Morrissey A-Z: "You're the One for Me, Fatty"

Decent enough guitar pop from Alain, but easily the worst song off of YA and one of the worst singles he has ever released. The fact that it’s the most played Arsenal song in live sets is repulsive, perverse and repugnant.

Some people on here need to lighten up a bit; even Moz has a bit of fun from time to time. Try it you might like it.
I think it's a great, fun, lively pop track with great 'singalongability', & one I've always loved. Great guitars, drums (Cobrin again!), bass, vocals.
Fat-tastic mate!

It’s obviously not one of his classics, but I still like to hear because it has a positive and uplifting vibe.
At the time, I dedicated it to one of our cats, for the obvious reason that i was overweigh, so it brings back good memories.
And I think Moz brings it back from time to time to keep Boz happy.

The idea of singles didn’t press much on my judgement of the song as it was purchased long after its release. I find it fun uptempo and breezy easy to sing along to and of course the harmony. It’s got a good feeling which is enough for me hear. I don’t have to process and enjoy every morrissey song with just my head

This is a good example of lack of objectivity by the fans: "Kiss me a lot": oh, Morrissey has definately lost it. "Fatty": oh what a likable pretty song... it reminds me so many beautiful moments...

This song makes me think of the incident M described in Autobiography where Johnny Marr said ‘Ta fatty!’ to a Smiths fan that was chasing after their car as it was pulling away.

1:19 in

btw I was at both of these tapings, glory days !

Just to slightly correct you, KS, it was "Ta'ra"...:

"In Denver city center a plump girl bangs on the window of the car shouting: ‘Ooh, I always wanted to meet you!’ which strikes me as odd since we have only existed for three years – ‘always’ surely not amounting to that much time at all. Johnny sits back and shouts: ‘Ta’ra, fatty,’ as the car pulls away. I am shocked, but I then fold into convulsive laughter. Some terrible moments are funny."

This is a good example of lack of objectivity by the fans: "Kiss me a lot": oh, Morrissey has definately lost it. "Fatty": oh what a likable pretty song... it reminds me so many beautiful moments...

Super agree with that

yeah there may be a nostalgia factor for some on Fatty. Though I’d still have to go with Fatty, it has a great movement and soaring quality to it that I like.
Of course we all have our taste, and I understand you may like Fatty, but this is just an example of many.

yeah there may be a nostalgia factor for some on Fatty. Though I’d still have to go with Fatty, it has a great movement and soaring quality to it that I like.
Yes. There seems to be a level of disdain for this song, amongst fans, which I’ve never understood. Personally, I think it’s ace.

The context of this song partly explains the polarised opinions. At the time it seemed pretty bog standard - nowhere near the sparkling quality of the Bona Drag era singles (from just over 18 months before) and further still from the genius of The Smiths. But looked at nowadays, and given the overall patchiness of the 30 year post-Smiths output, this is actually a pretty decent song which most people would be happy to hear live. Great intro riff!

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed it. Sometimes a pop song is just a pop song. For my money, the jackbooted version on Beethoven Was Deaf has never been bested. The Bob Clearmountain mix makes the guitars growl, bark and bite in all the right measures.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom