Morrissey A-Z: "Shame Is the Name"

[Unrelated to this song, so apologies, but: I'm off on holiday for 12 days from Tuesday and will be completely offline for that time. Are people OK to take a break from these A-Z entries, or does somebody else want to keep it going while I'm away? Happy either way!]
Have a great break Bookish, & thanks for your excellent efforts thus far. Bon voyage!

Yeah I forgot to say have a good holiday. Hope you’re going somewhere fun as plane tickets are pretty cheap at the moment depending upon where your going

I'd like to propose a random applause for this song. Just this verse proves Morrissey is in a league above most of the so called "pop stars". Imagine "artists" like Lady Gaga, Adele, Justin Bieber and Beyonce daring to sing such lines:
"Politician, can you listen to yourself for just once in your life?
Because of something you said, teen soldiers are dead
Because of money you saved, seniors are in their graves"

Never, because they're frauds. True art should provoke, engage and/or inspire. But it's too dangerous for the record industry slaves ("they're so scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career").

I'd like to propose a random applause for this song. Just this verse proves Morrissey is in a league above most of the so called "pop stars". Imagine "artists" like Lady Gaga, Adele, Justin Bieber and Beyonce daring to sing such lines:
"Politician, can you listen to yourself for just once in your life?
Because of something you said, teen soldiers are dead
Because of money you saved, seniors are in their graves"

Never, because they're frauds. True art should provoke, engage and/or inspire. But it's too dangerous for the record industry slaves ("they're so scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career").
Shut up, you f_cking muppet.

That's me being "dangerous".

Also, the "politician, can you listen" bit makes me wince every time I hear it.

Big fan of this song – love its breezy, windswept air. Such a contrast to the dismal plod-rock we had to endure for so many songs in the 1995-2010 era. Also love the harmonica part (first time since Hand in Glove/Still ill?), the tremolo guitars, the tinkling piano, the Chrissie Hynde harmonies, the classic Morrissey lyric (addressing both genders equally). It’s a beauty. More of this please in the new Morrissey/Whyte stuff!

Big fan of this song – love its breezy, windswept air. Such a contrast to the dismal plod-rock we had to endure for so many songs in the 1995-2010 era. Also love the harmonica part (first time since Hand in Glove/Still ill?), the tremolo guitars, the tinkling piano, the Chrissie Hynde harmonies, the classic Morrissey lyric (addressing both genders equally). It’s a beauty. More of this please in the new Morrissey/Whyte stuff!
Harmonica on 'Death At One's Elbow' methinks.

A really excellent b-side. Not one I'd particularly seek out perhaps, but always a pleasure to hear for all the reasons mentioned above.

As an aside, does anybody know why Swords is no longer available on Spotify?

[Unrelated to this song, so apologies, but: I'm off on holiday for 12 days from Tuesday and will be completely offline for that time. Are people OK to take a break from these A-Z entries, or does somebody else want to keep it going while I'm away? Happy either way!]
You've done a great job and I look for this almost every day. I'll read the other comments but I'm okay with taking a break although I will miss the daily posts.

"Shame is the Name" was one of the best songs from this period. The music and the vocal performances really work for me and the Chrissie Hynde guest spot is used to pretty good effect. I really like it a lot and can't say anything bad about it. At the time I played it often. 9/10 for me.

A really excellent b-side. Not one I'd particularly seek out perhaps, but always a pleasure to hear for all the reasons mentioned above.

Would love to know why as well

It appears to have ceased to exist digitally.
Amazon &, Qobuz, Apple...
Part of the digital licensing / label issues?
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom