Maybe I don't get it. Why is Morrissey releasing a decade's old song as a single?

Theo

I just don't get it at all. The song is from the mid-80's. Why is it being released as a single today? I don't understand. It appears to be nothing but a money grab.
And you notice that Morrissey does this without even caring about his fans. He attacked the record stores that tried to ensure copies were sold to folks who actually wanted the record instead of re-selling it on ebay.
Well, I didn't want the record. I didn't like the cover pic, and it's a generations-old song. I don't get the purpose of releasing it. It's just a singer who wants to take advantage of his fans.
So basically he can go eff himself. But I guess he wanted some attention and news so he had to attack the stores even though they did nothing wrong but try and ensure more copies got to real fans.
Morrissey, get a grip, dude. I defend you on a lot of things, but when you're such a greedy SOB exploiting your truest fans, you should seriously consider popping a bunch pills and ending it. LOL

I just don't get it at all. The song is from the mid-80's. Why is it being released as a single today? I don't understand. It appears to be nothing but a money grab.
And you notice that Morrissey does this without even caring about his fans. He attacked the record stores that tried to ensure copies were sold to folks who actually wanted the record instead of re-selling it on ebay.
Well, I didn't want the record. I didn't like the cover pic, and it's a generations-old song. I don't get the purpose of releasing it. It's just a singer who wants to take advantage of his fans.
So basically he can go eff himself. But I guess he wanted some attention and news so he had to attack the stores even though they did nothing wrong but try and ensure more copies got to real fans.
Morrissey, get a grip, dude. I defend you on a lot of things, but when you're such a greedy SOB exploiting your truest fans, you should seriously consider popping a bunch pills and ending it. LOL

Morrissey didn't release a decade old song. THE SMITHS did. Which means that Marr is involved too, although Moz is in the focus again because he can't shut up. Maybe someone should ask Marr about it.

IMHO:
He wanted a 30th anniversary release of the song/album - many artists commemorate achievements like that whether the song is 'old' or not. He's already demonstrated a fixation with 'charting' - this is part of it.
Something occurred last year that prevented that from happening despite the vinyl clearly being pressed and marked 2016.
So control is taken away from him - his reaction: some public rants stating he begged for the record company to acknowledge a landmark album on it's 30th year. Then, obviously, the wheels start turning in January and something occurs to get the pressed vinyl put in to 2017 sleeves. At this point, copies mysteriously appear in only a couple of 'record shops' which coincidentally happen to be near at least 2 big collectors of Moz records - One place 'gets' the 12" (and eventually the 7") and the other sells the 7". Possibly (just a guess), at this point there was probably pressure to just out the product and get it sold. So a very lacklustre 31st year record 'celebration' appears (on the exact day the record was originally released). Boz is used to generate interest and very little is done to advertise by 'official' channels - an animated mp4, one day notice and HMV not advertising it etc... That is hardly a money grab. I would agree money has played a role in a lot of his previous actions, but not in all cases. If money was the motivation in this release, he didn't really maximise his potential earnings with his behaviour - he could have made more if he'd done more. That undermines the money/exploitation argument does it not?
Basically, I think his pride was hurt with no real 30 year acknowledgement and anything thereafter was going to be a moot point with him. Having less say or control in the matter explains his venting at HMV as a scapegoat - that's nothing new and par for the course.
Regards,
FWD.

There is no way anybody thought they were going to make money from this release. It's a nice little keepsake for die-hard fans, of which their are a lot. I didn't think it was a very attractive item though to be honest. It's a shame it came out on the songs 31st anniversary too. I suspect Morrissey was excited about the song getting into the charts but it wasn't about money.

What he said but I also want to say I don't think it taking advantage of his fans. Some fans collect records and every release and probably enjoyed getting anew one with art designed by morrissey but most don't and didn't buy it. I didn't buy one and am still a fan and didn't feel pressured to purchase. You can't act like he's doing something to you just because he released an old song just like I don't think I did anything wrong by not buying it. There aren't any victims here

Remember the title of the song? :rolleyes:
Nobody is forced to buy it.
His truest fans neither.
I won't buy it cause I have already 3 versions of it.
Consider your advice and apply it on yourself.
But first find out about the right pills if you want to avoid any pain and die in peace.
I don't wish anybody any harm.

By the way, he was right about the appeal of the song after 30 years cause it went straight to number 1 in the vinyl chart and it proves real, dedicated musiclovers appreciated it.
He has more commercial insight then you.
Why am I not surprised?

Last edited:

'Morrissey, get a grip, dude. I defend you on a lot of things, but when you're such a greedy SOB exploiting your truest fans, you should seriously consider popping a bunch pills and ending it. LOL'

really uncool, 'dude'. Maybe YOU should 'get a grip'.

Theo = :pileofpoop:

Back
Top Bottom