: List of Albums Morrissey Fans Are Most Proud Of

Here we go :
1) The Smiths Meat is Murder
2) The Smiths The Queen is Dead
3) The Smiths The Smiths
4) The Smiths Strangeways Here We Come
5) The Smiths Hatful of Hollow
6) Morrissey Vauxhall & I
7) Morrissey Years Of Refusal
8) Morrissey Viva Hate
9) Morrissey Ringleader Of The Tormentors
10) Morrissey You Are The Quarry

It is funny that I have listed Quarry at Number 10 as , for me, it all began there (Getting to Know The Smiths & Moz)

Cheers Moz

Might be too much semantics for some to handle but "most proud of" doesn't have to equal "best in terms of music and lyrics".
A sentence or two about each from Moz would've been extremely enlightening but I imagine "most proud of" encompasses all sorts of reasons -- everything from the cover art, the difficulty of making the album, what the album achieved, and his personal circumstances at the time he made them. You could argue the order of the currently list ad infinitum, but as far as what's missing I would've thought Viva warranted a spot only because it was one of the most remarkable (and remarkably quick) transitions from singer of a much loved band into solo icon. Meat is Murder, too, for converting tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people to vegetarianism.

Hmm...

Re: List of Albums Morrissey Fans Are Most Proud Of

I think it's incredible that he's choosen Rank instead of TQID. But I'm very glad for seeing ROTT in this high position.

Re: Let's analyze those of which (he is) most proud

Of course! The comeback. This is a very good album, Morrissey's best in his later years. This album was great for seeing Morrissey fight back rather than come...back. I don't consider it a comeback, really, as he never really left!

I wouldn't say Quarry is a good album at all. It's got two great singles in Irish Blood and First of the Gang, and also Come Back to Camden and Jesus is pretty good too. But everything else is weak...4 out of 12 isn't a good album.

I think Rank is an incredible [not to mention, official--why would Moz be promoting bootlegs? Do you suspect he's even heard more than perhaps a small fraction of them?] live album. I've never been one for live albums in general... That album actually changed my stance regarding live albums of The Smiths and Morrissey.

The version of Still Ill heard on Rank is going to be the ultimate officially-recorded version of the song for me until I die... I have never heard it sung more passionately on any other recording... Having Craig Gannon in the mix just makes the songs so much fuller, too.

I'd willingly get into a fight if the prize for "winning" were a Rank DAT tape... :D
I'd most likely lose, and I don't even own a DAT player.

Re: Let's analyze those of which (he is) most proud

I wouldn't say Quarry is a good album at all. It's got two great singles in Irish Blood and First of the Gang, and also Come Back to Camden and Jesus is pretty good too. But everything else is weak...4 out of 12 isn't a good album.

I am glad I am not alone in feeling this way about YATQ... I would've liked Ringleader as a comeback a lot more. In terms of post-millennium releases, I think YOR is the best, bust ROT (ha!) has some really, really amazing songs on it.

With some predictability, below is the order of the albums from the biggest ever Smiths/Morrissey poll (tens of thousands of votes), with Morrissey's 'most proud' in bold. It doesn't mean he necessarily thinks they're his best but I doubt such a list would be much different. The most depressing thing is the esteem in which he holds the last 3 albums (fair enough to include the latest), and the implication that he wants to continue in this direction (so-so indie pop with largely blunt, unsubtle and humour-free lyrics). None of his recent albums even makes the top half of the list, let alone gets anywhere near the top 3.

1. Queen is Dead - 9.05
2. Meat - 8.89
3. The Smiths – 8.69
4. Vauxhall – 8.60
5. Strangeways HWC – 8.49
6. Your Arsenal – 8.43

7. Viva Hate – 8.04
8. YATQ – 7.92
=9. Southpaw – 7.53

=9. YOR – 7.53
11. ROT – 7.48

12. Kill Uncle – 7.20
13. Maladjusted – 7.05

Last edited:
YOR for No 1.....come on Morrissey, you can at least give us a TRUTHFUL top 10!

YOR for No 1.....come on Morrissey, you can at least give us a TRUTHFUL top 10!

here is the truthful top 10 (or at least as close as we're gonna get). sadly, the last two albums are two of his worst ever. Morrissey, please, please, please don't use them as a template for the next.
1. Queen is Dead - 9.05
2. Meat - 8.89
3. The Smiths – 8.69
4. Vauxhall – 8.60
5. Strangeways HWC – 8.49
6. Your Arsenal – 8.43
7. Viva Hate – 8.04
8. YATQ – 7.92
=9. Southpaw – 7.53
=9. YOR – 7.53
11. ROT – 7.48
12. Kill Uncle – 7.20
13. Maladjusted – 7.05

Your right there....I don't see how any of those influences he actually used within his own solo career or The Smiths :confused:

I forgot the name of the user, but he / she pointed out that NYD's Lonely Planet Boy seemed an inspiration to There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

OK, I shall listen to that song now. Thanks.

Edit: Listened and I don't think it has any inspiration for There's A Light. New York Dolls are boring, I have no idea why Morrissey likes them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey on the topic of "inspiration for a song," a number of years ago someone, i think it was NRitH, pointed out a Cookies song that sounded like the inspiration for The Girl Least Likely To and directed the listener to a Cookies livejournal page (that I can't seem to find now) to hear the song. I listened to it then and fell in love with the original Cookies song like mad! Does anyone know what that song is? I realize this is the wrong thread to ask this question.

I forgot the name of the user, but he / she pointed out that NYD's Lonely Planet Boy seemed an inspiration to There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

I think he/she is right.
Hear attenciously and compare each other:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey on the topic of "inspiration for a song," a number of years ago someone, i think it was NRitH, pointed out a Cookies song that sounded like the inspiration for The Girl Least Likely To and directed the listener to a Cookies livejournal page (that I can't seem to find now) to hear the song. I listened to it then and fell in love with the original Cookies song like mad! Does anyone know what that song is? I realize this is the wrong thread to ask this question.

The song is called Only To Other People.
I have just uploaded it here for you...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TN72ACRE

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom