Message from Morrissey re:Johnny vs. Dave Cameron

Exactly.It was a golden opportunity,but nothing.And no excuse for not appearing on the show apart from Cameron supporting blood sports.Maybe he just bottled it

I think it's cool that he passed such a high profile opportunity to get some free publicity and attention!

Edit: Actually, I might as well add that I wish that S McCartney would do a range of animal friendly shoes for people who earn normal wages.
:clap:

My immediate response to this is one of bemusement. Cameron's policies on hunting seem to me a highly peripheral issue, I really couldn't care less if Bryan Ferry hunts or not and Morrissey's feelings about either of these things strikes me as profoundly....whateverish. If he honestly rejects Roxy Music because he's discovered that Bryan Ferry hunts, I must admit I find that rather unappealingly and narrow-mindedly fanatical. Sticking to rigid principles that virtually no-one share is fine. Violently rejecting everyone who doesn't smacks of unattractive sectarianism. But this is Morrissey - witty, uncompromising, consistent and, um, let's call it other-worldly.cheers

Looks like I'm the only one who's appalled at Morrissey's words:
"I cannot use the him/her term in relation to a Prime Minister because, as we all know, Margaret Thatcher has ensured that a female Prime Minister would never again be risked." Ermmm... why?
If Margaret Thatcher had been a male Prime Minister and you wouldn't agree with anything he does and you'd think that he did great harm to the entire nation, would you say your country shouldn't risk another male PM? So isn't it the political views you confront, is it now the gender of the person?
I think it's cool that he passed such a high profile opportunity to get some free publicity and attention!
Or the opportunity to question Cameron about what he prattled on about on his friend's fan website.

Still, Johnny was more amusing in his twitter then Steven was in his waffling paragraphs and churlish name changing.

Oh so very well said. :thumb:

Looks like I'm the only one who's appalled at Morrissey's words:
"I cannot use the him/her term in relation to a Prime Minister because, as we all know, Margaret Thatcher has ensured that a female Prime Minister would never again be risked." Ermmm... why?
If Margaret Thatcher had been a male Prime Minister and you wouldn't agree with anything he does and you'd think that he did great harm to the entire nation, would you say your country shouldn't risk another male PM? So isn't it the political views you confront, is it now the gender of the person?

You are completely correct - if you're dealing with reasonable, rational people. But a lot of voters/people are not.

Because of Thatcher, women politicians are likely to be tarred with the same brush. It's not right that that happens - they're completely different people, with different policies etc etc - but that's discrimination isn't it.

Morrissey was just really stating a fact I think.

I have decided (I'm sure you're all fascinated!) that I disagree with Morrissey about Jamie Orrible (Oliver). He can be rightly criticised for being, err, very un-vegetarian and for being really, really annoying. But I think he should be applauded for his '15' initiative and for his campaigns in the UK and US promoting basic cooking skills and healthy diets for kids and adults.

He has literally put his money where his (massively annoying) mouth is, and he's invested a lot of time and effort in causes he believes in and taken a lot of flak in the process. I don't really like him, but I think I sort of admire him.

Isn't he the sort of person that, if Morrissey actually talked to him and explained the impact of the meat industry on the planet, would probably see the light and go out there and do something about it? He already highlighted the cruelty of the meat industry by slaughtering a lamb on TV and by constantly mentioning during his Turkey Twizler campaign that the animals making them were treated like crap.

This is a really badly written post, I don't think I've really explained myself very well, but in a nutshell, I think Morrissey is (sadly) correct in summing up Thatchers impact on women in this country and is a somewhat wrong in dismissing Jamie Oliver out of hand.

I've said it before, Jamie Oliver works for the meat industry!
I work in a high school and since Oliver decided to become a martyr for school dinners, 5 healthy veggie options have been removed to one staple meal.( jacket potato) for vegetarians.
The school canteen is now a meat business and fruit and veg it too expensive to buy.
It's also worth noting, that at Oliver's restaurant in Liverpool, there isn't a vegetarian option!!!!!
Why? so the nation can become addicted to meat and see no other alternative?
To make life difficult for people who are veggie and to dismiss the beliefs?
so he can make more money from the meat industry?
or all of the above?

My point was that Jamie Oliver is the sort of person who likes to get of his arse and do something. So why not reason with him and 'use' him?

He's no more a 'worker for the meat industry' than any other TV chef so why target him when he out of all of them has obviously got some sort of social conscience - ie: the '15' enterprise? He is therefore probably open to rational discussion. I believe that no-one rational can possibly deny that the meat industry is responsible for a lot of cruelty and damage, so inform him, wind him up and watch him go.

He has spoken out about the meat industry and the crap they feed us. And the fact that we allow them to because of laziness.

The fact that schools have badly implemented the new menus says more about them and the Government than Jamie Oliver. He quite rightly highlighted the issue that we're feeding our kids crap. He is not personably responsible for food prices and purchasing policies surely? Can schools honestly not think of creative ways to do better? I know of ones that have. And they're not in posh areas either.

I'm not aware of him disparaging vegetarians like Gordon Ramsey has, and am not aware of him trying to inflict meat addiction on the general population..in any case surely at least some of us can think for ourselves?

You may not like him because he's not veggie and because he doesn't serve veggie options in Liverpool (not even soup/salad?) - that's all fair enough - but why target him out of all the TV chefs when he at least tries? And why hold him responsible for decades of crap government policies with regards to school funding/lazy, badly thought out, excuse-ridden implementation by schools, when he's the one that tried to highlight the issue n the first place.

I still don't like him and I am a vegetarian, but I admire him for trying to make a difference. It's not his fault if other people don't seize the opportunity created to do something good.

You are completely correct - if you're dealing with reasonable, rational people. But a lot of voters/people are not.

Because of Thatcher, women politicians are likely to be tarred with the same brush. It's not right that that happens - they're completely different people, with different policies etc etc - but that's discrimination isn't it.

Morrissey was just really stating a fact I think.

I have decided (I'm sure you're all fascinated!) that I disagree with Morrissey about Jamie Orrible (Oliver). He can be rightly criticised for being, err, very un-vegetarian and for being really, really annoying. But I think he should be applauded for his '15' initiative and for his campaigns in the UK and US promoting basic cooking skills and healthy diets for kids and adults.

He has literally put his money where his (massively annoying) mouth is, and he's invested a lot of time and effort in causes he believes in and taken a lot of flak in the process. I don't really like him, but I think I sort of admire him.

Isn't he the sort of person that, if Morrissey actually talked to him and explained the impact of the meat industry on the planet, would probably see the light and go out there and do something about it? He already highlighted the cruelty of the meat industry by slaughtering a lamb on TV and by constantly mentioning during his Turkey Twizler campaign that the animals making them were treated like crap.

This is a really badly written post, I don't think I've really explained myself very well, but in a nutshell, I think Morrissey is (sadly) correct in summing up Thatchers impact on women in this country and is a somewhat wrong in dismissing Jamie Oliver out of hand.

Don't have much to add here, but I pretty much agree. I think vegetarianism has much bigger enemies than Jamie 'Orrible (a case in point: Gordon Ramsey tricking a vegetarian into eating a meat pizza for his own entertainment), and he has made some impact on the type of food served in at least some schools, which can only be positive.

not strictly true, is it?

http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/liverpool

LOVELY BUFFALO RICOTTA RAVIOLI
£6.65/£10.25
Creamed ricotta with lemon, mint and Parmesan. Pure heaven!

TURBO FUSILLI ARRABIATA
£5.95/£9.95
Sweet and spiced tomato sauce with herby breadcrumbs, sprinkled with my favourite Scotch bonnet chillies

MUSHROOM PANZEROTTI
£6.25/£9.95
Home-made half moons filled with our mate Mike the woodman's brown cap and porcini mushrooms, ricotta and Parmesan, with crispy fried sage and gremolata.

Jamie offers restrurants and food for white middle class people....he'll be pretty dumb not to have a vegetarian option on his menus.

Proper parmesan usually isn't veggie, so the only totally vegetarian option here would be the second one (which sounds rather nice actually). It depends how far you take the cheese thing though.

£6.65/£10.25

TURBO FUSILLI ARRABIATA
£5.95/£9.95
Sweet and spiced tomato sauce with herby breadcrumbs, sprinkled with my favourite Scotch bonnet chillies

MUSHROOM PANZEROTTI
£6.25/£9.95
Home-made half moons filled with our mate Mike the woodman's brown cap and porcini mushrooms, ricotta and Parmesan, with crispy fried sage and gremolata.

Jamie offers restrurants and food for white middle class people....he'll be pretty dumb not to have a vegetarian option on his menus.

There are even more veggie options that that - just had a look. Veggie Platters, veggie bruschetta, lots of veggie side dishes. Seems to offer a fairly average/decent amount of veggie options for a British restaurant. Certainly not all meat and there's no sponsorship lables from the meat industry anywhere...

He also promotes veggie recipes on the recipe section of his website, so I think it's fair to say he's not trying to get the people of Britain addicted to meat, and act as a one-man funding machine for the meat empire.

I would much rather people picked on Clarissa Dickson Wright (who was on TV this morning shooting pheasants) or her buddy Antony Worrall Thompson. Not sure either of them have ever gone out of their way to 'pay it forward'.

I don't think that the parmesan you quoted in your examples is veggie though if it's 'authentic' parmesan - it's usually made with rennet. Unless he uses an alternative?

Last edited:
"The world apparently loves the simple, whether it be professional killers such as Jamie Horrible, or the dim-witted and good-natured David Peckham, both as certain of knighthoods as their mediocrity is bona-fide. David Peckham is so dull that he is yet to master his first words."

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LVgLtpu1zys?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LVgLtpu1zys?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

TURBO FUSILLI ARRABBIATA , shame I just had my lunch...
Cheers Moz

My point was that Jamie Oliver is the sort of person who likes to get of his arse and do something. So why not reason with him and 'use' him?

He's no more a 'worker for the meat industry' than any other TV chef so why target him when he out of all of them has obviously got some sort of social conscience - ie: the '15' enterprise? He is therefore probably open to rational discussion. I believe that no-one rational can possibly deny that the meat industry is responsible for a lot of cruelty and damage, so inform him, wind him up and watch him go.

He has spoken out about the meat industry and the crap they feed us. And the fact that we allow them to because of laziness.

The fact that schools have badly implemented the new menus says more about them and the Government than Jamie Oliver. He quite rightly highlighted the issue that we're feeding our kids crap. He is not personably responsible for food prices and purchasing policies surely? Can schools honestly not think of creative ways to do better? I know of ones that have. And they're not in posh areas either.

I'm not aware of him disparaging vegetarians like Gordon Ramsey has, and am not aware of him trying to inflict meat addiction on the general population..in any case surely at least some of us can think for ourselves?

You may not like him because he's not veggie and because he doesn't serve veggie options in Liverpool (not even soup/salad?) - that's all fair enough - but why target him out of all the TV chefs when he at least tries? And why hold him responsible for decades of crap government policies with regards to school funding/lazy, badly thought out, excuse-ridden implementation by schools, when he's the one that tried to highlight the issue n the first place.

I still don't like him and I am a vegetarian, but I admire him for trying to make a difference. It's not his fault if other people don't seize the opportunity created to do something good.

good points although Jamie Oliver has recently opened a restauraunt specifically to promote/glamourise meat eating http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...s-opening-a-meat-shrine-for-caveman-diners.do
Oliver urged people to "unleash their inner caveman". ironically, this would mean eating a 97% vegan diet with the very occasional portion of meat (the so-called hunter gatherers were rather better at the gathering than hunting).
Gordon Ramsay should, indeed, really be the enemy of non-meat eaters.
regardless of that, he's a ghastly man. a dim-witted, aggressive bully. Morrissey should really be attacking him rather than the hapless Oliver.

Last edited:
I think Morrissey has perfected the art of anti-diplomacy. *sigh*

It's such a shame that he refused to speak with Cameron on the air - it would have been riveting television: like oil and water, or matter and anti-matter, or gasoline and a match.

Come to think of it, it's probably best that he cancelled.

Still, Johnny was more amusing in his twitter then Steven was in his waffling paragraphs and churlish name changing.

Agree 100%. There's also the fact that Steven probably used Johnny in a way. Mr Marr probably had more on his mind than stags when he twitted about Cameron. Broader concerns, a larger political view perhaps? (One can hope...) And there is Big Mouth using his twit and none of his own wit to ramble about his own pet obsession, vegetarianism. It makes Johnny look like an illiterate idiot who needs an educated adult to speak for him. Would you do that to a mate? :rolleyes: (But then, are they even mates...)

Let's not even mention the dull provocation that permeates the whole thing. He probably thinks the whole country will read his prose and will be up in arms to ban hunting, get a female Prime Minister AND destroy the meat industry to protect us from climate change as a reaction to his own little views. :lbf: Should have been a politician, really.

My point was that Jamie Oliver is the sort of person who likes to get of his arse and do something.(...) Why target him out of all the TV chefs when he at least tries? And why hold him responsible for decades of crap government policies with regards to school funding/lazy, badly thought out, excuse-ridden implementation by schools, when he's the one that tried to highlight the issue In the first place.

I'd say, because that's the easiest option for a dullard? But I don't want to sound like him.:lbf:
Morrissey will never achieve anything in his lifetime (except fame/ wealth; no, something good for the world I mean). All he'll ever do is sit on his arse and criticize, like a big useless veggie jelly baby. Which in turn will get people to criticize him, which is what I'm doing now. He can't inspire change: It's so obvious now. Why even pretend he's any use for animals? Honestly, why bother dissing the Queen? Think that's gonna upset her?

This statement is jelly itself. It tries to look reasonable but, upon closer examination, contains about as much intelligence as a beheaded turkey. And to think he's had months of rest! :eek:

Anyhow, this has bored me to tears. Zombies are so soporific.

The one good thing about it is that it brought EP back! :thumb:

Last edited:
good points although Jamie Oliver has recently opened a restauraunt specifically to promote/glamourise meat eating http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...s-opening-a-meat-shrine-for-caveman-diners.do
Oliver urged people to "unleash their inner caveman". ironically, this would mean eating a 97% vegan diet with the very occasional portion of meat (the so-called hunter gatherers were rather better at the gathering than hunting).
Gordon Ramsay should, indeed, really be the enemy of non-meat eaters.
regardless of that, he's a ghastly man. a dim-witted, aggressive bully. Morrissey should really be attacking him rather than the hapless Oliver.

I'll be sure to pop in for a bowl of olives next time I'm in the area.

Actually, I hate olives, so maybe just a glass of water :lbf:

£6.65/£10.25

TURBO FUSILLI ARRABIATA
£5.95/£9.95

MUSHROOM PANZEROTTI
£6.25/£9.95

When I went to Liverpool one 3 weeks ago, there was NOT anything veggie on the menu!!!!!!!! I'm not a liar :mad:
Parmesan cheese has NEVER been vegetarian and what king of THICK chef would think overwise? so that RULES out 2 of the above.

Parmesan cheese has never been vegetarian? Seriously, why? Are you ethically opposed to the milking of cows?

Why? so the nation can become addicted to meat and see no other alternative?
To make life difficult for people who are veggie and to dismiss the beliefs?
so he can make more money from the meat industry?
or all of the above?

Oh for heaven's sake, that's on par with thinking the Jews were behind 9/11. Of course he loves meat! He's a chef!

Jamie Oliver is an excellent chef, who publlishes terrific cooking books. And who makes an actual effort to introduce actual real food in school canteens, in lieu of the deep-fried processed gristle with additives and salt that otherwise tend to pass for food in a lot of people's lives. True, like 99.5% of the rest of the world he fails to live up to the exacting standards of the more flaggelant kinds of veganism, but let's keep some sense of perspective here.

cheers

When I went to Liverpool one 3 weeks ago, there was NOT anything veggie on the menu!!!!!!!! I'm not a liar :mad:
Parmesan cheese has NEVER been vegetarian and what king of THICK chef would think overwise? so that RULES out 2 of the above.

I'm confused about vegan and vegetarian. I'd never thought about non veggie cheese. Thanks for the info Lainey.

So now who wants to have a bet about how much non vegetarian cheese Mr Perfect Vegetarian "unknowingly" gulped when he lived in Italy? :thumb:

(There are 400 different sorts)

An annoying question brought to you by Rudolph the red-nosed Rennet to ruin your week-end. :)

On the menu i saw on line it wasn't listed as an veggie option. None are so its me offering that option....Also you can tell the waiter to leave out the parmesan cheese. Restaurants have a menu and you read it & they have waiters who you can ask questions.

It be alright for a Lacto-ovo vegetarian.:thumb:

If you hate Jamie Oliver so much, why did you go to his restaurant? Oh right...yeah, Morrissey didn't put this on True-to-you before you went. So now you have to sooooo sycophantic about what Steven says. :rolleyes:

Do you own any of Stella McCartney's shoes now?

Parmesan cheese has never been vegetarian? Seriously, why? Are you ethically opposed to the milking of cows?

Parmesan cheese is made with animal rennet; it's not suitable for very strict vegetarians.

Most vegetarians I know don't take it that far, they'll have a little parm sprinkled on their pasta without thinking about it. If you eat parmesan cheese, however, you are ingesting enzymes that were probably sourced from the stomach of a newborn calf or lamb.

Parmesan cheese is made with animal rennet; it's not suitable for very strict vegetarians.

Most vegetarians I know don't take it that far, they'll have a little parm sprinkled on their pasta without thinking about it. If you eat parmesan cheese, however, you are ingesting enzymes that were probably sourced from the stomach of a newborn calf or lamb.

Problem is, most of the cheeses in continental Europe are made with animal rennet.

Must be tough ordering in a pizzeria for Morrissey: "I'll have the quattro formaggi, but, without any cheese please: I'm a strict Vegetarian, you see."

:straightface:

Tags
animals <3 brilliant cheese fun stuff
Back
Top Bottom