"List of the Lost" review by Roy Wilkinson (3 /5 stars) - MOJO

First LOTL not-negative review shock! (That Times review was less negative but certainly not positive.)

On page 110 of the same issue of MOJO discussed earlier (#265, December 2015) there is a three-out-of-five-star review of List of the Lost by one Roy Wilkinson, who says the book has "a similar crazed power" [to Sparks, who were apparently saluted by our Moz for having a lyrical take on sex].

Key phrase: "Hurtling out of the blocks full of blue-skied homoeroticism, it's as if Kenneth Williams is doing a voiceover for a US branch of Bona Books of Soho. Then, hints of Carson McCullers and the inner dialogue of some firebrand teenage vegan goth add to a mad cavalcade of authorial voices."

The reviewer seems to be as confused about the book as most us of, but he does not deride it in any way and concludes, "But, part a literary answer to B-movie lodestar Plan 9 From Outer Space and part a now-or-never collection of philosophical aperçus, it is not dull."

Last edited by a moderator:
We all know that Morrissey has an adoration for Oscar Wilde. Is it not obvious that he takes after Wilde's stylistic writing? Here is an example of what Wilde wrote to one of his lovers Harry Marillier:
"I remember bright young faces, and grey misty quadrangles, Greek forms passing through Gothic cloisters, life playing among ruins, and, what I love best in the world, Poetry and Paradox dancing together!" Is this so different than Morrissey's style of writing in LOTL? M's book could have been written by OW as I see it. If you don't see the similarity of genius here than you must be blind.

I also want to make another point about M's disgust for woman's body. There is a lot of the same disgust coming from Wilde. OW hated woman's body, especially when his wife Constance was pregnant with Cyril. I wonder if this is exactly how M's feels about or he does it to replicate his idol's notion

There ya go, folks. The book wasn't awful after all. 3/5, a true masterpiece. Everyone else is just a hater.

Heh. No-one said it was a glowing review, but at least it isn't negative. Does this satisfy [MENTION=3]Uncleskinny[/MENTION]'s criteria btw?

3/5 is more than Kill Uncle got on release, BTW & IIRC.

Last edited:
you buy an ad in mojo a 5 star review comes attached to it.
it must be really bad for mojo to give it 3 stars.

Mr Rims: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday's_Children
with a character named Rims Rosson

Nails: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0216513/
with a character named Nails

Ezra: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra_Pound
Ezra Pound loved the poet and novelist Hilda Doolittle

Eliza: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.D.
And of course there is also the famous My Fair Lady character Eliza Doolittle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliza_Doolittle

(Elizabeth Bishop died in 1979 in Boston)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visits_to_St._Elizabeths
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/237932

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbelo regarding Noah Barbelo

ISAAC Milner, DEAN of Carlisle
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Milner,_Isaac_(DNB00)

Oh thanks ! Yes, yes and yes.
I'm always giving feedback as well.
I know a bellend just down the road who does this kind of shit for a living, he admitted it was money for old rope visiting workplaces and talking "team"bollocks with bullshit buzz words.
It says nothing to me about debunking.
Hope you appreciate my "feedback".

Benny-the-British-Butcher

benny is trying to motivate moz into cleaning his act so he can get some sort of success maybe even a record contract.

One said I have sold out The Guardian review...
Someone else wrote I am some other person and I am in here with double nickname...
Another swore I am someone from the Blue Rose Society.
A girl attacked me because I attacked some stupid anonymous who just enter the site just to write shit words about Morrissey without even showing a sane opinion of himself-herself.
Well listen haters.
I do not give a damn about papers or critics or crazy fans clubs but I cannot resist fighting HATE and STUPIDITY.
If you do not like the style of ΅little monkey΅ or ΅darling΅ words and all those make myself a homosexual then everyone in here that only attack me and do not bother to attack the loads of stupid fascists in here instead should go immediately to find a mirror and spit on it. Ciao ciao!

Someone else wrote I am some other person and I am in here with double nickname...
A girl attacked me because I attacked some stupid anonymous who just enter the site just to write shit words about Morrissey without even showing a sane opinion of himself-herself.
Well listen haters.
I do not give a damn about papers or critics or crazy fans clubs but I cannot resist fighting HATE and STUPIDITY.
If you do not like the style of ΅little monkey΅ or ΅darling΅ words and all those make myself a homosexual then everyone in here that only attack me and do not bother to attack the loads of stupid fascists in here instead should go immediately to find a mirror and spit on it. Ciao ciao!

wtf? you have only been on here for a month (subscribing around the same time as your other pen names) and already you are making demands and berating the readership as if you were at the blog.
noboby is going to sign up to that blog give up.

Art is subjective, and some people will love this novel while others will hate it. I think that it would be far more intresting if posters could elaborate on how they came to their conclusions about the book. As for critics, I question both their motivation and their qualification to make such reviews. I think it's important to research the critic to determine whether this person is highly educated and experienced in the subject or if he/she is just another blogger or a frustrated, failed artist.

Yes,the majority of reviews have been unkind, but the theory that 'meta criticism' is absolute has been repeatedly refuted throughout history. Hawthorne was slammed by his contemporary critics, to the point of being accused of plagiarism and being labeled completely talentless and boring; yet, The Scarlet Letter is now considered to be one of the most important works of Colonial American Literature. Gothic Horror, especially the work of poor Poe, also was poorly received by critics of the time, but it continues to be one of the most popular literary genres today,influencing current novelists and film makers. If 'majority rules' applies to art criticism, then the Impressionists were all shit; again, this is probably the most adored school of art today. Joyce was called miserable, incoherent, and pretentious; but his work is now revered worldwide. The list of great artists and writers who were collectively slagged off by the critics of their time goes on and on.

If the knee-jerk response is that Morrissey can't be compared to these great literary figures, my response is that he certainly can. If you are going to use the consensus of critics as a definitive assesment of talent, then there are many iconic writers who suck as much as he does ( according to their respective reviews). Just saying read it for yourself and form your own opinion.

lynnda

Well listen haters.

You've come so far, but you still have so much farther to go. Don't ever let these haters throw you off course. The most important thing is for you to keep doing what you're doing. A lot of people want to see you succeed. We need you to succeed. Leave the haters for us to deal with. It's really no big deal. These damn haters are just small fries in the game. We're not worried so don't you worry either. It's the most important thing to remember. We're counting on you.

Joyce was called miserable, incoherent, and pretentious; but his work is now revered worldwide

Idk man, looking back the drumming on the Smiths sounds kinda generic and simple to me! Tbh I'm not a drummer tho.

Idk man, looking back the drumming on the Smiths sounds kinda generic and simple to me! Tbh I'm not a drummer tho.

maybe but it also fit the music well. the queen is dead has a sweet drum part to it

Just saying read it for yourself and form your own opinion.

lynnda

What she said. (Always wanted to say that :D)

Anyway, if this critic is well-read enough to know about Carson McCullers he's not just your average rock mag hack. Would've thought Elizabeth Smart was an obvious mention, too.

And I do value the informed opinion of people who read and review for a living, even if at the end of the day it is just one person's opinion. That Guardian hatchet job was despicable, though. Not to mention the man's radio appearance to mock the book, that was just.... [unprintable].

Last edited:
the purpose of reading book reviews is to ascertain is it worth spending your hard earned money on the book itself.

Art is subjective, and some people will love this novel while others will hate it. I think that it would be far more intresting if posters could elaborate on how they came to their conclusions about the book. As for critics, I question both their motivation and their qualification to make such reviews. I think it's important to research the critic to determine whether this person is highly educated and experienced in the subject or if he/she is just another blogger or a frustrated, failed artist.

Yes,the majority of reviews have been unkind, but the theory that 'meta criticism' is absolute has been repeatedly refuted throughout history. Hawthorne was slammed by his contemporary critics, to the point of being accused of plagiarism and being labeled completely talentless and boring; yet, The Scarlet Letter is now considered to be one of the most important works of Colonial American Literature. Gothic Horror, especially the work of poor Poe, also was poorly received by critics of the time, but it continues to be one of the most popular literary genres today,influencing current novelists and film makers. If 'majority rules' applies to art criticism, then the Impressionists were all shit; again, this is probably the most adored school of art today. Joyce was called miserable, incoherent, and pretentious; but his work is now revered worldwide. The list of great artists and writers who were collectively slagged off by the critics of their time goes on and on.

If the knee-jerk response is that Morrissey can't be compared to these great literary figures, my response is that he certainly can. If you are going to use the consensus of critics as a definitive assesment of talent, then there are many iconic writers who suck as much as he does ( according to their respective reviews). Just saying read it for yourself and form your own opinion.

lynnda

That is the steamiest pile of dung I have ever read. You've just attempted to justify anything of questionable merit. You're a towering idiot.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom