Morrissey A-Z: "It Happens Every Time"

The self-titled album from which "It happens every time" is taken, is a very pop friendly album. This one is quite to the contrary. The song collection works better as a group than on their own, but

I agree, and see what you’re saying.

But Starsailor is still a classic that I feel should be in everyone’s collection. And like most great records should be listened to in one sitting.

I wouldn't mind hearing his version of "Song to a siren".

Unfortunately it is the one most covered. Usual suspect. Though there are far more interesting songs on Starsailor. Though like most Morrissey songs, others can’t really do them justice, so maybe for that reason, don’t even try.

The self-titled album from which "It happens every time" is taken, is a very pop friendly album. This one is quite to the contrary. The song collection works better as a group than on their own, but I wouldn't mind hearing his version of "Song to a siren".

lol

I was actually quite fond of the cover by This Mortal Coil in my younger years, but it has been decades since I last heard it and I don't think that at the time I was aware of the original. So I am fortunate to discover things belatedly :) .

But I agree that there's no point in Morrissey covering this song if so many other artists have already done it. Most of the time, he picks more obscure songs (presumably for personal reasons) from well-known artists, or lesser known artists. In both cases, it is more interesting. I just would like to know more about his reasons for choosing to cover particular songs. "It happens every time" is far from the most popular Tim Buckley songs on Spotify, but the album it is taken from may be more popular.

Great cover. Should have made it onto California Son.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom