Marr plays Smiths - NME (November 4, 2021)

If he’s not flashing his arse in some tight gold hot-pants I’ll be requesting a refund.
It’s not as if you can’t afford it 85!
I’ve heard on the grapevine that your the good looking man about town, with brass and money...

And Oi.....🤨

Where’s this poetry from last week ?

It’s not as if you can’t afford it 85!
I’ve heard on the grapevine that your the good looking man about town, with brass and money...

And Oi.....🤨

Where’s this poetry from last week ?
I can afford it, and am sad enough that I will probably fork out the £16. He can’t sing, but the guitar playing is worth it.

I was all set to write some poetry last weekend, but couldn't be bothered in the end. About to crack open a bottle of wine now, so give it 40-50 minutes and there might be a deluge of shit-themed prose clogging up the “off-topic” thread.

I can afford it, and am sad enough that I will probably fork out the £16. He can’t sing, but the guitar playing is worth it.

I was all set to write some poetry last weekend, but couldn't be bothered in the end. About to crack open a bottle of wine now, so give it 40-50 minutes and there might be a deluge of shit-themed prose clogging up the “off-topic” thread.
I don’t mind his voice at all, when I seen him in 2013 at Manchester it was 4king awesome
Looking forward to reading your shit.
I’m the same had 2 glasses of wine and can feel a twitch and a tic scratting to be heard😩

£16 to stream a warm-up in a rented garage?
I feel like this thread is missing a rant about it being “all about the money, always has been”

Across
2. Rhymes with “bubble rampards“ (6,9)
£90, plus flights and hotel plus £40 for a sweatshop t-shirt? Then the show’s cancelled 15 minutes before curtain?

Rhymes with “bunt”.

Time will prove everything
Time has already proven that Marr can do whatever he likes, with whomever he cares to work with. He’s living an pretty amazing life, I expect. Happily married. Absolute guitar punter of a son. An oeuvre that rivals some of the finest session players. Film soundtracks with Hans Zimmer. Multiple bands that would have him rejoin in a heartbeat. Packed shows that have more vibe than you can possibly imagine. …and a number one single on the UK vinyl charts.

Sounds like he must be a right miserable c***, doesn’t he? 😂

His voice is relevant, but there's nothing wrong with his voice, at least not compared to some of Morrissey's vocals, so the relevance is to his advantage.
Agree with that. Johnny's voice is every bit as good...possibly better because he matches his guitar which is leading the way.

I find it quite galling that Marr never has a good word to say about Morrissey, in fact he often joins in with the lynch mob like a snake in the grass, yet he's happy to steal Morrissey lyrics and drag himself around the world on the back of them.

Morrissey employs musicians to play approximations of Marr's work, but he himself sings his own words, as he's always done (cover versions aside).

In conclusion I'd say that Morrissey is by far the more honourable of the two, a veritable paragon of virtue no less.
Haha, good one! Good stuff! Do you do stand up?

You like the sound of your own voice.

Guilty M'lud :blushing:

Sadly, the same could seemingly be said of Johnny. Hence, the above atrocity... :paranoid:

The intro ("I am the son and heir..'.) is far too low for his voice and was painful to listen to but I thought he recovered the vocals very well as the song went on. Great guitar as usual. That hair though, Christ.

To keep it short, the musical bedding over which Morrissey sings these songs is far less troubling to me than the sound of Marr's voice reciting Morrissey's lyrics.

í...appreciate...that others around here disagree, but the musicians performing with Moz render the Smiths songs perfectly well. Not, well, perfect ~ as here ~ and they do some to a better or worse degree. But none of the band are, and would never claim to be, anywhere near Marr's level. í have been blown away by some versions, especially in person, less so by others. But í cannot ever recall as being so...offended?...as here. Which is a queer sensation, given the musical sublimity in back, but the sheer dishwater dull blandness when his lips part is really almost laughably bad.

It would be offensive if some other indie chancer were putting a cover up on YouTube {sorry, Worldwide Live Stream}, but the fact that this dude was there at the inception {har har} of this song somehow renders it more offensive? If he understood the beautiful alchemy of his music with Morrissey's vocal melodies then he would have kept his mouth shut and not touch this stuff.
Johnny should know better ;)

Could not disagree more.

The intro ("I am the son and heir..'.) is far too low for his voice and was painful to listen to but I thought he recovered the vocals very well as the song went on. Great guitar as usual. That hair though, Christ.
Some might say, at least he has hair...hmm? Trying to be nice here.

I don’t know, there have been a lot of great guitarists.

I think Marr may still be able to deliver if inspired by a frontman with a vision, that only really happened once after The Smiths and that was with his playing with The The, Matt Johnson brought something out of Johnny that was never heard before. And I actually saw Marr on the Mind Bomb tour in 1990 which was nothing less than amazing. With some exceptions here and there, I don’t really hear him bringing anything new to the table since. Which is fine, he seems to be doing what he wants to do.
I was also fortunate to see Johnny Marr with The The. Matt Johnson isn’t Morrissey, but he also had a vision and I can appreciate him. For thé record, I also saw Johnny with Neil Finn, Modest Mouse and the Heelers.
Of course some will say the same for Morrissey after Maladusted or Quarry probably. But Morrissey will always inspire, he has such a unique voice and view point that many will always love and some always hate
Very true. Whenever I hear Johnny do a Smiths song (at festivals), the guitar playing is always excellent but I can’t help hearing Morrissey’s voice in my head.
Which is more than you can say for other musical acts that are trying and failing to pass themselves off as artists. Rush to danger? They would if they could.

If people want to attack Johnny's singing, whatever... but it's a new level of stupidity and bitterness to be upset with him for playing Smiths songs.
I don't think its about being upset he's playing them, but rather upset he's "singing" them. Just as people want Morrissey to sing them,, but hate his band playing them...

I can't stand Johnny's singing. I don't have a problem with him, and not trying to pick sides. I went to a show of his and unfortunately it might be the worst concert id ever been to. Music was great but as soon as he started signing.... my brain felt like exploding during Smiths songs. I enjoyed the music, but wanted and tried desperately to block out the singing. I do the same when watch his videos.Whats worse here is its like he's not conveying the emotion of the songs, which Morrissey does. Johnny should just do instrumental versions. That would get me to go see him again.

For those that like keeping score or pitting them against each other, Maybe this is his way of destroying the song lyrics just as some feel Morrissey's band have destroyed the music?

But I don't really mind how Morrissey's band have changed the music over the years. Its always a little interesting to hear whats different each tour. And IMO Morrissey's voice has only gotten better. As for Johnny's versions, while a better guitar player, its almost a bit boring that he plays them almost exactly as recorded. (No need to attack they sound great) Just saying he has the musical skills to do something different with the songs. But maybe he didn't want to be criticized for it. Now that he seems to be getting more criticism anyway maybe he would.

Musical perfection :love: ~ if you strip out the entirety of the vocal {hesitate to use the term 'singing'}. í have honestly heard drunk & high students render this lyric with greater meaning & import than here. í know that he {co}wrote the song, so it's kind of his dibs, but if you squint a certain way, it's the kind of vocal that could be taken as a slap in the face. Not quite Bernard Manning, but in that postcode.

But í would plight my troth to that guitar work.

As for the..barnett, í will only say this ~ it reminded me immediately of 2 things ~ a fella í went to school with called Chas Crawford, a trendy kind of hard nut who appeared with it first. In those days, round our way, they were called 'streaks'. They looked cheap and ridiculous then. And now. But nobody said as much to CC then as he had a well deserved reputation for 'chibbing'. So í feel bad for pointing it out re:JM, given his own glorious handiwork displayed here.
It also reminded me of my 'Aunt' Bridie ~ not an actual Aunt, just a gin buddy of my Mum's ~ who turned up at one of their 'sessions' with a similar hair do and the reaction was such that she didn't come back for the next 2 months...

ps ~ Rule #1 - the drummer should never be better dressed than the 'singer'.

Johnny's voice is Criminally Vulgar!

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom