Morrissey and his mindset going into these Vegas shows

Erik

Subscriber
Just a curious thought/question, but do you think Morrissey deals with any hard anxiety in these days leading up to concerts that have been anticipated for so long and after such bad press? Or do things like having a security blanket like Alain help him ? Or is he just plain confident and excited ?

I don't think he's bothered at all. He's spent at least a decade getting negative press, and having to do anticipated shows after cancellations etc. I also suspect the only people he listens to are folks like Sam and Dodwell, he tell him everything he does is great and he is better than ever. Water off a duck's back.

I think he would have been pretty anxious going into the 2020 mini-tour because they were his first UK live dates since the fanbase had shrivelled (post his 'For Britain' support) and his name had become more toxic than ever. However, I don't think those things have become any worse since early 2020 so I doubt he'll be any more anxious now. Who knows, maybe he's relishing the prospect of playing live after nearly 18 months of lockdown. It must be a bit odd having Alain back in the band (and no Boz) but hopefully in a good way.

Just a curious thought/question, but do you think Morrissey deals with any hard anxiety in these days leading up to concerts that have been anticipated for so long and after such bad press? Or do things like having a security blanket like Alain help him ? Or is he just plain confident and excited ?
If he has any anxiety about bad press in the past it's probably about the same now. I think he's just used to it.

Yeah, he'll be anxious. He's sensitive to the crowd. He throws hecklers out because he can't concentrate if someone is being hostile.

But then he's probably still drifting in a grief haze, so that'll take the edge off.

And his 90s publicity was actually horrendous in the UK. The NME kept falsely calling him a racist & even implied he was a pervert preying on his male fans.

So he has been here before.

Just a curious thought/question, but do you think Morrissey deals with any hard anxiety in these days leading up to concerts that have been anticipated for so long and after such bad press?

Or do things like having a security blanket like Alain help him ? Or is he just plain confident and excited ?

o_O:lbf:

I don't think he's bothered at all. He's spent at least a decade getting negative press, and having to do anticipated shows after cancellations etc.

I also suspect the only people he listens to are folks like Sam and Dodwell, he tell him everything he does is great and he is better than ever. Water off a duck's back.

:lbf:doh:

It'll be really odd not having Boz there.

This will be the first Morrissey gig without him (or second, if you count Wolverhampton in 1988).

It's great that Alain's back but I do hope Boz's absence isn't permanent.

“On returning
I can't believe this world is still turning
The pressure's on
Because the pleasure hasn't gone
And I'm
Not sorry for
For the things I've done”

:cool:

Probably not bad press... but I'm sure in recent days he might have been concerned about stricter Covid restrictions suddenly impacting the shows (not expecting anything new between now and Sat I would think). None of the shows have sold out, the 1st night looks to be the closest... maybe that would be something on his mind? It doesn't look like there's been much in the way of promotion... I've seen a few social media posts... but that's about it (... maybe it's b/c of not having a record label?).

I'm really looking forward to seeing the setlist.

Go on Morrissey, surprise us. There's all manner of gems you can pluck out of the bag.

I expect he's confident and excited. His music output reflects a strong person. A discouraged person doesn't write the lyrics he's written in the past few albums and Bonfire is more of the same. The band posts are inspired as well. I fully expect him at his best. Many artists are chomping at the bit to play again and it feels that way for Moz and band.

There's not much pressure to sell out the shows when the US is starting up numerous restrictions again.

Yeah, he'll be anxious. He's sensitive to the crowd. He throws hecklers out because he can't concentrate if someone is being hostile.

But then he's probably still drifting in a grief haze, so that'll take the edge off.

And his 90s publicity was actually horrendous in the UK. The NME kept falsely calling him a racist & even implied he was a pervert preying on his male fans.

What’s this about moz praying on his young fans ???
Never heard this sort of thing before Karen ?

New song please

What’s this about moz praying on his young fans ???
Never heard this sort of thing before Karen ?

It's not concrete allegations - it's many snide remarks about his fans touching him & that being his motivation.

For instance, from 1999:

Yet the fact that this…man generates any interest at all this far down the line of lackluster albums and gallingly ambiguous behaviour is a mystery...

The moment he appears onstage though, it’s clear there’s nothing noble here. Morrissey is an adoration junkie, plain and simple.

he clambers onstage to keep the unconditional love pumping through his veins...

The audience are, to put it bluntly, easy...

he feeds off it with guile... kicking off the set with a manipulative ‘You’re Gonna Need Someone On Your Side'.

It's not concrete allegations - it's many snide remarks about his fans touching him & that being his motivation.

For instance, from 1999:

Yet the fact that this…man generates any interest at all this far down the line of lackluster albums and gallingly ambiguous behaviour is a mystery...

The moment he appears onstage though, it’s clear there’s nothing noble here. Morrissey is an adoration junkie, plain and simple.

he clambers onstage to keep the unconditional love pumping through his veins...

The audience are, to put it bluntly, easy...

he feeds off it with guile... kicking off the set with a manipulative ‘You’re Gonna Need Someone On Your Side'.

Have you a link to the last part of your comment. I saw what happened with the first part (Madness gig) but have no recollection of any comments implying he was a pervert preying on young males? - And his 90s publicity was actually horrendous in the UK. The NME kept falsely calling him a racist & even implied he was a pervert preying on his male fans.

"A pervert preying on his male fans", you say ? They should be so lucky...but only in their wildest dreams.

Back
Top Bottom