Morrissey 2020 airplay disaster - the stats are here

Here it is, folks.
'Compare my Radio' compiles the songs played on all the national BBC (and other major) radio stations over the last month.
What is there for Morrissey? One single song gets played once!
Unbelievable.
'Once I saw the River Clean' is the song in question, and it got played once on Radio 2.
Remember at the time, someone round here mentioned that this was just the start and would probably get moved to the playlist proper. Fat chance!
Jesse T and Joe C even tweeted about it!
Wonder who at the BBC decided they had to stop playing him (virtually) completely.
I know Vanessa Feltz (a presenter and one of the highest paid employees at the BBC) absolutely hates Morrissey, and said she used to cringe whenever she had to play his songs. Maybe she had a word with the management. It's all rather bizarre...

Here it is, folks.
'Compare my Radio' compiles the songs played on all the national BBC (and other major) radio stations over the last month.
What is there for Morrissey? One single song gets played once!
Unbelievable.
'Once I saw the River Clean' is the song in question, and it got played once on Radio 2.
Remember at the time, someone round here mentioned that this was just the start and would probably get moved to the playlist proper. Fat chance!
Jesse T and Joe C even tweeted about it!
Wonder who at the BBC decided they had to stop playing him (virtually) completely.
I know Vanessa Feltz (a presenter and one of the highest paid employees at the BBC) absolutely hates Morrissey, and said she used to cringe whenever she had to play his songs. Maybe she had a word with the management. It's all rather bizarre...
I don't listen to the radio. Who does? Just my grand pa. I watch listen you tube. And my phone

You felching twats are a proper howl...

1300 physical sales - “It’s a grower and hit!”

Radio didn’t play it - “Nobody listens to the radio!”

Streams fall off after 2 weeks - “Real
Music fans buy the physical album!”

Nobody except the 14 registered users on this site give a rat’s ass - “Melvis is misunderstood and the rest of the world are scrambling to catch up with his brilliance!”

Back up his hole with the lot of you!

The joke isn’t funny anymore.

I don't listen to the radio. Who does? Just my grand pa. I watch listen you tube. And my phone

BBC Radio 2 is one of the BBC's two flagship national radio stations (the other being BBC Radio 1) and the most popular station in the United Kingdom with over 15 million weekly listeners.

I remember when Viva Hate was released and the Beeb went crazy playing "Sunday" and "Suedehead" repeatedly, forcing Moz to become ill and go underground for quite a while...so, no, I do not think this really matters....

looks like Vanessa is down to party...
1587841428257.png

Last edited:
In the late 80s, early 90s, Johnny Cash was all but forgotten in the UK. One collaboration with U2 later, and he was universally hailed as a ‘living legend’. It just takes a single twist of fate, and everything changes.

Morrissey need only tour Vauxhall & I (something he’s never explicitly done) and people would return in droves.

Given the line up for that festival he’s headlining in the United States of America or somewhere, he’s obviously no longer seeing retrospection as something beneath him.

He’s scarcely out of options—his own ego is his only hurdle. Though I accept that might, in the end, be insurmountable.

What are you doing here. ?????

Erm, I'm a Morrissey fan who doesn't like Vanessa Felch, what are you doing here?

I'm trying to figure out if it's the obscurity/difficulty in obtaining information you deprecate, or the fact that the info is not so complimentary about the chap you like?

No, you're not at all.

You're trying to be smart &, yet again, failing spectacularly...and tripping over yourself like a fool while trying to read and find options in your thesaurus in the meantime.
Time for you to depart this site & go act your mid-50s age somewhere in the real world.

Do you 'see' this?

Pathetic piece of excrement.

In the late 80s, early 90s, Johnny Cash was all but forgotten in the UK. One collaboration with U2 later, and he was universally hailed as a ‘living legend’. It just takes a single twist of fate, and everything changes.

Morrissey need only tour Vauxhall & I (something he’s never explicitly done) and people would return in droves.

Given the line up for that festival he’s headlining in the United States of America or somewhere, he’s obviously no longer seeing retrospection as something beneath him.

He’s scarcely out of options—his own ego is his only hurdle. Though I accept that might, in the end, be insurmountable.

Yeah, he's got plenty of options, most of which he's stubbornly ignoring. He probably loves being an actual disgrace esp. as it's all bullshit so he knows someone will rescue his reputation eventually.

Yeah, he's got plenty of options, most of which he's stubbornly ignoring. He probably loves being an actual disgrace esp. as it's all bullshit so he knows someone will rescue his reputation eventually.

Why should anyone else rescue his reputation, why doesn't he man up, show some humility and rescue it himself?

Who listens to the radio? Millions of people. For example,Popmaster on radio 2 is now the go to Daily Quiz for millions in lockdown with many playing against each other on social media. Millions of people in the UK have the radio on in the background at work, at home or even at play

Indeed listening figures for UK radio stations have actually grown despite the advent of information technology. 'Talk' radio such as LBC and Radio 4 especially

National radio stations Morrissey would have been played on..well 6Music he messed up by his bizarre Anne_Marie Waters conspiracy theory on a 6Music live concert (after declaring he never watches the news) and the more mainstream Radio 2 played many tracks from California Son until he appeared on American TV with a badge showing his support for a far right political party.

He only has himself to blame that Dog on A Chain, which many agree is his best album in aeons, is not getting the promotion from his record company or the media that it arguably deserves.

I'd be gobsmacked if anyone was taking advice from Fuzzy Feltz and I include listeners in that, she does the graveyard shift at Radio 2 and you'd have to be insane to listen to that fat boot!
Along with Zoe ball, Chris Evans VF talks complete and utter bullocks... all three of them talk so fast and rabbit on about nothing in particular.... and I’m completely knackered after 3 seconds..... I can understand why The wireless is not hardly listened to....

Because he's talented... he doesn't want to.

Well that ok then, i'm sure he's over the moon about the 6700 first week sales of his last album and dropping out of the top 100 after 3 days, along with not even getting in the Billboard 200 for the first time in his career.

The amount of variables at play over the last 40 years within the radio industry, the charts as a whole coupled with the change in how music is engaged with and factors that come from fans and Morrissey himself all have a bearing on things like this. The BBC is rife with internal changes and pressures too - more so than ever. It's far too complicated a broad topic to narrow down to one thing as the exact causation of any perceived consequences/agendas towards Morrissey.
You can get what you want from statistics : you can look at the OP link and say: Absolute Radio (2.3 million listeners per week) have played a Morrissey song almost 30 times in 30 days. You can say: Kerrang played Suedehead once in 30 days - how odd. You can also look at Spotify listening figures and say: people might consume music differently these days or Morrissey does quite well on Spotify... and so on.
That doesn't deny the lack of BBC attention, but I'm not convinced that every and any other 60 year old artist gets instant Radio 6 or 2 airplay.
(Insert rant about statistics here).
Regards,
FWD.

The article is perhaps a bit misleading. It's not just about BBC Radio 2 (which is actually Europe's most popular station, not just the UKs).
Since the early 2000s, there have been four radio stations in the UK that will play a new Morrissey song if they like it. Radio 2, 6 Music, Radio X (formerly XfM) and Absolute Radio. They haven't all played every new single but at least one of them has. With First of the Gang and Spent the Day in Bed, they all put them on their A-lists giving him probably the two biggest airplay hits of his career, solo or Smith. Radio 2 was the most reliable, which has been handy for Morrissey as they have a huge audience - they even playlisted songs off his covers album and feeble rubbish like Jackie's Only Happy.
But all these stations were unanimous in their decision not to play any new songs off Dog on a Chain, despite the critical and fan consensus that these are his best songs in years. And on the extremely rare occasions when any of them has played a new song, they have felt it necessary to issue a disclaimer about Morrissey's personality. If you really can't see that something pretty drastic has happened, here, in terms of radio station attitude towards him in the last 24 months, and you're just dismissing it as one of those things that happens to 60 year olds, you're probably a little deluded. Radio 2 even A-listed the new (2020) Deacon Blue song, for f***s sake, and their singer is a couple of years older than Morrissey.
As for Vanessa Feltz, yes, she has the graveyard shift on Radio 2, but she also does a BBC Radio London show, and is close to being the BBC's most highly paid female 'star'. It's just speculation that she might have some influence. It would be fascinating to know what the truth is.
And, yes, these stations are still playing Morrissey songs (Absolute in particular). They just won't touch his new stuff.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom