Morrissey A-Z: "I Knew I Was Next"

BookishBoy

Next up in the A-Z is this Morrissey/Tobias song, originally released as a B-Side on the "You Have Killed Me" single and also included on the Swords compilation.

What do we think of this one?

This is one of those random Morrissey songs that for reasons I don't understand and can't really articulate, I just absolutely love.

The chorus pops into my brain so, so often! And is the bassline, too? It's all so simple, this song, but I just love it as a piece of breezy throwaway Morrissey pop.

I have to quote Bookish here. “Breezy throwaway Morrissey pop” is exactly right. And it’s a damn good song too. Very strong vocal melody, strong chorus and even though it’s kind of a throwaway song, the lyrics are both interesting and touching. Always loved this one, ever since I bought the YHKM single(s).

If you combined the most mediocre elements of "You Have Killed Me" and "First of the Gang to Die," you'd get this song. Takes me back to the night that a bunch of the Ringleader b-sides were leaking, which was (for me) a lot of excitement quickly turning to disappointment. That said, this is probably one of the better of the bunch.

Listening to his solo tracks at random, like this, brings home to me how varied and experimental the music's been over the years. I love The Smiths, of course. They can't be replaced. But it was a limited palate of instruments and it perhaps was right that they stopped when they did because people may have become weary of the jangling guitars. The quality of the solo music could be questioned on occasion, but I find it quirky and awkward in a good way, in the true spirit of early 80s indie. And Morrissey's voice always knits everything together nicely.

Listening to his solo tracks at random, like this, brings home to me how varied and experimental the music's been over the years. I love The Smiths, of course. They can't be replaced. But it was a limited palate of instruments and it perhaps was right that they stopped when they did because people may have become weary of the jangling guitars. The quality of the solo music could be questioned on occasion, but I find it quirky and awkward in a good way, in the true spirit of early 80s indie. And Morrissey's voice always knits everything together nicely.
oh it's @Dale Wharfe, the person who ended our friendship! pffffft

A slightly below average b-side that Morrissey's vocal melody can't quite save.

The music is pretty dull, which has often been a failing during the solo career, and lyrically it is Morrissey running on autopilot.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 174th from 264 solo songs.

Surprised to see love for this track: I’ve always thought that this is one of his weakest songs. Bland instrumental. Bland, uninspired lyrics. Serviceable vocal melody. Don’t listen to this often: I doubt that will change.
4/10

This is a great one. "The shadows of trees, they reach to me" is so random and strange. I like the resignation in the lyrics and the humor and irony in the attitude. The music is good too. This is one of my favorites from that era and a good example of how great things can still turn up on a b-side.

A pleasant vocal melody, which means I can enjoy it from time to time as part of the YHKM single package.

This is a top favorite Morrissey song for me. Incredible. Insanely catchy. Once it didn't leave my head for over a week, like aggressively. I wanted to cover this with my band but never got a chance to. I am genuinely perplexed that a Morrissey fan can be so uninterested in this song. I'm not sure what else you could want out of a Morrissey pop song.

good song,love the swords album.apart from the cover of course that goes without saying.
7 knews/10nexts.

I like it - clatters along. I wish he wouldn't accept these things though. :swear

Again, pleasantly surprised to see so much love for this one. I can only agree.
I like it much better than a good bunch of songs that made it onto the album. Extremely catchy and musically interesting because it reminds me of a couple of different things at once - it feels very 70s, bit Eurovision and the backing vocals add some barber shop vibe. And the vocal melody floats atop of it all.

A decent skin is all I am :guitar::bow:🎶🎵

All in all very enjoyable.

My only point of criticism would be (as with all the Ringleader material) the sound, because it's all a bit muffled and indistinguishable in the mix.

I like it - clatters along. I wish he wouldn't accept these things though. :swear

That's part of the humour of the song though. I don't think he ever really accepts it. But when he's happy he likes to pretend he does.

The opening lines are pure snarkiness

So what do you think I am?
And how precisely could you tell?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom