Morrissey A-Z: "The Lazy Sunbathers"

I still like it, but I actually think it's the weakest song on the album. It's always felt slightly inconsequential to me, especially when compared to the other tracks that surround it. [7 out of 10]

A nice song, but I agree that it is one of the lesser songs on the album. I don't think it's really a stand out track judged on its own merits, but it benefits from being surrounded by a lot of quality.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 160th from 264 solo songs.

I know it's probably a bit invidious to start finding inconsistencies in lyrics that were written over twenty years apart, but how would the lazy sunbathers know there was a world war, global warming, or children getting shelled if they followed the Spent the Day in Bed edict and stopped watching the news?

No matter how much you ignore media and it’s take on this world and it’s issues, there’s always a friend too eager to tell you their opinions on the latest news.

:cool:

Dreamy, woozy, beautiful. Another highlight from an exceptional album.

Thanks to Lillywhite for that too. Imagine if Finn produced Vauxhall,

Yikes ! :fearscream:

We most likely wouldn’t be talking
about Vauxhall they way we do if that were the case.

When Vauxhall came out this was not one of my standout tracks - not a skip just not one I would replay. Hearing it now it's atmospheric and simply beautiful. The music and vocals are perfectly matched... this is a Morrissey that I miss very much.

This has always been a favorite. I love minor songs and the way that they can sometimes convey a small profundity in the way that an overwrought epic can't. As @Ketamine Sun mentioned, a lot of credit goes to Steve Lillywhite for turning the simplicity of the tune into a gorgeous daydream.

It also makes me feel nostalgic for an earlier time of internet Moz fandom, as the opening chord progression used to play on a loop over the Arcane Old Wardrobe / Motorcycle Au Pair Boy website.

Amazed at the love for this song. Just listened to it for the first time in years and it's exactly as I remembered.
Pleasant/harmless enough but absolutely nowhere near the quality of primetime solo/Smiths. What's wrong with you people!

Last edited:
Amazed at the love for this song. Just listened to it for the first time in years and it's exactly as I remembered.
Pleasant/harmless enough but absolutely nowhere near the quality of primetime solo/Smiths. What's wrong with you people!
its called choice,remember mike choice drummer with the smiths.

Fits beautifully into a flawless album. Only Morrissey can sound like this and pull this off.
Probably not a radio friendly song, but all the better for it.

Listen without comparing

Then your heart will hear.

:)

Yep, my sentiment too, as a stand-alone it’s not great. However, it operates wonderfully as a part of the whole.

It's an eargasm for sure back then and now. Melodic, funny. It stayed with me for decades long after I mostly stopped listening to him.

When I was young, I laughed at the lyric, because I was a 'lazy sunbather' listening to Morrissey with my gay male friends & leading a superficial life. And now, it's relevant due to the political times we're in.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom