Low in High-School?

Moz is pushing 60. What does he know about being in high school these days? The world has changed immeasurably and irrevocably since he was there. This should be...interesting.

I don't think we can be certain that the album will be about being in high school today. I can't wait to see what it is about, though.

I imagine its a bit like Southpaw Grammar (school of hard knocks) not referring to an actual high school, but more a 'university of life'.

I imagine its a bit like Southpaw Grammar (school of hard knocks) not referring to an actual high school, but more a 'university of life'.

I think that title has been completely misunderstood. It's not a school per-se, but the grammar, the how-to, of being a Southpaw, a left-hander, left-footer, a misfit.

Last edited:
The idea that a title somehow defines the album and that he must fit people's understanding of age and appropriateness is hilarious. Do you know how many albums there are that don't have literal connections between title and songs!!??
Morrissey was too old to attend 'Southpaw Grammar' too, but oddly only one song directly referenced schools and that was sung from an adult POV. So why would this new album HAVE to be about schools?
To assume that it's about high schools and his knowledge of youth culture today is beyond premature and probably grossly wrong. He delights in the confusion of it all - which would be part of his intention in the first place when naming it.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Christ, here we go, the vast over-analysis has started already, with just a title.

I think what irks me, is that many of us graduate high school, and don't ever really think of it again. I know I had precisely zero interest in attending any of my reunions. I kept the ones I wanted to, and left the rest behind. So when a man of nearly 60 announces an album with a title so silly, it makes me roll my eyes. I rolled my eyes over Staircase as well, and the attempt at writing from a college aged girl's perspective.

It's kind of the same feeling I got when I caught Alice Cooper on television a few months back and he was singing "I'm 18 and I like it."
No, sorry, friend. You're much closer to the grave than 18.

I think what irks me, is that many of us graduate high school, and don't ever really think of it again. I know I had precisely zero interest in attending any of my reunions. I kept the ones I wanted to, and left the rest behind. So when a man of nearly 60 announces an album with a title so silly, it makes me roll my eyes. I rolled my eyes over Staircase as well, and the attempt at writing from a college aged girl's perspective.

It's kind of the same feeling I got when I caught Alice Cooper on television a few months back and he was singing "I'm 18 and I like it."
No, sorry, friend. You're much closer to the grave than 18.

What? Christ.

Yes. This. Absolutely this. I hated 'Kill Uncle' (before I heard it) for similar reasons. What with all the murders and parents' brothers all over the shop (probably). I mean what does Morrissey know about killing uncles? Nothing. He needs to reform The Smiths now.

I'm betting the title isn't a literal reference to highs school. That said I think writers can write legitimately from many perspectives far from there personal one. The talent to do so is part of what makes them a writer

The idea that a title somehow defines the album and that he must fit people's understanding of age and appropriateness is hilarious. Do you know how many albums there are that don't have literal connections between title and songs!!??
Morrissey was too old to attend 'Southpaw Grammar' too, but oddly only one song directly referenced schools and that was sung from an adult POV. So why would this new album HAVE to be about schools?
To assume that it's about high schools and his knowledge of youth culture today is beyond premature and probably grossly wrong. He delights in the confusion of it all - which would be part of his intention in the first place when naming it.
Regards,
FWD.

And even this song could mean several things:

Morrissey on The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils "There are, of course, two levels of interpretation. The line To Be Finished Would Be A Relief in the song context - these teachers who are afraid of their pupils and dream of escaping - and a second more intimate, more personal thought on my life and career. To leave would effectively be a relief. Not to feel all this pressure anymore, to be able to let up a bit."

I think that title has been completely misunderstood. It's not a school per-se, but the grammar, the how-to, of being a Southpaw, a left-hander, left-footer, a misfit.

This is wrong. Morrissey himself said it refers to "the school of hard knocks"

This is wrong. Morrissey himself said it refers to "the school of hard knocks"

In an interview, yes. Do you think Vauhxall and I is about a Cavalier? On a secondary point - are you the kind of person who takes everything this recording artist says at face-value, always?

Last edited:
have ANY of the album titles given any significant indication of the contents/themes of the songs? Most Morrissey album titles involve some sort of cryptic statement using wordplay that have little to do with the album itself in any immediately clear way.

In an interview, yes. Do you think Vauhxall and I is about a Cavalier? On a secondary point - are the the kind of person who takes everything this recording artist says at face-value, always?

Morrissey never said Vauxhall and I was about a cavalier though did he. He did however say the quote about Southpaw didnt he. No I dont take EVERYTHING he says at face value but this is a specific and direct response to the question. Do you think EVERYTHING he says is cloaked in some other secret meaning. Or do you just think YOU know better than him?
On a secondary point why are you such a bore?

have ANY of the album titles given any significant indication of the contents/themes of the songs? Most Morrissey album titles involve some sort of cryptic statement using wordplay that have little to do with the album itself in any immediately clear way.
I think Viva Hate does...

Last edited:
Morrissey never said Vauxhall and I was about a cavalier though did he. He did however say the quote about Southpaw didnt he. No I dont take EVERYTHING he says at face value but this is a specific and direct response to the question. Do you think EVERYTHING he says is cloaked in some other secret meaning. Or do you just think YOU know better than him?
On a secondary point why are you such a bore?

Morrissey did once say, "I lie a lot. It's really useful."

Why don't you know enough?

Back
Top Bottom