Morrissey A-Z: "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

BookishBoy

We finish up the short E's section of the A-Z with this song, Morrissey's second single as a solo artist and taken from Viva Hate.

What do we think of this one?

Great video too. I wonder what the girl's t-shirt said.

A true masterpiece. A career highlight. Deserves every bit of attention and hype it has gotten over the years. The production is so atmospheric, the mood so quintessentially English and the lyrics are so singular, so Morrissey.
This one is forever on my Moz top 5.

I don't eat.jpg

I think this is one of his three biggest hits. I like "Suedehead" and "There Is A Light" better but it's also great that he had a really big single that was kind of the epitome of the reasons he is forever lazily called the "Pope of Mope." Maybe this song was a mixed blessing because it does represent that part of Morrissey that is fixed in so many people's minds who might not be aware that he's also pretty funny. "How I dearly wish I was not here" is not really a knee-slapper.
Anyway, if you don't like this song you don't like Morrissey.

One of the greatest pop songs of the last century. I even bought Now 12 because it was on there - despite having the single :sweet:

I'm fascinated by the charts (always was, until they became less meaningful with the advent of streaming) and this song's chart placing is really interesting. (Am talking about the UK charts here.) Here's a shot of its second week in the chart, when it reached its highest position of #9:

sunday charts pic.jpg

First up, there are only two other good songs in that chart (The Timelords and Aztec Camera; I love Kylie but that's not one of her better ones). But isn't it kind of amazing that a song as unimpeachably great as "Everyday Is Like Sunday" never got any higher than that? Was it because the album was already out? Was it lack of radio play? Or was Morrissey just...never very mainstream at all?

It might be his greatest solo song if I had to pick one. Of course I have many other favorites but that's how strong it is. Since it's pretty much been played on every tour, I've enjoyed how it's evolved live over the years. Who can forget, "quando, quando, quando..."? This ending is probably my favorite:

"Everyday is silent & gray
When you're on your own
When you're all alone"

Edit: fixed my original YT link to the one from the Move Festival as that's the one with the above lyrics.

Last edited:
I'm fascinated by the charts (always was, until they became less meaningful with the advent of streaming) and this song's chart placing is really interesting. (Am talking about the UK charts here.) Here's a shot of its second week in the chart, when it reached its highest position of #9:

View attachment 69178

First up, there are only two other good songs in that chart (The Timelords and Aztec Camera; I love Kylie but that's not one of her better ones). But isn't it kind of amazing that a song as unimpeachably great as "Everyday Is Like Sunday" never got any higher than that? Was it because the album was already out? Was it lack of radio play? Or was Morrissey just...never very mainstream at all?
It should have been the lead single..
As it’s a better song than Suedehead
therefor I think it would have been top 3 ....
Also I can’t believe the utter and complete shite that is higher in the charts than Moz...
Dreadful when you look down that chart, thank heavens for songs like Sunday....

It should have been the lead single..
As it’s a better song than Suedehead
therefor I think it would have been top 3 ....
Also I can’t believe the utter and complete shite that is higher in the charts than Moz...
Dreadful when you look down that chart, thank heavens for songs like Sunday....
Yes, agree on the lead single thing.

suedehead.jpg

If it had been "Sunday" instead of "Suedehead" I think maybe it would have reached #2 or #3 on that chart? (It would never have outsold that Kylie single, obviously.)

Suedehead was the right choice as lead single imo and by all accounts immediately impressed the record company people. I doubt whether any other track was seriously considered.

This is a great song in its own right though obviously and I agree that the video is also excellent. Even Morrissey failing to show up for the main shoot couldn't ruin it.

Very strong b-sides as well and this certainly marks one of the peaks of Morrissey's career.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 3rd from 264 solo songs.

View attachment 69178

I think Voyage Voyage is a fantastic, melancholy pop song.

View attachment 69178

Still Morrissey’s second most famous song, second only to Suedehead, on Spotify these days. Only First of the Gang comes close.

And at 47M streams more popular now than any of the other songs in that top-10. Shows you how ‘wrong’ the charts were those days ;)

For me also a song I never tire of hearing. Also really enjoy the covers by Pretenders, 10,000 Maniacs or the Spanish one by Mikel Erentxun

very strong intro,its a song if i hear it a lot i get sick of it but only hearing it once in a while it sounds great.
havent seen this video in a while,good to see carry on abroad playing in the shop window and living room.
regarding the charts,it was the start of stock aitken waterman so the their was crap on a grand scale entering the charts.ps i exempt bros from this who had a few great pop songs which i still watch today.

very strong intro,its a song if i hear it a lot i get sick of it but only hearing it once in a while it sounds great.
havent seen this video in a while,good to see carry on abroad playing in the shop window and living room.
regarding the charts,it was the start of stock aitken waterman so the their was crap on a grand scale entering the charts.ps i exempt bros from this who had a few great pop songs which i still watch today.
Good to see some love for Matt and Luke! (and the other guy)

My goodness SAbrina, times when the stars had natural breasts. :hearteyes:
His biggest hit, even now 2020 Lockdown Anthem. My favorite version is the one from Move Festival 2004 .

Good to see some love for Matt and Luke! (and the other guy)
yeah the other guy,he went on to manage tina turner,sade and was responsible for robbie williams early solo career so hes not doing too bad for himself.i owe you nothing could have been a perfect M title for a song.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom