Morrissey A-Z: "Never Again Will I Be a Twin"

I love this song - aside from the obvious stylistic shift, why didn’t this make the album? The instrumentation is very jagged, with the drums sounding more like metal being hit (similar to, but not as impactful, as Kraftwerk’s “Metal on Metal”). The extensively minor key melody is also excellent, as is the downwards guitar riff. It’s gleefully dark, narrating a story of a lost twin, through some unspecified “operation”. This then leads to diatribes over the state of the working class and blood freezing - as you do! Make no mistake, though, I have adored this song since it’s release: the most adventurous and enjoyable bonus track from High School. A lost gem, definitely.
9/10
(Oh, and does anyone else think that the riff is similar to the start of Beck’s “Cellphone’s Dead”?)

One of his best from recent years. Dark, ominous and groovy, all at the same time.
The operation went well, but the patient died.

This reminds me of something from the early 80s.
Haven’t really listened to this song a lot but I like the mood of it, dark and stalking like.

U2 meet Blondie on a bad day. His search for new musical ways maybe interesting for some but "0h, not for me. Not for me". Nothing that I dig out to play more than once a year (or less).

Not a fan to be honest. I reckon this is the bottom of the pile on the Hoffman board.
I'm sure this track has some good qualities, identifiable by some I'm sure, but I haven't a clue what they might be.
Despite the above, Moz's voice is pretty solid.

I found some parts musically interesting, but this is one instance where Moz didn't save it lyrically.

Whenever Moz sings the song title right off the bat - I always get a bad feeling...

I found some parts musically interesting, but this is one instance where Moz didn't save it lyrically.

Whenever Moz sings the song title right off the bat - I always get a bad feeling...
Almost said this about the "Neal Cassady" yesterday. But I really like this one. There was a live version in the downloads section that made me like a lot of songs from this era that I didn't care for on the official release.

Almost said this about the "Neal Cassady" yesterday. But I really like this one. There was a live version in the downloads section that made me like a lot of songs from this era that I didn't care for on the official release.
Roger that! Funny how a song, when sung live, can change one's perspective entirely!

isnt a terrible song,one of those were you have to be in the mood.music and voice are fine and has a good instrumental.this appeared a few years ago when we got all those songs for free.
7 shits/10 heads.

In the words of Gerry and the Pacemakers: I Like It!

Never Again Will I Be a Twin
has a somewhat sinister darkness to it, both in the intriguing lyrics and ominous music. I feel this song was worthy of inclusion in Low In High School’s original dirty dozen, but perhaps it was thought that it just didn’t sit quite right. Either way – I enjoy it, a strong album track. How Do You Do It?

I love this one! I get strong early 80s quasi-goth vibes from the music - Killing Joke or something, maybe? Anyhow, it sounds dark, ominous, intriguing. Not quite sure what Morrissey's going on about over the top of it but the whole thing has a sinister feel to it which suits him well. And as others have said, this is far, far more interesting than some of the stuff that made it on to the album itself.

Absolute standout track from the LIHS era for me, which now feels like a prelude to IANADOAC.
Moody soundscape and another disillusioned Moz lyric about the futility of human relationships.

Mando has contributed some great stuff as a songwriter.

In the twin-like realm, in the plastic arts
Of falling in love, what a joke that was

Sidenote: this might be another instance of him carrying fragments of lyrics around for years. This picture is from 2008 and the words on Boz's chest ('DEAD IN THE BATH') oddly resemble the first line of the last verse of Twin.

Dead at the breast, outcast in the bath

DeadInTheBath.jpeg

Last edited:
I enjoy this, but perhaps not as much as some others do. I agree though that Mando has been a very good addition to the songwriting pool.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 57th from 264 solo songs.

Don't mind the dark edge and 80s nostalgia at all.
A bit like early New Order with a much better voice.
Although at that time, Morrissey and The Smiths were very much at the opposite end of the musical spectrum.
Which makes this song an interesting curiosity rather than a top track.
7/10

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom