"Low In High School" album cover posted by Linder on Instagram

Linder just posted what seems to be the cover of the new album! Nothing you wouldn't have expected from Morrissey, to be quite honest...

UPDATE 3:30 PM PT:
Image has been removed from Linder's Instagram.

40695_low_in_high_school_sleeve.jpg

Also posted in the comments by Bluebirds:

According to a FB post by James Maker which shows said cover (Follow-up posted by Famous when dead: "James Maker has since clarified the issue - HMV is the problem"):

I publish this in support of a friend, and in the cause of democracy. Trade and Retail* have informed BMG that they will refuse to handle Morrissey's new album, 'Low in High School' on the grounds that the sleeve art is "offensive". Thus, the entire campaign is in jeopardy unless Morrissey and his record company rethink the album cover. x

(* The HMV chain refuse to stock it.)

Link posted by Famous when dead:

Posted by unloveable:

Btw that is Mando Lopez son...

And by Famous when dead:

...Indeed, Max Lopez who lives in East L.A.
He was also present in Italy during recording of the album.

Posted by an anonymous person:

The photograph is by Tony Molina. The musician?

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im so unrelated to monarchy -- this Is 2017- have never understood why the British, Danish , Spanish , Norwegian people would still have a " queen " "king" but offensive cover ?

I think it might be still be popular because the presidential system can throw up occasional anomalies.

Terrible cover.

Ugly child.

Rotten sign.

Shit axe.

Nice gate.

The problem for me is the "Axe The Monarchy" spells out the subtext of the picture. It would be akin to having something like "I'm gunning for new fans" on the cover of Quarry. The royal angle feels shoehorned in here too; I'd have preferred something a bit more subtle that better suited the album title. But still, a new album is on the way...

I don't care as much about the monarchy shoehorn, it's morrissey, but I agree whole heartedly about the sign

That's....really bad. Like, it isn't offensive because f*** the monarchy and all that. It's offensive because, it's really bad.

I don't think HMV not stocking it will be a huge problem, considering most sales will be digital or streaming. Get the record shops to stock it and get everyone in there, support the indies rather than the corporates, I'm sure nobody will mind having to pop into a record shop to buy the CD or Vinyl rather than HMV.

Compared some metal album covers which show mutilated genitals ( which HMV stock) this is mild.

I predict that if the album art does need to be changed, then Moz and BMG are thinking that if they release the controversial cover and it'll cause a bit of a stir and get some press interest. They'll end up changing it but it will still gather some attention for the album.
Moz and compromise? Never!
BMG better get this sorted.

this seems about right.

who has sleeve art finalised 2 months ahead of release date?

Spinal Tap did, if memory serves. Perhaps we'll end up with none more black cover.

Of course, Morrissey could have just called the album itself Axe The Monarchy, rather than the currently meaningless title, worked on a decent cover, got oodles of coverage, and HMV would have been fine with it.

It's a shit cover anyway.
SHIT.
It's a bad cover for many reasons. Firstly you have take a young child, regardless of who he is related to, put an axe in his hand and declared him to be anti-monarchy. This child is not old enough to have studied the history of the monarchy and formed his own opinions. Secondly, personally, I am a member of the Canadian Legion. Canada as you know is tied to the monarchy. My grandfather faught in WWII which is why I joined. As part of my allegiance to the Legion I can't buy an album with this cover art.

I think my immediate reaction of laughter at the sight of it about sums it up.

Once upon a time, the man had some really great album covers.
Here's to hoping the songs within are more tolerable than whatever that is on the cover.

I predict that if the album art does need to be changed, then Moz and BMG are thinking that if they release the controversial cover and it'll cause a bit of a stir and get some press interest. They'll end up changing it but it will still gather some attention for the album.
Agree. That was one of my first thoughts. Release this goofy ass atrocity of a cover in advance, and anything else they slap on it will look great by comparison when the album actually comes out.

This is arte povera as it is a photo montage and this kid looks at the camera with empty eyes. There is not any threat or sense of danger that comes from this image. The reason is simple: we know it is fake.
Had it been a real stand up, a picture of a real anti-monarchist teenager captured in front of the gates of a castle of the queen while doing a happening, being in danger, at the point of being arrested for troubles on the streets, one would feel an inner force when looking at it. But the whole thing is flat, and very shallow.
Compare this to the sleeve and The World Won't Listen, and see what I mean... This is not a work of art; this is a very indigent sleeve project
I agree, well said.

So the kid dropped his beans and is now taking that out on the royals?

Cannot wait for news about Moz being in trouble over that cover.

This Linder Sterling is she married to footballer Raheem Sterling?

Does she run as fast him as him without ever being able to control the ball?

She always looked like a silly dutch ginger.

Tags
album cover linder low in high school low in high school info new album

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom