Morrissey A-Z: "This Is Not Your Country"

I can admire this song’s lyricism, and how it deals with the public view on Northern Ireland, especially in the Troubles, but this song just doesn’t have enough melodic and instrumental substance in order to warrant a 7 minute plus runtime.
Unlike other lengthy songs Moz has released, this has less melodic and compositional development, preferring to remain fixated on one solemn riff and repeat that into eternity. You forget about the lyrics because the tune becomes so grading by the end (unlike, say, “Teachers” or “Southpaw” or “I’m Not A Man” - hell, even “The Secret of Music” tries some different things throughout!).
Further, the production from this era is pretty anonymous as a whole, but especially with songs like this (and possibly “Ambitious Outsiders”) any grandiose, pseudo-Classical compositions are stifled at birth by blandness.
I’m sorry but this one’s never clicked with me: maybe in the future something will change or make more sense.
5/10
My thoughts exactly

I’ll be honest. The only thing M related that was a disappointment in 97 was the length of the setlist
This song has held its own for me over the last 1/4 of century.

I’ll be honest. The only thing M related that was a disappointment in 97 was the length of the setlist
This song has held its own for me over the last 1/4 of century.
Really Janice.... and I thought you were only 24 👶🏻👶🏻

I'm no fan of the state of Israel. Created after a land grab from the poor Palestinians who were living there. But really you could say the same about most countries on the face of the globe. Most countries were created after stealing land that previously belonged to someone else. In fact, it's hard to think of a country that wasn't. We are a lovely species...
Yeah, I know. Just strikes me as odd. He obviously leans to the political right these days, and the song “This Is Not Your Country” would indicate he is anti-Northern Ireland, yet supports Israel…

Not criticising him for it, I’d just be interested in hearing his reasoning.

Yeah, I know. Just strikes me as odd. He obviously leans to the political right these days, and the song “This Is Not Your Country” would indicate he is anti-Northern Ireland, yet supports Israel…

Ere........that's actually pro-Irish and anti-British. It's not a good song in any sense.

We must be listening to two different songs. The line This is not your country is a chant towards England. How is that "anti Northern Ireland"?

We must be listening to two different songs. The line This is not your country is a chant towards England. How is that "anti Northern Ireland"?
The chant towards England is that Ireland is not your country, so Northern Ireland should not exist. Which is about as anti NI as you can get.
Maybe you are listening to a different song.
The one I’m talking about is called This Is Not Your Country, by Morrissey.

Last edited:
The chant towards England is that Ireland is not your country, so Northern Ireland should not exist. Which is about as anti NI as you can get.
Maybe you are listening to a different song.
The one I’m talking about is called This Is Not Your Country, by Morrissey.
On which planet would Morrissey be anti Northern Ireland? Please point us in the direction of all of Morrissey's anti Northern Ireland hatred. I must've missed that memo.
Me thinks on this song, you are wrong.

On which planet would Morrissey be anti Northern Ireland? Please point us in the direction of all of Morrissey's anti Northern Ireland hatred. I must've missed that memo.
BDD23F8D-605D-4C9C-B34D-26C5D5CBCDFD.jpeg

“Me thinks” 🤮 I pointed you in roughly the right direction.
Being wrong is one thing, but being wrong while being so condescendingly certain you are right… silly man.

I was just looking at the Peugeot advert from this thread and a clip from the 1993 movie Schindler's List came up YouTube - the little girl in red in an otherwise black-and-white film seems to have been inspired by that movie.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom