Morrissey A-Z: "King Leer"

A simple song but one that’s light airy and pleasant in a superficial way that isn’t always common in Morrisseys catalog. Fits in well with the rest of kill uncle and the mood it creates

The 6 songs on Kill Uncle album are better than this song. As easy to count, 3 are worse. What does it mean ? I like it less than, for example, "Driving Your Girlfriend Home, but more than Asian Rut .

Personally, I like it. Nevertheless, it reminds me of an early 90s article in Select, or some such, which sought to expose it as an example of particularly crap writing (‘...could it be, he’s only got one knee’ apparently caused offence). The moment represents my earliest memory of Morrissey’s song writing capacities coming into question, in the music press. I think the article dates from 1992. Anyway, the knives were clearly coming out then—as the lyrics to this song are amongst the best on Kill Uncle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing but love for this one. It's not trying to be anything that it isn't. As far as novelty gags go, I find it vastly preferable to "Vicar in a Tutu" or "Death at One's Elbow" or something. As Bob Dylan once said, rhyming is an art form. Taking that philosophy into consideration, "because it's not your style / to dial" elevates this little ditty to "very minor masterpiece" status.

Wonderful song always loved this one ....
No need to listen to this on a regular basis as it just lifts the spirits every once in a while....
Tizer 10/ vodka/11

Personally, I like it. Nevertheless, it reminds me of an early 90s article in Select, or some such, which sought to expose it as an example of particularly crap writing (‘...could it be, he’s only got one knee’ apparently caused offence). The moment represents my earliest memory of Morrissey’s song writing capacities coming into question, in the music press. I think the article dates from 1992. Anyway, the knives were clearly coming out then—as the lyrics to this song are amongst the best on Kill Uncle.
I can remember when the knives were starting to come as you say around that time.....
Can remember when November came out that got some bad reviews RE the subject matter.....

I can remember when the knives were starting to come as you say around that time.....
Can remember when November came out that got some bad reviews RE the subject matter.....
Yes, he’d always been criticised for content though. But suddenly, sometime in 1992, someone decided he’d become a shit songwriter—apparently overnight. And the dogs were set upon him.

Yes, he’d always been criticised for content though. But suddenly, sometime in 1992, someone decided he’d become a shit songwriter—apparently overnight. And the dogs were set upon him.
I don't think it was exactly overnight.

Interesting Drug got some wobbly reviews.
Then Ouija Board was slated so much that it caused the Bona Drag studio album to be cancelled.
Kill Uncle also wasn't well received.
The first two singles of 1992 were then crucified (fair enough, really).

It was only the release of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I that temporarily turned things around.

The "Your boyfriend he went down on one knee" line has also featured in worst lyrics lists much more recently, though.

It’s called Danny Kelly. You’re too young to remember.
I'm familiar with the narrative. Given Morrissey's track record for being quite loose with the truth, you'll have to excuse me for not buying into the idea that there was a backroom decision made to take Morrissey down orchestrated by one single editor. Either way, the English press is not the world. NME may have given Your Arsenal a middling review, but every other outlet on earth was lauding Morrissey in 1992. Maybe you're too old to remember.

I don't think it was exactly overnight.

Interesting Drug got some wobbly reviews.
Then Ouija Board was slated so much that it caused the Bona Drag studio album to be cancelled.
Kill Uncle also wasn't well received.
The first two singles of 1992 were then crucified (fair enough, really).

It was only the release of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I that temporarily turned things around.

The "Your boyfriend he went down on one knee" line has also featured in worst lyrics lists much more recently, though.
Well yes, I was painting with a broad brush. Nevertheless, a journalist at The Melody Maker at the time (operating literally next door to NME journalists) said, to me, it happened much as Morrissey told it: there was a meeting, and they decided to get him.

The Quantick pod-cast reproduced here last week suggested as much too: some journalists who’d had long-standing reservations about Morrissey (and who’d been formerly sidelined because Morrissey made money for the rag) were apparently given the green light to say whatever they wanted. The Madstock controversy was a red-herring.

Ultimately, and happily, the hit-job impacted the music press more than Morrissey.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom