Morrissey A-Z: "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Whyte track from the You Are The Quarry album. This track was described in the NME's review of the album as "manic, metallic misanthropy. Morrissey gone postal."

What do we think?

It's in the group of 3-4 songs on YATQ that I usually skipped. Morrissey was lucky to have avoided the "Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics" sticker on YATQ b/c of this one. ;)

No, sorry, not at all keen on this song. Bland, plodding instrumental without any textural relief. Regurgitation of lyrical themes and even phrases from the rest of the album. A whiny tone that can’t really be taken ironically thanks to the moaning and groaning of the lyrics (I know, more than usual!) Worst on Quarry, for me.
3/10

"And as for you in your uniform
Your smelly uniform
And so you think you can be rude to me
Because you wear a uniform
A smelly uniform
And so you think you can be rude to me"

Maybe I'm too picky but I can't enjoy a song which contains lyrics that bad.

Great title, though!

This is a great song. I really like the guitar and the production tricks in the "the voices of the real" part. Surprised this one isn't universally loved but it kind of proves the title. :thumb:

Ah. Yes. One of those that STRONGLY divides opinion between Mr Shandy and myself. ME - a somewhat cliched collection of tropes already well-worn and battered. HE - a 'mid-period classic'. I apply, as always, my 'would it have made it onto an EP?' test. No, it certainly would not. And so, we beat (each other off) into the past. I sit now, looking out from Angel Meadows across Victoria Station to Shudehill on my left, Strangeways on my right and I know, as it tipples it down, that we are all of us almost at the end.

Imagine being a socially awkward 18 year old prone to depression, yet lacking any wisdom or way with words to actually being able to express this. Then imagine hearing songs like this for the first time. People always talk about Moz saving lives, but in many cases it's true.
It's not "There Is a Light...", but it's a straightforward rocker making us feel less alone, and sometimes that's more than enough.

Ah. Yes. One of those that STRONGLY divides opinion between Mr Shandy and myself. ME - a somewhat cliched collection of tropes already well-worn and battered. HE - a 'mid-period classic'. I apply, as always, my 'would it have made it onto an EP?' test. No, it certainly would not. And so, we beat (each other off) into the past. I sit now, looking out from Angel Meadows across Victoria Station to Shudehill on my left, Strangeways on my right and I know, as it tipples it down, that we are all of us almost at the end.
whats it like being mentally ill.

good song,i had a bootleg from the barrowlands from 2002 and i think there was 4 quarry songs played on that tour but the biggest shock was how slow they were on the finished album.

whats it like being mentally ill.
Well. We're not sure. To be aware of being 'mentally ill' one would need to be able to distinguish between periods of lucidity and bouts of temporary madness, unless one was, indeed, totally and utterly tonto. So, it's a 'Catch 22' kinda thing, ain't it? If we answer by explaining what it is 'like' to be mentally ill then we display a level of cognitive awareness incompatible with the actual condition. On the other hand, to declare we are not mentally ill also raises the question - 'how do we know we're not'? because our condition, to us, would appear relative and normal. I'm afraid we can't help you on this occasion but do keep in touch, your call is valuable to us. Have a great day.

"And as for you in your uniform
Your smelly uniform
And so you think you can be rude to me
Because you wear a uniform
A smelly uniform
And so you think you can be rude to me"

Maybe I'm too picky but I can't enjoy a song which contains lyrics that bad.

Great title, though!

I actually love it for that - because it's authentically the kind of embarrassing childish fury you can get into when there's an unexpected altercation.

This song tells me that there wasn't a huge difference between Maladjusted and YATQ, despite the 7 year hiatus., certainly not as far as the music is concerned. We had He Cried and Heir Apparent earlier this week, similar sounding songs (to my ears at least). Lyrically, one might argue that M. found some new inspiration, but not on this one. Hearing him use the word "shit" was sort of funny though.

This song tells me that there wasn't a huge difference between Maladjusted and YATQ, despite the 7 year hiatus., certainly not as far as the music is concerned. We had He Cried and Heir Apparent earlier this week, similar sounding songs (to my ears at least). Lyrically, one might argue that M. found some new inspiration, but not on this one. Hearing him use the word "shit" was sort of funny though.
I kind of wish he'd called this song "Fifteen Miles of Shit" - now there's a song title!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom