Morrissey 2020 airplay disaster - the stats are here

Here it is, folks.
'Compare my Radio' compiles the songs played on all the national BBC (and other major) radio stations over the last month.
What is there for Morrissey? One single song gets played once!
Unbelievable.
'Once I saw the River Clean' is the song in question, and it got played once on Radio 2.
Remember at the time, someone round here mentioned that this was just the start and would probably get moved to the playlist proper. Fat chance!
Jesse T and Joe C even tweeted about it!
Wonder who at the BBC decided they had to stop playing him (virtually) completely.
I know Vanessa Feltz (a presenter and one of the highest paid employees at the BBC) absolutely hates Morrissey, and said she used to cringe whenever she had to play his songs. Maybe she had a word with the management. It's all rather bizarre...

So a bunch of pc/sjw tossers who work for BBC don’t play Morrissey. What a surprise. I bet The Guardian’s editorial office doesn’t play much Morrissey either. Who cares.

Should he grovel and kowtow to suit their political agenda like other celebs just to get airtime? Hang the DJs!

Ok, what are the stats for Bob Dylan's Murder Most Foul?

Not being played on UK radio is an achievement.

I mean that sincerely.

Not being played on UK radio is an achievement.
I mean that sincerely.
It's an achievement alright. An achievement that wipes out most of your album sales, and makes it increasingly likely that you'll never get a record deal again.

Here it is, folks.
'Compare my Radio' compiles the songs played on all the national BBC (and other major) radio stations over the last month.
What is there for Morrissey? One single song gets played once!
Unbelievable.
'Once I saw the River Clean' is the song in question, and it got played once on Radio 2.
Remember at the time, someone round here mentioned that this was just the start and would probably get moved to the playlist proper. Fat chance!
Jesse T and Joe C even tweeted about it!
Wonder who at the BBC decided they had to stop playing him (virtually) completely.
I know Vanessa Feltz (a presenter and one of the highest paid employees at the BBC) absolutely hates Morrissey, and said she used to cringe whenever she had to play his songs. Maybe she had a word with the management. It's all rather bizarre...
if fat f*** vanessa feltz says your out,your out.who listens to radio these days,i haven't for a long long long time.the very fact that feltz who had a breakdown on big brother is a long time dj and general bore means my radio button is in the off position,also Richard bacon,ex-junkie is now a political heavyweight,this is a guy who pushed a child out of shot on the big breakfast,no wonder the government wants to get rid of the licence fee.

Is there anyone still listening to the radio? (besides from your grandma or grandpa and the taxi drivers, who will still be listening to the radio by 2520... if we get there).

I'm not being ironic, but I think the last time I have listened to the radio... it was around 1992).

Who even cares.
Records
CD
Digital

many ways to listen to the boy.

It's an achievement alright. An achievement that wipes out most of your album sales, and makes it increasingly likely that you'll never get a record deal again.
Well in a sense there is merit in both points as the choice of music on radio these days is absolutely abysmal, so if Moz isn't getting played you could say he isn't part of the Now That's What I Call Crap Muzak 2020 loop that's on every radio station these days.That said I'm certain he'd want to be part of current UK airplay as it does promote his music old & new and may earn brownie points towards a new record deal although that point could be debated until the cows come home.

Well in a sense there is merit in both points as the choice of music on radio these days is absolutely abysmal, so if Moz isn't getting played you could say he isn't part of the Now That's What I Call Crap Muzak 2020 loop that's on every radio station these days.That said I'm certain he'd want to be part of current UK airplay as it does promote his music old & new and may earn brownie points towards a new record deal although that point could be debated until the cows come home.

It's not brownie points, dude, it's the (commercial) bottom line. Radio airplay is the energy that powers album sales. Pre-2018, the main Morrissey-friendly radio stations (and there are a few in the UK) would have A-listed Bobby and Knockabout World. He would have easily been looking at total album sales of around 40-000-50,000. An artist who can sell that many is going to appeal to a fair few record companies.
Without any airplay at all, he struggles to sell 10,000 (even if the songs are great). It's almost impossible to get a deal which will fund a professionally made album when you're selling so few 'units'.

This, in particular, must really hurt - given how many times he's thanked Radio 2 in particular for playing his songs over the last few years.

I don't agree with this kind of "censorship" by the BBC (not sure if "censorship" is quite the right word, but it's not far off). I'd have no problem with it whatsoever if the actual songs were espousing hatred or violence, but songs like "Bobby", "Knockabout World" and "River Clean" are about as inoffensive as it gets.

This, in particular, must really hurt - given how many times he's thanked Radio 2 in particular for playing his songs over the last few years.

I don't agree with this kind of "censorship" by the BBC (not sure if "censorship" is quite the right word, but it's not far off). I'd have no problem with it whatsoever if the actual songs were espousing hatred or violence, but songs like "Bobby", "Knockabout World" and "River Clean" are about as inoffensive as it gets.
There is no shame in not being played by the BBC. He joins Cliff Richards: another true legend who has been censored.

It must be about 20 years since I heard anything by John Lydon on the radio; 11 since a new release by Macca (Sing the Changes) got any serious airplay.

Nevertheless, BMG will be looking at the coffers coming in; not Morrissey’s colossal impact on popular culture. Another deal with a major record company is a pipe dream. I’m trusting he can make the best use of the freedoms this affords.

Radio is an anachronism. People these days can decide for themselves what to listen to. It’s all about streaming now. 1.8 million monthly listeners on Spotify is always going to attract attention from record companies.

I see. So you only like the stuff that, however factual, portrays your hero in a good light?

There was a time when he was your absolute hero, one that you raided, & squandered, the family silver to follow. Now, you're just a bitter, twisted and tortured loser...posting on a Morrissey related website every single day of the week, including weekends, apparently.
All of which makes total sense, of course. :rolleyes:

People who hate Morrissey are tuning in a lower level of awareness. Don't blame them. Eventually, they will realize everything. It's a matter of time

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom