Morrissey A-Z: "He Knows I'd Love to See Him"

He seems to be singing about two different view points, 1. how his fans
see him, his importance to them. And 2. how he thinks non-fans the general public may see him ( maybe as a troublemaker that’s not contributing to society) represented in the song by the law.

I think there's even more depth to the part about the police.

To me it seems pretty belittling - you're just a fool who thinks he can actually achieve something without doing any 'real' work.

Which, of course, is how great thinkers are often seen - as lazy and effectively harmless because how could they ever make a difference if they don't even 'work'?
The whole section is even more ironic and contradictory considering that he really was questioned over one his lyrics, which he may as well have written in bed.

So on the one hand they see him as insignificant but they still feel the need to investigate because there might be an underlying threat after all...

Pen & sword.

I think there's even more depth to the part about the police.

To me it seems pretty belittling - you're just a fool who thinks he can actually achieve something without doing any 'real' work.

Which, of course, is how great thinkers are often seen - as lazy and effectively harmless because how could they ever make a difference if they don't even 'work'?

Yeah exactly. That’s what I meant by
troublemaker, because artists are not seen as ‘contributing’ to society because they are not doing what the general public deems ‘normal’ traditional work, and so in that way,
the artist is an outsider to society, they refuse to play ball.

So on the one hand they see him as insignificant but they still feel the need to investigate because there might be an underlying threat after all...

Pen & sword.

Yes! pen and sword. The law and more so, politicians wish they had the power to move people, and make a deep connection and difference in people’s lives the way artists do.

Also, there’s always the threat to the parents and society that an artist like Morrissey may have too much sway and power over the youth and people, he just may pervert their minds into believing that they too can think for themselves, be their true selves, and still be happy.

:cool:

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom