Morrissey A-Z: "Born To Hang"

BookishBoy

Today's entry on the A-Z is this, an unreleased (I think?) song from the early 90s, written by Morrissey/Nevin. What do we think of this one?

(And if anybody has a better recording than the one linked to here, please do share!)

Because it comes from an era where I find Morrissey's work superior (haters, move on), I am naturally drawn to it. But alas, there is a reason for its non-release. Perhaps like with many of these hidden gems, a little polish goes a long way.

Last edited:
Not a bad demo-like recording, but yeah...you can see why it has never been released.

The drums are fairly monotonous and slightly overwhelm the track. They make it get boring very quickly.

Not the strongest of lead vocals and everything about it feels a little unfinished.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 260 from 264 solo songs.

We had a play based on it, but had to change the title because there was a suicide in the news.

I like his rockabilly Morrissey of the Damned stuff.

I love it - I think it's charming and groovy, though obviously unfinished. I prefer the originally leaked longer early mix though, with more background humming, and Morrissey's false start at 01:30 - the slick cleaned up version loses something.

I LOVE rockabilly Moz, and had this song been given an arrangement similar to the live version of Sing Your Life, it would have been one of the top tracks of that particular era. I still like it, though. It's great fun.

Another one of those very special songs that touches not only one chord in me.
I feel nothing less but a very strong maternal love for "Hang", which was originally titled - as only few know - "Born to Jean and Hank". But alas, the showbiz exacts its toll on all of us, and for some it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I am very glad that "born to sing" is still there, not to forget "born to fling" married to "born to limp", and their two lovely kids, "born to pimp" and "born to chink". I could go on and on. We are a big family and support each other whenever and whereever possible, especially Jean did (she died of a broken heart), but Hank had always been kinda different to the rest of the tribe, and he wanted it that way, he had never cared about our approval, but we'll keep him in good memory nevertheless. RIP, Hank, or Hang. And now that we are at it, Jean too.

Today's song is a total surprise to me because I wasn't aware of this song at all. My first thought was that it sounded like an earlier version of what would become Pregnant for the last time. Having listened to both a couple of times now, I realize that it isn't but it may be from the same recording session(?). Anyway, it has a good groove but it needs some additional ideas (like a chord change or a real chorus) to turn it into a real song.

Today's song is a total surprise to me because I wasn't aware of this song at all. My first thought was that it sounded like an earlier version of what would become Pregnant for the last time. Having listened to both a couple of times now, I realize that it isn't but it may be from the same recording session(?). Anyway, it has a good groove but it needs some additional ideas (like a chord change or a real chorus) to turn it into a real song.

Listening to a song for the first time? Always something to rejoice - especially if one finds the song enjoyable. Envious!

Man, to still have (available) Morrissey songs discover. Those days are long gone for me, but I remember them with joy in my heart and a tear in my eye. Viva Limewire!

Because it comes from an era where I find Morrissey's work superior (haters, move on), I am naturally drawn to it. But alas, there is a reason for its non-release. Perhaps like with many of these hidden gems, a little polish goes a long way.
Quality wise it reminds me of a song like “Pashernate Love” but PL got that extra bit of polish whereas this didn’t. I definitely hear the potential, and this would have played great live on the KU tour.

Last edited:
This one's always got its place in my Kill Uncle era playlist (the early leaked version, that is).

I love the lyrics, they're very Morrissey-esk and echo Will Never Marry.

Last edited:
It seems indeed to have been recorded at the same session.

We had a play based on it, but had to change the title because there was a suicide in the news.

Oh, you mean the song is not about hanging out and being very good at it?

;)

‘I am born to hang
well it's all healthy news
in a nutshell this means
that I never have to live like you

I am born to hang
but not to have kids
and to never be wed, no
to someone who I don't even love

hang the noose it'll eventually come loose ‘

The subject matter so very Morrissey points to other songs. Think of ‘Neal Cassady drops Dead’ or ‘Honey You know Where to find me’, I’m sure there’s others.

‘and the song that we sing
it rings in our heads
it's flowing with dread
because it's all that we know’

Makes me think of lyrics in ‘Will let you know’ and ‘Maladjusted’.

Love this little outsider rocker, Clash-abilly? but as some have pointed out a bit underfed or unfinished, maybe.

A comment by a DavidBeauy on https://songmeanings.com/m/songs/view/78091/ had this to say ...,

‘This song is specifically referencing the fact that in centuries past, Morrissey would be grouped with the Witches, the Seers, and the "Other Sex's" that most often succumbed to the hangings provided by villages intolerant of unique individuals who just so happened to transcend the trappings of everyday existence.’

At ...

‘if you're born to be hanged, then you'll never be drowned​

proverb If someone is destined to die in a particular way, no other type of injury or disaster will kill them.’

Prov. If you escape one disaster, it must be because you are destined for a different kind of disaster. (Sometimes used to warn someone who has escaped drowning against gloating over good luck.)’

something to chew on

:cool:

Last edited:
Remember my friend tellin' me he could grab music off the computer
and askin' him to check for some Moz stuff and Born To Hang came up.
It felt like findin' some shinin' gold.
It's like a great Moz song to Wild T.

Five seconds in and my mind just goes, “PHLEGM LAPELS FOR THE LAST TIME”…

Oh, you mean the song is not about hanging out and being very good at it?
No K. But this rendition is both about hanging and being good at doing so...

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

1612376607362.png

Listening to a song for the first time? Always something to rejoice - especially if one finds the song enjoyable. Envious!

I have almost every recorded Morrissey song (just a few missing that I don't care about), but the unreleased songs during the 90s somehow escaped me, wasn't checking sites like this one. Yes, it is definitely a pleasure to know that I might still discover a gem ! And it is also a wonderful opportunity to rediscover songs that I haven't listened to in a long time, or through the perspective that other loyal fans offer.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom