Morrissey A-Z: "Lady Willpower"

Exactly.... my only qualm with this song is Moz is openly singing about wanting to shag a woman...
Which is very confusing as it’s not ambiguous for a change . That said it’s not his words though is it ...
Still it’s best played very loud in the car
Love. It's a love song. Not necessarily a shag song.

It’s about a randy man wanting to shag a virgin girlfriend....

What’s wrong with you lot ...

My fear here is this song just might, might turn Moz straight.....

Then everything we know will be turned upside down 🤪🤪🤪🤪
Ah, whatever. It's all good. I know he'd not break a girl's heart to break her cherry.

The pain was excruciating when I chose to have mine broken at 12. I'd been virgin shamed and hunted down a stud.
Afterwards, I thought he hadn't completely ripped through my hymen, and that I had failed and remained a virgin. The next penetration was a different man, who raped me. I pleaded with him that I was a virgin but he wanted to do it all the more for it. It felt like nothing. That's how I know that the first guy did sever my hymen as I intended him to. He was peeved about the blood on his white sheets. He thought it was menstrual blood.

Afterwards, I thought he hadn't completely ripped through my hymen, and that I had failed and remained a virgin. The next penetration was a different man, who raped me. I pleaded with him that I was a virgin but he wanted to do it all the more for it. It felt like nothing. That's how I know that the first guy did sever my hymen as I intended him to. He was peeved about the blood on his white sheets. He thought it was menstrual blood.
Come down Shazz...
quit throwing your business into the arena....
you need to save a bit for yourself ..
As we all do 👍👍👍

It's my life I'm expressing. Because I was raped I shouldn't express myself?

It's not about a woman. I don't think Willpower is a real name like Spencer, Jones and so on. It's rather a personification of willpower/strength/self-discipline etc., and the singer is calling on this psychological force to seek him out. At least that's what I get from it.
I know you want to see me
but you're afraid
of what I might
have on my mind

= The willpower is shy, because it fears how the subject might use that force. Having a lot of willpower can be good, but also bad, it depends on what goal/object the will is directed towards.

It's not about a woman. I don't think Willpower is a real name like Spencer, Jones and so on. It's rather a personification of willpower/strength/self-discipline etc., and the singer is calling on this psychological force to seek him out. At least that's what I get from it.
I know you want to see me
but you're afraid
of what I might
have on my mind

= The willpower is shy, because it fears how the subject might use that force. Having a lot of willpower can be good, but also bad, it depends on what goal/object the will is directed towards.

Wikipedia has a more prosaic explanation of the song's subject:
"It is sung from the point of view of a man who is frustrated that the woman he loves will not agree to have sex with him. He coerces her, pledging to "shower [her] heart with tenderness" if she submits, but also issues an ultimatum ("It's now or never") if she does not."
The lady appears to be the one with the willpower, at least sufficient to rebuff the advances of the man. It's all a bit iffy really, albeit not as iffy as Young Girl.

"It is sung from the point of view of a man who is frustrated that the woman he loves will not agree to have sex with him. He coerces her, pledging to "shower [her] heart with tenderness" if she submits, but also issues an ultimatum ("It's now or never") if she does not."
The lady appears to be the one with the willpower, at least sufficient to rebuff the advances of the man. It's all a bit iffy really, albeit not as iffy as Young Girl.
The more you ignore me, etc...

Yeah, that's how I read the original as well. Just looking at the lyrics it's open to interpretation though (as always).

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom