Morrissey A-Z: "Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear" (live cover)

BookishBoy

Today's song is Morrissey's live cover (Boston, October 2007 being the only time as far as I can tell?) of this Randy Newman composition - originally written for Frank Sinatra Jr. (who never used it) but then made popular by the Alan Price Set for whom it was a UK hit in 1967, when Morrissey was 8. It has also been covered by the Muppets, Harry Nilsson and Okkervil River.

The song's first line, of course, is: "I may go out tomorrow if I can borrow a coat to wear"...

Anyway, what do we think? [Back to more straightforward Morrissey content tomorrow.]

Well, it didn't last long enough to really get mad at it. I got kind of a David Bowie vibe like it's something he could have done. Never heard this before or was aware of it at all and that's one of the great things about this series. I'll give this a 6/10.

This song, well, the Alan Price Set's version, is a happy, cheery number - an occasional go to of mine. Alan Price is rarely mentioned these days, but wrote/performed some great stuff a way back when and, I believe, still tours/performs. 'Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear,' along with 'Don't Stop The Carnival' have always been two of my personal favourites of his.

Morrissey's live cover is nice enough - loyal to the original and just a little bit of fun. Of, course, the nod to the inspiration behind Morrissey's famous 'I would go out tonight..' line is a joy to hear.

Never heard of this before, let alone actually heard it and...it’s OK. It’s difficult to score it since it’s not even a minute long and the sound quality’s a bit off, but sounded quite close to the original. Enjoyed the Muppets’ version better, if I’m honest!
N/A

alan price used to be on tv all the time when i was a boy,the song is what it is,its half a song at that.
5 dancing bears/10 half a song.

A mildly entertaining little triviality.

Btw, the fact that things like this are being discussed reiterates to me that it would have been nice if The Smiths songs had been included as part of these alphabetical discussions. Approximately half have probably been sung during the solo years now anyway, and Morrissey has said that they are also his songs.

Not a criticism, of course, as @BookishBoy has done a great job with these threads. Just a suggestion.

A mildly entertaining little triviality.

Btw, the fact that things like this are being discussed reiterates to me that it would have been nice if The Smiths songs had been included as part of these alphabetical discussions. Approximately half have probably been sung during the solo years now anyway, and Morrissey has said that they are also his songs.

Not a criticism, of course, as @BookishBoy has done a great job with these threads. Just a suggestion.
Yes, agree. We can follow this up with a Smiths A-Z, definitely!

And then a Johnny A-Z, just for his biggest fans on here ;)

Just a fun, nostalgic, little tribute by Moz.
"Outrageous alarming courageous charming"...surely words which Moz can still identify with today, maybe...
Wonderful.

Mild entry & briefest of mentions in autobiog. I love the pedantry on display. Man after my own heart :):

“1967’s major investments are Simon Smith and his amazing dancing bear by Alan Price (who sings ‘well excepted everywhere’, which surely ought to be ‘well accepted everywhere’)”...

Very cute.

Believe this was done during the Speedway break(?) if so that would explain its extra shortness and just one of the reasons why it was done at all, so thank you Speedway!
It was the set opener :)
Regards,
FWD.

Today's song is Morrissey's live cover (Boston, October 2007 being the only time as far as I can tell?) of this Randy Newman composition - originally written for Frank Sinatra Jr. (who never used it) but then made popular by the Alan Price Set for whom it was a UK hit in 1967, when Morrissey was 8. It has also been covered by the Muppets, Harry Nilsson and Okkervil River.

The song's first line, of course, is: "I may go out tomorrow if I can borrow a coat to wear"...

Anyway, what do we think? [Back to more straightforward Morrissey content tomorrow.]

Thought you was having a break ? :lbf:

This song, well, the Alan Price Set's version, is a happy, cheery number - an occasional go to of mine. Alan Price is rarely mentioned these days, but wrote/performed some great stuff a way back when and, I believe, still tours/performs. 'Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear,' along with 'Don't Stop The Carnival' have always been two of my personal favourites of his.

Morrissey's live cover is nice enough - loyal to the original and just a little bit of fun. Of, course, the nod to the inspiration behind Morrissey's famous 'I would go out tonight..' line is a joy to hear.
Yes, I agree .
It's proof of how M is ultimately loyal to his influences. Lots of people wouldnt dare cover a song that contained lyrics they swiped and rearranged.
Good for him. As we know there are lots and lots of bands that steal from M but don't admit it and loads of fans who stalk him and pretend they hate him.

Yes, I agree .
It's proof of how M is ultimately loyal to his influences. Lots of people wouldnt dare cover a song that contained lyrics they swiped and rearranged.
Good for him. As we know there are lots and lots of bands that steal from M but don't admit it and loads of fans who stalk him and pretend they hate him.
Which bands "steal" from Morrissey and don't admit it?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom