Morrissey A-Z: "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

I forget which live gig he said about the song something along the lines of 'John Betjeman would shit to write lyrics like these' - slightly ironic :)
Classic song however and I enjoy it now as much as I did at the time of release.
FWD.

I'm fascinated by the charts (always was, until they became less meaningful with the advent of streaming) and this song's chart placing is really interesting. (Am talking about the UK charts here.) Here's a shot of its second week in the chart, when it reached its highest position of #9:

View attachment 69178

First up, there are only two other good songs in that chart (The Timelords and Aztec Camera; I love Kylie but that's not one of her better ones). But isn't it kind of amazing that a song as unimpeachably great as "Everyday Is Like Sunday" never got any higher than that? Was it because the album was already out? Was it lack of radio play? Or was Morrissey just...never very mainstream at all?

What can anyone do when up against Kylie?!

Great video too. I wonder what the girl's t-shirt said.

I recall meeting this girl at a show in Milwaukee in 2004. She appeared to be the nearly the same as portrayed in the video - dress, manner, expressions - just older.

And that show was kicked off by the Laverne and Shirley theme!

It's his best song as a solo artist, I think. It's a shame that he's spoiled it in recent years with the 'quando, quando, quando' line which to me is much weaker than the original couplet.

Q: does Stephen Street get enough credit for writing the music, for this song? I'm honestly not dissing Marr, but this feels musically superior to a lot of the Smiths' output - or was Morrissey more open to different musical ideas by this point, post-split?

Q: does Stephen Street get enough credit for writing the music, for this song? I'm honestly not dissing Marr, but this feels musically superior to a lot of the Smiths' output - or was Morrissey more open to different musical ideas by this point, post-split?
Depending on where you look, he often gets credited as simply bass guitar on this song.
There is a lot more going on in that track than guitar, bass & drums - he clearly orchestrated everything very well and real strings are a welcome sound.
Allmusic has the full credits as:
Louise Fuller - Violin
Helen Kamminga - Viola
Rachel Maguire - Cello
John Metcalfe - Viola
Morrissey - Composer, Primary Artist, Sleeve Art, Vocals
Andrew Paresi - Drums
Vini Reilly - Guitar, Piano
Katherine Shave - Violin
Stephen Street - Bass, Composer, Guitar (Bass)
Robert Woollard - Cello

Regards,
FWD.

Certainly Street deserves loads of credit for this, but it's musically very basic and straightforward. So in that sense, it's very much inferior to anything Johnny did. However, this clearly gives Morrissey a great platform for his vocals - he doesn't have to worry about making space for the music, or Johnny's guitar riffing, at all. It's also gorgeously produced by Street. Musically simple, but brilliantly executed.

Personally, my only bugbear with 'Everyday is Like Sunday' is that it's been so overplayed that I've kind of got numb to it (a similar thing has happened to 'How Soon is Now?'). I think it could do with a good long rest, so that I'm genuinely excited when I hear it again.

In the final analysis though, I think that when Morrissey dies, this will be one of the two songs mentioned by every major news outlet as part of his legacy: '...the singer who was previously a member of The Smiths, before enjoying a solo career, and was famous for such songs as 'There is a Light That Never Goes Out' and 'Everyday is Like Sunday." I'll eat my testicles if that isn't the standard line everywhere.

One thing I've learned from this "song of the day" experience is that you can rediscover a song listening to it this way on its own.

For me, this is the only really great moment on his debut album. But I think it's perfect, really beautiful.

I find it quite interesting that Street apparently (i.e. according to five minutes on Google) wrote little or no music for anyone else. Of course I stand to be corrected by the Morrissey mavens on this one but as he clearly has some talent in that direction, it's odd that no-one else seems to have taken advantage of it.

I find it quite interesting that Street apparently (i.e. according to five minutes on Google) wrote little or no music for anyone else. Of course I stand to be corrected by the Morrissey mavens on this one but as he clearly has some talent in that direction, it's odd that no-one else seems to have taken advantage of it.
Is that right? Very odd, indeed. I’d love to hear Street’s own thoughts on this.

I'm fascinated by the charts (always was, until they became less meaningful with the advent of streaming) and this song's chart placing is really interesting. (Am talking about the UK charts here.) Here's a shot of its second week in the chart, when it reached its highest position of #9:

View attachment 69178

First up, there are only two other good songs in that chart (The Timelords and Aztec Camera; I love Kylie but that's not one of her better ones). But isn't it kind of amazing that a song as unimpeachably great as "Everyday Is Like Sunday" never got any higher than that? Was it because the album was already out? Was it lack of radio play? Or was Morrissey just...never very mainstream at all?

At last I know why this keeps turning up in the autoplay when I'm looking up 80s Indie bands!

Morrissey’s My Way ?

a very solo Moz with quiff triumphant

:cool:

Everyday Is Like Sunday. Want more?
OK, the B-Side is Disappointed. Want more?
OK, the 12" single has Sister I'm A Poet. Want more?
OK, it also has Will Never Marry.

What a time it was.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom