Morrissey A-Z: "(A) Swallow on My Neck"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Whyte composition, one of the B-sides to yesterday's song, "Sunny" - recorded in March 1994 but not released for almost two years.

What do we think?

As with yesterday’s song, a fine era, and a quite underrated track at that. Sadly ignored live in recent times.

Swoon! One of my all-time favourite Morrissey songs. So many absolutely brilliant lines in this, the melody is lovely and my god his voice at the end ("Oh I know, I know, I know"). The song also contains one of my favourite rhymes in the whole of the English language (wiser / applies to). Everything about this just makes my heart sing.

A song I discovered only this year, and I’m glad I did. Another heart tugging chord progression, with a missile-propelled rhythm section and some witty and detailed snapshots of getting a tattoo, with more connotations besides. The ending is such a jubilant way to close out the song, and demonstrates Moz’s talent for belting hasn’t been limited to the 2010s.
Another classic b-side that deserved better.
9/10

one of my all time favourites,voice is great,lyrics are simple but effective.i dont throw the 10 around too many times in the A-Z but this has to get the big gold star.
10 valhalla/10 crematorium.

'Oh I don't mind' this song at all. It's a lovely, lively number, with great vocals.
'Older and wiser
Never applies to me'...
how true.
Wonderful.

Interesting note courtesy of PJLM: "This song's working title was "The Dennis Cockall Song". It's how it is identified on the master tape."

20190911_164607+%282%29.jpg

Yup, Cockell with an e.

I agree that the Sunny EP is one of his most underrated, I also discovered these songs many years after their release. More playful and upbeat than Sunny, it is every bit as good. A simple song from a simple man with an unexpected turn in the vocal harmony towards the end instead of repeating the chorus for a third time, simply genius.
I remember reading that Sunny was recorded as part of the Boxers sessions but saved for later. How about this one?

I agree that the Sunny EP is one of his most underrated, I also discovered these songs many years after their release. More playful and upbeat than Sunny, it is every bit as good. A simple song from a simple man with an unexpected turn in the vocal harmony towards the end instead of repeating the chorus for a third time, simply genius.
I remember reading that Sunny was recorded as part of the Boxers sessions but saved for later. How about this one?
PJLM states: "This song was recorded with producer Steve Lillywhite in March 1994 at a b-sides session for the "Hold On To Your Friends" single (studio unknown). "Moonriver" was also recorded during that session, it did appear on the latter single, but not "A Swallow On My Neck" which was shelved until the end of 1995 when EMI put together the "Sunny" single comprising songs which had been left aside, such as this one."

Yep, this one's an absolute beauty.
Love the harmonies from Alain W.
In fact, could this be the only Morrissey song with a harmony running through the whole chorus?
Here's a live version from New York in 2000.

Mind Spencer back on drums!
It was flowing, little pop pieces like this, that the master could afford as a B-side, that pulled me even further into the Morrissey maelstrom. Of course, as a German, I didn't really understand the deeper content of the symbolism. Nevertheless, it seemed attractive and the mere idea of what it could be about and how Morrissey gave fertile ground to rumours was piquant. Wonderful song!

Last edited:
Yet another f***ing GLORIOUS piece of guitar pop and yet another song I can not tire of. Love the breezy, airy production, the gentle yet melodic strumming, the vocal melody and the ever so quotable lyrics about getting pissed with a bunch of gentlemen from the 'death industry' (perhaps in order to forget a lost love?). A shame it hasn't been played in recent years, but at the same time do you want to hear Jesse tear into it? Maybe now that Alain's back it could make a comeback?

Why no 12" at that point in time? Did they vanish from the surface in mid 95 or did EMI loose interest in good old Moz?

Why no 12" at that point in time? Did they vanish from the surface in mid 95 or did EMI loose interest in good old Moz?
A combination of those things, I think? Vinyl was plummeting at that point, so the only one of Morrissey's four singles in 1995 to have a 12-inch version was "Boxers". The three after that were 7-inch / CD singles. (But then "Alma Matters" in mid-97 did have a 12-inch version!)

PJLM states: "This song was recorded with producer Steve Lillywhite in March 1994 at a b-sides session for the "Hold On To Your Friends" single (studio unknown). "Moonriver" was also recorded during that session, it did appear on the latter single, but not "A Swallow On My Neck" which was shelved until the end of 1995 when EMI put together the "Sunny" single comprising songs which had been left aside, such as this one."
So it looks like this song was destined to romain in the vaults if it wasn’t for EMI‘s greed to make some more money on the back of Morrissey. Shocking.

A combination of those things, I think? Vinyl was plummeting at that point, so the only one of Morrissey's four singles in 1995 to have a 12-inch version was "Boxers". The three after that were 7-inch / CD singles. (But then "Alma Matters" in mid-97 did have a 12-inch version!)
Strange enough, all Maladjusted singles were avaialable as 12".

The question is: Is there more in the vaults, dating from 94? He did no touring, enjoyed his relationship and became a boxing enthusiast. Just lazy B-side sessions, instore signings with Jake and the Boxers recordings? Alain can't remember anything else from that period. Ach!!!

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom