Morrissey and shyness - "Shrinking Violets" - a BBC4 Extra documentary

Just driven up from down South and on the way listened to this fascinating documentary on shyness. Talks about a lot of interesting historical figures, but also some more modern ones, and their struggle with shyness, including L.S Lowry, George Best, Bobby Charlton and Morrissey. Really good listen. Moz section begins at 49m 38s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07s3jlp

UPDATE 3:15 PM PT:

Related link posted by Bluebirds:

Shrinking Violets by Joe Moran review – how to understand shyness - The Guardian
Is being shy a boon or a burden? Should it be fought against? This sparkling cultural history ranges from Jane Austen to Silicon Valley

Last edited by a moderator:
You really believe you are witty and have witty insults and comebacks, don’t you, you verbose arsebiscuit. You really think that Christmas thing was witty and I should be bothered. Maybe you take yourself a bit too seriously? LOL *heart*

You bang on about your great wit so much you seem to be the one who needs convincing the most.

You pride yourself on “being a gay man in a woman’s body”. Well, you’re not that kind of witty, you’re not that kind of bitchy. I’m afraid you’re just “I’m-a-stupid-c***-me” bitchy.

Look at who your “friends” here are, countthree and Quando Quando Quando. That’s like having the village idiot and the drunk from the bus stop as your best friends.

We don’t want to sit with you.

LOL *heart* <3 <3 <3
haha, you're so angry. :lbf: i would think you would be in a much better mood now that you and your boytoy are together at last. how do you find time to even post here in between all the hot gay sex you must be getting? well, i suppose your lofty new occupation as dispenser of negative ratings must demand some of your time. what can one do....

also, if you think all the negative ratings bother me, they dont. and do you know why? because im an ADULT. i would never allow such things as negative ratings on message boards to have any effect on me whatsoever. click away, my friend:)

You really believe you are witty and have witty insults and comebacks, don’t you, you verbose arsebiscuit. You really think that Christmas thing was witty and I should be bothered. Maybe you take yourself a bit too seriously? LOL *heart*

You bang on about your great wit so much you seem to be the one who needs convincing the most.

You pride yourself on “being a gay man in a woman’s body”. Well, you’re not that kind of witty, you’re not that kind of bitchy. I’m afraid you’re just “I’m-a-stupid-c***-me” bitchy.

Look at who your “friends” here are, countthree and Quando Quando Quando. That’s like having the village idiot and the drunk from the bus stop as your best friends.

We don’t want to sit with you.

LOL *heart* <3 <3 <3
:highfive:

haha, you're so angry. :lbf: i would think you would be in a much better mood now that you and your boytoy are together at last. how do you find time to even post here in between all the hot gay sex you must be getting? well, i suppose your lofty new occupation as dispenser of negative ratings must demand some of your time. what can one do....

also, if you think all the negative ratings bother me, they dont. and do you know why? because im an ADULT. i would never allow such things as negative ratings on message boards to have any effect on me whatsoever. click away, my friend:)

I'm at 14:30 (plenty of time to eat breakfast and browse the usual websites) via Frankfurt and Athens and will arrive in Mykonos tomorrow at 06:10. He'll be flying in from London. I'll meet him there.

Would you like me to post a photo?

PS Sex is a great thing. You should try it some time.

δείτε αργότερα ο φίλος μου! x

I'm at 14:30 (plenty of time to eat breakfast and browse the usual websites) via Frankfurt and Athens and will arrive in Mykonos tomorrow at 06:10. He'll be flying in from London. I'll meet him there.

can i come toooooooooooooooooo? you know that's what i dont like about you... you never invite me to your home in mykonos. ill be honest im a bit sore about that. it may well be destroying our relationship. dont you think i might wanna hang with your gay hottie some time too? :(

:highfive:
Love your posts. Have a good time in Greece.

The podcast isn't available anymore. Does anybody know where to find it or has someone downloaded it and would be so nice to share it?

Something that has helped me ENORMOUSLY in understanding my shyness is the Enneagram personality typing system. Finding out that I'm a type Four, and that type Fours are one of the Withdrawn types gave me such a window of understanding what was going on with me. It's just like Rifke describes above, Withdrawn types do not occupy and dominate the space around them, they barely occupy the full space of their own being. Rather they live in a smaller space inside themselves that they withdraw into, a safe space where they can process their thoughts, feelings or sensory impressions. Morrissey is also a Withdrawn type, a type Four, and such a massively fantastic role model in that he has found a way to honor his shy tendencies, but also has found a way to be out there in public, sharing his music and message with all of us.
YES. I am an enneagram type 5, specifically 5w4 which is a pretty withdrawn type, tending more toward isolationist tendencies. Think more like Bjork, David Byrne or Laurie Anderson type. I can be shy but I'm guarded with or without reserve. I guess I just don't have a high opinion of people.

"Shyness" ha ha ha. I reckon you people still buy that crap. Reckon he's the "King of the Beach" on Malibu and Uncle Steve and Aunt Nancy are the hit of the Calabasas Country Club.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom