Morrissey A-Z: "Maladjusted"

Top 10 Morrissey songs for me, it has a little of everything that makes the man unique - the words - the voice, the storyline!

This is an absolutely essential song in any Morrissey.collection.
And guess wha, just had a look at the “This is Morrissey” playlist on Spotify, and it’s not there !,
So it is honestly better to be maladjuste in this age of modern music.
Because these music sélection algorithmes - never to be trusted.

On the subject of this song in the 2009 expanded and redesigned edition of the "Maladjusted" album, Morrissey wrote:

"Boz had written a risky tune with a dramatic outro. I ignore the risky tune and utilize only the outro, making it the entire recorded song. If Life is meaningless, then why did it ever begin? Michael Bracewell asks, 'are you mentioning Stevenage because you like Here we go round the mulberry bush so much?' and my answer is No. It is enough just to be."

From http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/songs/songs-maladjusted.htm
Makes me wonder what Boz thinks about this song, with only a part of his music use?
It remains a risky album opener, even in its amputâtes version.

While there are plenty of songs post-1997 that I love, I consider this to be the last "great" song Morrissey ever wrote.

Makes me wonder what Boz thinks about this song, with only a part of his music use?
It remains a risky album opener, even in its amputâtes version.

When Moz says ‘jump!’

Boz asks ... ‘how high?’

or not.

;)

I love it, but it amuses me that Boz got paid for this basic 3 chord musical sequence. It must have been the easiest payday the guy every had in his life.

I don't really understand why Boz's songwriting contributions are overlooked so often around here, let alone the grief he sometimes cops.

Alain was a fine songwriter, and is rightly missed, but when it comes to the very best tracks - the honest-to-Moz, platinum-plated masterpieces - Boz's chunky guitar riffs are seldom far away. I'm thinking of 'Maladjusted', 'Speedway', NMHIF - even latter-day powerhouses like 'Mountjoy' and 'Istanbul'. They all have the signature Boz sound.

As a guitarist, I find it amusing watching Boz on stage. His default position is to look disinterested and strum the chords - it helps that you can rarely hear him in the mix! Sometimes it provides a brilliant comic foil to the comparatively histrionic Moz.

The only time I can recall him vaguely appearing to put some effort in was when he played the solo to 'Shoplifters' c 2012 (while in his 'Gaynor Tension' drag attire). And even that is hardly a stretch musically... Nonetheless, it's clear that Boz is an excellent musician. He just knows exactly what to play - and when.

I love it, but it amuses me that Boz got paid for this basic 3 chord musical sequence. It must have been the easiest payday the guy every had in his life.

I'd say that's a fair exchange for having to wear some of those t-shirts over the years.

While there are plenty of songs post-1997 that I love, I consider this to be the last "great" song Morrissey ever wrote.
Agreed. It certainly marks a turning point for Moz for me regarding his creative output - at least for those post-Maladjusted.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom