Morrissey A-Z: "Darling, I Hug a Pillow"

I absolutely love this song, it’s my favourite from the album (his best since the comeback IMO - World Peace would have been the best, but he relegated all the strongest songs to the bonus disc). Some Morrissey songs just hit you and you can’t adequately explain why, and that’s how I feel listening to the last minute or so. It’s the perfect encapsulation of joy and despair. Music is a very personal thing, and for me this song is top tier Moz. I’d put Bobby, What Kind Of People and The Secret Of Music in that category too. That said, I’d also include People Are The Same Everywhere in that class, which people seem to hate, so what do I know? 💁‍♂️

From the NME review of the album, this particular song "goes nowhere slowly". (I wish it lasted at least a minute longer: it's absolutely gorgeous.)

An amazing song. Beautiful instrumentation, amazing vocals and breathtaking ending. Fav off of Dog (although there was a lot of competition) and now in my Top 10 Moz songs. Essential.

absolutely love this song,guitar sounds so good.anybody who says M hasnt had a decent song in 15 years is talking mince,in my opinion of course.voice is great music is great and the nice little piano bit at the end.vivamozz.

From the NME review of the album, this particular song "goes nowhere slowly". (I wish it lasted at least a minute longer: it's absolutely gorgeous.)
Really? I was looking my watch by 1:30 and I'd nodded off by 3:20. The best thing I can say about this song is that the arrangement is quite good but beyond that, harmonically and lyrically it's very thin gruel indeed.

An okay album track. Not very keen on the vocal melody, but the lyrics are...fun and the vocals are, as always, strong. Musically it sort of plods along without really moving me. Far from the weakest of the album, but equally far from being among the strongest. 2.5-3/5.

Hearing:
"...figs all pulpy and moist..."

Thinking:
Was List Of The Lost perhaps going to be a musical? :)
FWD.

The weakest track on a strong album. The busy production does its best to hide it, but the majority of the song is just droning away on the same chord, and Morrissey isn't really offering anything he hasn't sung a million times before.

I absolutely love this song, it’s my favourite from the album (his best since the comeback IMO - World Peace would have been the best, but he relegated all the strongest songs to the bonus disc). Some Morrissey songs just hit you and you can’t adequately explain why, and that’s how I feel listening to the last minute or so. It’s the perfect encapsulation of joy and despair. Music is a very personal thing, and for me this song is top tier Moz. I’d put Bobby, What Kind Of People and The Secret Of Music in that category too. That said, I’d also include People Are The Same Everywhere in that class, which people seem to hate, so what do I know? 💁‍♂️
I know exactly what you mean about the last minute or so of this song: it floors me every time I hear it.

It's not a perfect Morrissey song by any means (the way he sings "Why can't you give me some physical love" leaves me flat) but when this song soars, it really soars...

Really? I was looking my watch by 1:30 and I'd nodded off by 3:20. The best thing I can say about this song is that the arrangement is quite good but beyond that, harmonically and lyrically it's very thin gruel indeed.
Funny - I lasted until about 2:00 or so! Had to wait until the moisty/pulpy figs were mentioned...

I love the way he sings it.

Also a friend managed to get physical love into their tv show - which impressed me.

reminds me of Lockdown 1. would get my exercise in by jogging/walking to ...Chain and this song is interesting. Can't tell if it's good or not.

Love this song and it’s funny bitter at the same time sentiment. I like the pauses. Some great lines in there. Darling you will cry for me in the years to come / for a moment that can not return is another good one. I like the way the music goes from noun and punctuated to slidey and stretching. It’s a good symbol for the songs feelings

I like this one a lot listening to it just now. It isn't/wasn't a standout on the record for me but I've never listened to it as an individual track. The lyrics seem to to meander and I'm not sure I get it or if Morrissey even knows what he is saying but the music supports that well.
I like the effect when he's singing "why can't you give me some physical love" and there is a sound like overdriven radio static or something. I don't know if it's the voice or something in the mix. There is a fuzz or distortion there. It's interesting and I think that the critical comments by reviewers miss the point by having some kind of expectation of what this song should be.

I like this one a lot listening to it just now. It isn't/wasn't a standout on the record for me but I've never listened to it as an individual track. The lyrics seem to to meander and I'm not sure I get it or if Morrissey even knows what he is saying but the music supports that well.
I like the effect when he's singing "why can't you give me some physical love" and there is a sound like overdriven radio static or something. I don't know if it's the voice or something in the mix. There is a fuzz or distortion there. It's interesting and I think that the critical comments by reviewers miss the point by having some kind of expectation of what this song should be.
And what is that point?

This is how I feel about it as well. Didn't like it listening to the whole album, couldn't really get over the trumpets.
Then I read some comments by people who seemed to absolutely love it and so I gave it a couple of close listens on its own and now I can see why. It's really quite beautiful and as mentioned before, the last minute is heavenly.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom