"Love Bites" - Morrissey fan documentary from 1995 on YouTube

See I thought that 1992 Your Arsenal shows were the best he's ever done. That version of the band had had 2 solid years together and YA was (for me) his best 'live' album, by that I mean studio album to play live. Beethoven was Deaf is 5 star. Interesting though to debate/discuss which tour was his strongest. What year was that Hollywood Bowl DVD from? That was a pretty solid unit as well.

All of this about what the best tour was is quite funny. I've seen shows on every tour since Kill Uncle (except Outside supporting Bowie) and I still think the best shows were during the 99/00 Oye Esteban your and the 2002 tour, 110%.

All of this about what the best tour was is quite funny. I've seen shows on every tour since Kill Uncle (except Outside supporting Bowie) and I still think the best shows were during the 99/00 Oye Esteban your and the 2002 tour, 110%.

I saw him on the Oye Esteban tour and it was my favourite in terms of song selection, but I thought the '92 band was better. Funnily enough I caught him at Wembley on the 'Outsiders' tour and hearing Southpaw Grammar live gave me an appreciation for the album I didn't initially have.

That's so damn sad. Even in the new DVD that came out, he doesn't seem right.

That's because in the new DVD (do you mean Hollywood High) he was seriously ill, but Tony v (who produced the DVD) and the other hangers on persuaded him to do it. All they care about is cash money

I saw him on the Oye Esteban tour and it was my favourite in terms of song selection, but I thought the '92 band was better. Funnily enough I caught him at Wembley on the 'Outsiders' tour and hearing Southpaw Grammar live gave me an appreciation for the album I didn't initially have.

"The 92 band" ? This is where the problem lies, how many bands has he had ?
The first album was pure class, take a bow Stephen Street your part in all this is way up there with Johnny Marr and the Smiths.
But for some stupid, silly reason (I think 'trust' but in truth chaotic management as well) Steven decides he can carry on with the fanatic fanbase on his own and yet here we all are ! Holding on, clambering, wishing, hoping, praying but nothing has hit on or matched Viva Hate, yes it's all down to taste but that album had everything from start to finish and lived up to his previous works.
Next follows various albums and we all have our favourites ( I liked kill uncle many don't , arsenal, southpaw, quarry, ringleaders etc) But the consistency started to falter along with the artwork and along with 'the band' (regardless of the year).
If only we didn't have these " lawnmower part" years, I think we would still be a proud fanbase with fantastic albums to listen back on.
But as Steven has said its not about the band it's all about the singer and the microphone and on that basis here we all are with bastardised songs, bastardised backing lawnmower parts, and an evil bitter bastard on vocals who don't give a shit anymore.
f*** Stephen Street !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

That's because in the new DVD (do you mean Hollywood High) he was seriously ill, but Tony v (who produced the DVD) and the other hangers on persuaded him to do it. All they care about is cash money

No I mean Introducing Morrissey.
He did look like shit in Hollywood High, though.

I agree he was very ill-looking (and sounding) in 25 Live but Tony Visconti is not credited anywhere on the DVD (other than as the producer of the Studio in Session songs) that I could see.
Also, it would seem that if he really were involved in the film we would have seen footage of Kristeen's set in the film...or at the very least some behind the scenes shots of her.

But it's very sad if there's any truth to it that Moz did it for quick cash despite his bad health.
The director, in his various interviews, always made it seem like the intentions were so noble, but that could be PR...

I agree he was very ill-looking (and sounding) in 25 Live but Tony Visconti is not credited anywhere on the DVD (other than as the producer of the Studio in Session songs) that I could see.
Also, it would seem that if he really were involved in the film we would have seen footage of Kristeen's set in the film...or at the very least some behind the scenes shots of her.

But it's very sad if there's any truth to it that Moz did it for quick cash despite his bad health.
The director, in his various interviews, always made it seem like the intentions were so noble, but that could be PR...

Was he sick with the ulcer?

If so, he shouldn't have been on stage.

Darren had a heart attack, Tom died in a car crash

So sad. I remember talking to Tom in the Cotton Club in Glasgow around the time the book came out (All Men Have Secrets)...a place where there was many a Smiths night (great times) and where I met my wife.
Didn't know he had passed away. Such a shame. Thanks for sharing this. Really touching to watch. Peace and love to everyone who was
there. Xxxx

Thanks for the upload and sharing. The 1995 Boxers tour is really starting to move into the area of being regarded as one the very best of Morrissey’s career. Certainly in 1995 he was at the absolute height of his solo career in England. Almost untouchable. It’s a period I’m remembering with greater fondness. Morrissey’s image then was simple but so cool. The jeans, white shirt, blazer and Doc Martins. A period where he was still rather shy with the media. Not as outspoken as he is now. Then he moved to Los Angeles and well.

Oh course I now make the link to Tom and “All Men Have Secrets”. What a great shame. And the poor fellow never got to hear all the albums which came after “Vauxhall and I”. 1995 wasn’t as sophisticated as I thought it was. And for the fans in the doco, they look like young twenty year olds clinging on to being a teenager. They know it’s all going to change, but for this tour they can be teenagers one last time. Good on them.

Yep. Nice post. I was there. xx

Was he sick with the ulcer?

If so, he shouldn't have been on stage.

It seems (especially in retrospect) like Moz pushed himself to get back on tour in 2013 while he was still in recovery from the bleeding ulcer and its aftermath. He spoke in interviews at the time about being anemic as a result of severe blood loss from the ulcer, and also suggested that the pneumonia that ended that tour was a result of a weakened immune system following so many other health problems.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/mar/22/morrissey-cautioned-stop-touring

So no, he probably shouldn't have been on stage at Hollywood High. But for someone so sick, I think he looks and sounds amazing at that gig.

That Irish girl was going on about how she was a vegan yet she was drinking Guinness?

Julia looks to be in her parents house - why else would you have a computer in there if you owned your own home (which she would do if she was loaded?).

That Irish girl was going on about how she was a vegan yet she was drinking Guinness?

Julia looks to be in her parents house - why else would you have a computer in there if you owned your own home (which she would do if she was loaded?).

who cares about there money? why do you guys care so much about whom has money? i dont get it

I thought that about the Guinness. However you have to remember that even in 1995 we didn't have all the information at our fingertip beck and call like we do nowadays. Life was more of a learning curve then.

Thank you to whoever was behind posting this on line. Tom was my brother. I've had a copy of this on VHS for some time but the thought of watching it was too painful even after all these years. We miss him every single day. I've watched it now. I'm comforted to know my memory of him is as clear as the last time I saw him. I'm not sure what my brother would have made of the on-line world these days. It was embryonic when they wrote the book. I do know, however, that he would be touched to have people posting about him sixteen years after his death. I hope he would also be touched to know he has an 11 year old nephew, named after him. Thank you for this.

Thank you to whoever was behind posting this on line. Tom was my brother. I've had a copy of this on VHS for some time but the thought of watching it was too painful even after all these years. We miss him every single day. I've watched it now. I'm comforted to know my memory of him is as clear as the last time I saw him. I'm not sure what my brother would have made of the on-line world these days. It was embryonic when they wrote the book. I do know, however, that he would be touched to have people posting about him sixteen years after his death. I hope he would also be touched to know he has an 11 year old nephew, named after him. Thank you for this.

best wishes to you and your family.

Your first tour is always the best one. The Boxers tour will always be my fave. Stripped down and he was still unpopular then. He'd also just produced his best ever solo album. And Boxers was one helluva'n EP.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom