Morrissey A-Z: "Oh Phoney"

Here's something I had in my notebook, but can't see on this site.
Kevin Armstrong's own recording of the track:

Thanks for that - wow - listening to the opening 30 seconds guitar on Armstrong's version just shows how strong the music actually is. If this is what he delivered to Morrissey back at the time, he must have been expecting Smiths-level greatness, but Morrissey's slightly silly lyrics push things into more throwaway territory. A shame.

This more bare intimate presentation of the song Oh Phony works much better than the Morrissey version to me,
maybe it’s the way Armstrong heard it when he originally wrote the music, wonder how he felt hearing
the Morrissey version.
The guitar intro of Kevin Armstrong's version is actually quite nice, so it is a pity that Morrissey threw it out (or sang over it). Nor do I like Morrissey's high-pitched voice on this one, it's completely off.

The guitar intro of Kevin Armstrong's version is actually quite nice, so it is a pity that Morrissey threw it out (or sang over it).

Nor do I like Morrissey's high-pitched voice on this one, it's completely off.

does it sound phony to you ?

;)

Would have made a great B-Side, but probably not album worthy. I have to say though, I much prefer the mix on the original leaked version, with more stompy Madness feel. The official release seems a bit too 'stripped back'.

I almost hear Picadily Palare here (which is another Armstrong composition).

I almost hear Picadily Palare here (which is another Armstrong composition).

Yeah that piano. And probably why it wasn’t used on the Palare single. Someone here mentioned it might have been a better b-side than ‘Get off the stage’.

I can’t imagine what single it would have fit on at the time.

tony the phoney vs oh pony.

Yeah that piano. And probably why it wasn’t used on the Palare single. Someone here mentioned it might have been a better b-side than ‘Get off the stage’.

I can’t imagine what single it would have fit on at the time.

Exactly that. My thought was that this version of Oh Phony was dropped or shelved in favor of the similarly sounding but superior Picadily Palare.
Perhaps it could have been used together with the other Armstrong co-write He Knows, on the November Spawned a Monster EP instead of Girl Least Likely, with the latter then taking the place of Get Off The Stage on the Picadily Palare EP?

Exactly that. My thought was that this version of Oh Phony was dropped or shelved in favor of the similarly sounding but superior Picadily Palare.
Perhaps it could have been used together with the other Armstrong co-write He Knows, on the November Spawned a Monster EP instead of Girl Least Likely, with the latter then taking the place of Get Off The Stage on the Picadily Palare EP?

Yes, but I think Palare is a great single because GOTStage is on it. :lbf:

It’s an interesting and fun sound for Morrissey, especially at that time, a way of him saying ‘I could go in any musical direction I want’.

Maybe November could have been a four song 12 inch ?

November, He Knows, Phoney, Girl Least ?

Last edited:
This should have been the B side to 'Striptease with a Difference'. Top 10 UK hit, I tells ya .

I don’t think that would have been a hit, but I think it could have been a great video!

Yes, but I think Palare is a great single because GOTStage is on it. :lbf:

It’s an interesting and fun sound for Morrissey, especially at that time, a way of him saying ‘I could go in any musical direction I want’.

Maybe November could have been a four song 12 inch ?

November, He Knows, Poney, Girl Least ?
Yes, like EDILS and Suedehead. Or a double package (single + EP) like IBEH or FOTGTD.
Dream on.

A testament to Morrissey's melodic strengths at the time that he could write goofy lyrics to some borderline retarded music and still trigger a deep sense of romantic anguish and yearning. Love this song, but prefer the original leaked version for authenticity's / nostalgia's sake.

Would have made a great B-Side, but probably not album worthy. I have to say though, I much prefer the mix on the original leaked version, with more stompy Madness feel. The official release seems a bit too 'stripped back'.

Agreed 100000000%

When I first heard this song, I was incredulous as to it actually being Moz. It just seemed as if he was taking a piss at our expense - Moz singing a parody of himself! Probably best it never made a formal release. But oh how it captures the sound of that time!
Really?
Are you one of the "fans" who don't quite grasp Morrissey's sense of humour. It is very English, it is true. You either get it or you don't

Personally. l loved this when it dropped. When it did moz had turned into American Moz and then Rome Moz .. it was all bit tepid.
This to me was a huge huge breath of fresh air . Funny , fun and gloriously carry on. Very English music hall .

Really?
Are you one of the "fans" who don't quite grasp Morrissey's sense of humour. It is very English, it is true. You either get it or you don't

Personally. l loved this when it dropped. When it did moz had turned into American Moz and then Rome Moz .. it was all bit tepid.
This to me was a huge huge breath of fresh air . Funny , fun and gloriously carry on. Very English music hall .

Really?
Are you one of the "fans" who cannot get off their high-horse? Get over yourself.

"You either get it or you don't" -- thanks for that pearl o' wisdom, Gandalf.

A strange song, this one. It seems very knowingly self-parodying, with the giant leaps in vocal ranges and the "stuffed nose" delivery on the titular phrase. The song has a Madness-like feel, a debt more clearly acknowledged with the original leak that places the drums front and centre of the arrangement. The release we actually got seems a bit jumbled - a guitar riff here, a buoyant piano roll there - not help by the more timid percussion section that leaves the rest of the instrumentation hanging embarrassed in mid-air. There is promise - it's just not really acted upon in the best, or indeed any, way. Perhaps my least favourite of the Bona Drag outtakes we got.
5/10

I loved it, I never heard it, Moz is detuning on purpose, but with his style !!! Viva Moz

Love this one and always change the designated name of my mobile to 'Phoney' in honour of it 😎

Deeply funny.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom