Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019 - Folha

Via translate:
Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019.
The album will have twelve tracks and was recorded by the same producer of The Strokes and U2.

João Perassolo
João Paulo Martins
SAO PAUILO
Singer-songwriter Morrissey, a former lead singer of the English band The Smiths , first laid out details of their new album, which will be released in March 2019.

In an interview with Folha , the British said that the album will be called "California Son" and will bring twelve songs written by a collection of American composers.

The album was produced by Joe Chicarelli - who has worked with names like The Strokes, U2 and Elton John - and recorded at the famous Sunset Sound studio in Los Angeles. "Joe brought in a lot of new musicians and we experimented with a lot of sounds. Everything went fantastically well and we are proud, "said the singer.
The album will feature the participation of singer Laura Pergolizzi, better known as LP, in two tracks. She has written songs for Rihanna and Christina Aguilera.

In April of this year, Morrissey announced on its website that it had completed recordings of a new single, also at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles.

It's "Back on the Chain Gang," written by Chrissie Hynde and recorded by The Pretenders in 1982. The song, which has been played live by Morrissey since 2017, is likely to be part of the new album.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/amp/i...disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019.shtml

Also via Bemparana (same story):
https://www.bemparana.com.br/noticia/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019
And Ricmais (same story):
https://ricmais.com.br/sc/noticias/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019

You saw it here first with actual credited sources.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Why, he is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else on here
It's not an opinion on anything most of the time, just crude vulgar name-calling. It serves no purpose and is very unpleasant for anyone who has to scroll through it in order to read other people's posts who contribute something of value.

"Joe brought in a lot of new musicians and we experimented with a lot of sounds"

Do we know if the usual players were used? Boz, Mando, etc?
All the regular band members have contributed to this album and indicated they were at the same studio via social media. Boz left the main session a couple of days early due to a family emergency.
See:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/moz-band-at-work-apparently.142822/
There are a host of threads covering things like the studio, session musicians and instruments, one of the songs being recorded etc if you dig around with the search tool.
Regards,
FWD.

Nice try, but the album title is "California Son" instead of "California Sun", so I guess that Ramones song (cover) won't be on there.
I know, but at least more likely than the only other song out there with the name proper.

I must say I like the title and am looking forward to this. Lots of artists I've followed over the years have recorded covers albums and actually been reinvigorated, almost reinvented by them. Dylan and Cash spring to mind. I wonder if either of them or L Cohen or L Reed may be on the track listing. Unlikely, but you never know.

It's not an opinion on anything most of the time, just crude vulgar name-calling. It serves no purpose and is very unpleasant for anyone who has to scroll through it in order to read other people's posts who contribute something of value.

It’s the same for registered members who have to scroll through shit loads of anonymous troll posts to get to anything remotely interesting.

Nice try, but the album title is "California Son" instead of "California Sun", so I guess that Ramones song (cover) won't be on there.
It's called word play. The man is quite well-known for it. And on that basis I would say there's at least a reason to wonder.

I must say I like the title and am looking forward to this. Lots of artists I've followed over the years have recorded covers albums and actually been reinvigorated, almost reinvented by them. Dylan and Cash spring to mind. I wonder if either of them or L Cohen or L Reed may be on the track listing. Unlikely, but you never know.
The Cash ones were wonderful. And yes, some Cohen would be great.

Wonderful news, Great title!
Hope the tracklist will be made available soon. It Happens Every Time will defo be on there.
On what label will it be released?
BMG? Didn't he sign a 2 record deal with them? I think he did.

We've known it's a covers album for months. I feel like his writing well was getting a bit dry, as @ACTON said this may end up being a good thing all around.
Pity he didn't cover a Suede song like The Wild Ones or Sleeping Pills. I know they are a UK band but that would be amazing.

BMG? Didn't he sign a 2 record deal with them? I think he did.
Yes, I know, but strange that this info hasn’t been revealed by them, which you would expect.

And in the article there is no mention of who releases it where.

I reckon my work is almost done here. When Uncle Steve and Aunt Nancy have the public wedding on Malibu and Uncle Steve admits he was born in the San Fernando Valley and just tagged along with Chrissie Hynde on the trip to Brittin and got lucky with his stepping stone The Smiths, than I will stop posting. Blikey blood reckon can Air Morrissey be any more American and a proud California resident. He will run for governor of California in his 60's.

VU’s European Son is one of his faves, so who knows. Cohen, Dylan certainly not.

So far we have The Pretenders and Tim Buckley, stylistically and era-wise quite far apart which is a good thing.

I expect him to cover mostly 60s and 70s songs, maybe one more recent one, like Smoking Popes.

VU’s European Son is one of his faves, so who knows. Cohen, Dylan certainly not.

So far we have The Pretenders and Tim Buckley, stylistically and era-wise quite far apart which is a good thing.

I expect him to cover mostly 60s and 70s songs, maybe one more recent one, like Smoking Popes.

You are probably right. Though he almost quoted Cohen in Hand in Glove, didn't he?

You are probably right. Though he almost quoted Cohen in Hand in Glove, didn't he?
Yes, Take This Longing.
But he’s never sung LC’s praises, what always has surprised me. Just like Scott Walker for instance.

On the other hand, it took him 30 years to start mentioning Tim Buckley, so who knows.

I reckon my work is almost done here. When Uncle Steve and Aunt Nancy have the public wedding on Malibu and Uncle Steve admits he was born in the San Fernando Valley and just tagged along with Chrissie Hynde on the trip to Brittin and got lucky with his stepping stone The Smiths, than I will stop posting. Blikey blood reckon can Air Morrissey be any more American and a proud California resident. He will run for governor of California in his 60's.

Yes I now accept you have been right all along, Steve was clearly born and raised in LA. Looking forward to him being governor of California. It’s been nice reading your posts over the years and am pleased you have been proven right, been nice knowing you and you can finally retire from this site knowing your work is complete. Adios Aztec.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom