Morrissey at the Rancid concert at the Roxy in LA

An anonymous person posts the link / photo:

From @MozzeriansATW / Twitter:

#Morrissey & the boys at tonight's @Rancid show @theroxy #westhollywood #LA photo courtesy of Jr. Bernal.

rancid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it more about the process and how much he would enjoy it at his age and not really the respect the money would offer or the status he would get from being on a major. the common person here if poled couldnt tell you which was a major and which was an inide if you read them off a list made up of both. he also wouldnt like to be used as he likes control so making something for a label in a deal he would see as unfair to him is also probably a factor. i doubt it about the profits since he could just profit in so many other obvious ways and is already very wealthy (id like to see him combine both his love of writing and film by writing screen play based on his life. id watch that)

Yeah, I'd watch that film to. But, who knows what's in store. It's the life of a music fan I guess. Always wanting more.

Unfortunately Morrissey hasn't had a kind word to say about Suede since his falling out with Brett Anderson (some 20 years ago). On the subject of Suede, I really wish they would tour the US again :(

My GOD, is this true? July 8th in Annopolous Md, ?

https://www.songkick.com/artists/389710-suede

- - - Updated - - -

rancid put out a lot of there records on warners or some other major i believe as that was was the times so i dont know about diy or anything. even labels like phat and epitaph were fairly larger than a diy label by the mid nineties. the jerry connection, he did there major label debut, is where he probably first came into contact but who knows many artists with unrelated music often meet and see each other in various ways. jerry was great of course and is on many a punk rock or connected to punk rock albums such as jawbreakers major (thats a piece of american punk rock majr label history right there by itself) as well as the suicide machines bad religion and pennywise. of course did many a pop punk album as well with green day mxpx blink 182 but people i think forget or dont know he has also worked with many a straight pop act which might have influenced mozs choice such as the goo goo dolls a boy named goo, that horrible band ash, weezer, fastball ( a one hit wonder but still very popular at the time) and the very underrated indie rock band that dog, marvelous three which is funny since walker went on to be such a big name producer himself, super drag, the living end, the smoking popes etc. jerrys a legend and its a well deserved mantle

Amen to the Jawbreaker praise. Such a good band....

last show was gilman may 1989. rancid formed in 1991 with lars joining later in 1993 but does not sing on there debut or feature. after op ivy broke up they fromed downfall which nofx frontman is described to have liked in the liner notes of there split release (phat), then generator and then the dance hall crashers though they didnt stay and finally rancid in 1991. lars didnt want to play as he went to the uk subs but came on board for lets go there second album.

video of there last show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83-AK7tpe5k

one of my all time favorite bands. jesse micheals lyrics are amazing and he is for sure one of my heros

Totally agree. Loved the Gilman shows.. Op Ivy, Jawbreaker, Crimpshrine, Green Day, Fifteen, Pinhead Gunpowder etc...

- - - Updated - - -

Why all these comparisons with Green Day? Isn't Green Day corporate, fake, sell-out music--homogenized for the masses? I understand they deliberately stole material(s) from a rather unknown band called Stiff Little Fingers--? Someone help. Peace, and thanks.

They started at 924 Gilman street in Berkley Ca when they were 16...

the comparisons to greenday likely come from them both coming from the same scene and billie joe co writting the song radio with is on rancids lets go. greenday signed to a major while rancid stayed with epitaph but epitaph also signed a distribution deal with a major so its not that clean cut. they both had popular songs on the radio and both made videos which was considered by the east bay crowd, which also included afi for that matter, and the gilman crowd to be a big big no no. the they , tim and billie joe, have been friends since the op ivy days when green day was young. jesse micheals, the singer of op ivy who liked billie joe also had to say that as much as he liked the band, or at least the guys, in those days it was pretty clear to everyone that musically billie was always a rock and roll musician and would some day leave the scene. op ivy was about politics first and music a close second while greenday was always about the music first and politics second which admittedly not really in conflict in those days. that said for a corporate punk band billie joe has been pretty great. he was on the rock against bush comp when bands like good charlotte wouldnt appear for fear of hurting sales, they released american idot when some indie punk bands still sang about girls and beer, they toured and sold there first couple of albums out of a van themselves selling like 80000 copies, he didnt date a bajillion stupid girls and instead married his long time girlfriend etc. guess what im saying is that for a corporate punk band, at least in the american sense since like most english punk bands like the pistols and the clash (who like i said earlier tim worships) were all on majors with the clash playing msg. to sum up yes greenday are a corporate punk band but they came from a real punk rock scene and maintained a good bit of that while rancid who stayed more pure arent exactly as pure as some might think they are by traditional quote unquote punk rock standards. both excellent bands and tim aside all excellent people. i love lars to death and his first solo album with the bastards is fantastic

Jeff Ott from Crimpshrine and Fifteen is probably the biggest Berkley activest I have ever met. Being homeless at 14 and working through addiction and abuse. Now a nurse and doing well. He was big in the Gilman street project...

My GOD, is this true? July 8th in Annopolous Md, ?

https://www.songkick.com/artists/389710-suede

- - - Updated - - -

Amen to the Jawbreaker praise. Such a good band....

dear you was good, 24 hour revenge was much better, jets to brazil was pretty dull and god help him these days. as to suede playing ramshead, well itd be very strange them playing there versus 9:30 the black cat or rock and roll hotel, one of my fav venues where ive seen the veils patrick wolf on the nylon tour and local h once and soon to be once again very soon, in dc or even rams head live in baltimore where i currently live or the even the otto bar (where ive seen a bajillion great bands like the thermals animal collective etc. spotted john gentle there once but didnt have the guts to go up to him and tell him how mad cut he is lol). i lived on the doc in annapolis md for about five years after college above my wifes family ice cram store and worked at city wraps on the doc which we owned before we sold it to sophies crepes when we were done school (or at least when i was done my schooling as rachel is only now finishing her third degree from her third school giant sigh. im pretty grateful to her father for hepling us all out with employment and making our lives pretty easy) and its a pretty small venue in a small city full of stuffy people so im guessing no. also judging by the fact that they are legally required to be the london suede here that its the female singer suede as thats more her crowd and she lives very near by or at least used to. ive met her and shes very nice to be honest though i didnt mention that im a huge fan of the band that tried to sue her though ive never met them, the london suede. bernard and ben did play there or at least the town though. i would imagine you know this already though i could be all wrong. if they do come well then the ice creams on me

I'm not trying to be a deliberate belligerent ghoul but do you think Suede would go down well in the US? The first half of the concert is them singing the new album from behind a semi-transparent screen. The second half is greatest hits with the screen removed. Would that be acceptable outside Europe? Maybe it would and I'm living in the past and I'm creating prejudices and stereotypes that don't exist.

They should go very well anywhere in the world, especially in USA. But you have to see if they are willing to leave Europe.

dear you was good, 24 hour revenge was much better, jets to brazil was pretty dull and god help him these days. as to suede playing ramshead, well itd be very strange them playing there versus 9:30 the black cat or rock and roll hotel, one of my fav venues where ive seen the veils patrick wolf on the nylon tour and local h once and soon to be once again very soon, in dc or even rams head live in baltimore where i currently live or the even the otto bar (where ive seen a bajillion great bands like the thermals animal collective etc. spotted john gentle there once but didnt have the guts to go up to him and tell him how mad cut he is lol). i lived on the doc in annapolis md for about five years after college above my wifes family ice cram store and worked at city wraps on the doc which we owned before we sold it to sophies crepes when we were done school (or at least when i was done my schooling as rachel is only now finishing her third degree from her third school giant sigh. im pretty grateful to her father for hepling us all out with employment and making our lives pretty easy) and its a pretty small venue in a small city full of stuffy people so im guessing no. also judging by the fact that they are legally required to be the london suede here that its the female singer suede as thats more her crowd and she lives very near by or at least used to. ive met her and shes very nice to be honest though i didnt mention that im a huge fan of the band that tried to sue her though ive never met them, the london suede. bernard and ben did play there or at least the town though. i would imagine you know this already though i could be all wrong. if they do come well then the ice creams on me

24 Hour was great, Bivouac is my favorite. Dear You was a great time in my life, I loved that record and played it non stop. As for Jets To Brazil, I liked Orange Rhyming Dictionary best Perfecting Loneliness second, the Four Cornered Night was kinda stale. God I hope it is not that awful lounge singer Suede women.. But watching Blake from Jawbreaker sing his heart out live at Vino's in Little Rock playing "In Sadding Around" in 1993. The emotion in his voice and look in his eyes lets you know that she is there. before the song he says, " This is a song about a girl who ruined my world, it's called In Sadding Around. It's for Little Rock. This was the local shows I looked forward too... This is 1st generation "emo music"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V86CQVV0wio

Last edited:
well it would probably go down fine as i cant imagine what about that set up would be an issue but really they dont have to play the set or show the same if they came here. theyd do fine if they did a mini tour in on the coasts to set the mood, ie itd take a second for people to hear the news etc, and create a presence and then did an extended tour the next year or even later in the same year. what about what you described would be an issue as im at a loss to what you mean.

i agree pretty much with everything you said darby, crash is also one of my all time heros, but screeching weasel is hard for me to take these days with ben becoming so untolerable in my eyes so i take the old records with a grain of salt these days though they still get get to me like a teen in heat. agree that pinhead gunpowder is pretty awesome as its like greenday never moved on from kerplunk or dookie which is a ok in my book. landlords, cold floors, knockin kniockin at our door, should we let em in... op ivy is still my fav though as jesses lyrics were like no other. the crowd and gonna find you, i love em

Hahaha... You are are first one to get my Draby name.... TOTALLY agree with the Ben Weasel chocking and smacking a girl, but man those Gilman days were fun. Not the smacking people... Were you there? Do you, or anyone remember Potato?

Hahaha... You are are first one to get my Draby name.... TOTALLY agree with the Ben Weasel chocking and smacking a girl, but man those Gilman days were fun. Not the smacking people... Were you there? Do you, or anyone remember Potato?
These are my Gilman/Germs punk tattoos..

Homeade by Jeff 91..

What we do is secret
Lorna Germs burn from 1980..

Attachments

• IMG_20160422_020833_267.jpg
    IMG_20160422_020833_267.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20160422_020153_252.jpg
    IMG_20160422_020153_252.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20160422_020228_437.jpg
    IMG_20160422_020228_437.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20160422_020245_193.jpg
    IMG_20160422_020245_193.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
These are my Gilman/Germs punk tattoos..

Homeade by Jeff 91..

What we do is secret
Lorna Germs burn from 1980..

lol i have a circle burn given by someone who also has a circle burn but i love the tattoo and thats my favorite grems song. no i wasnt there as i was to young and live on the east coast so i didnt get to see the gilman in its glory days only the post greenday popularity days. i almost called you john paul to test/play with you (in a friendly way). cool that you did get to see it though as im envious. i did get to see a lot of now famous basement shows in new brunswick and in other places in jersey before they shut us all down. lifetimes got a song about them as do a few other bands and seeing early thursday play a basement was pretty cool. thats really my only claim to seeing cool emo hardcore punk rock shows when they were in awesome spots though i did see anti flag play to me and two other people before they were ever on cnn or anything but thats a band that divides a lot of people. also saw one man army whom i liked at there first couple of shows around here which was pretty cool. other than those i would only get taken to hippie bands like the grateful dead as my parents were dead heads and sorta obscure blues and jazz stuff as my father was a big fan. we still go to shows together though which i think is nice. we just saw bela fleck play not long ago whos an amazing banjo player who does traditional stuff as well as some spacey sorta psych banjo playing if you could call it that. i guess billies other outlet these days or greendays other outlet these days was the network which was funny for a moment. must have left an impression on masked intruder lol. ive been to the rams head many times to eat and i would very much doubt that it would be the london suede playing there as its super tiny and has a restaurant attached. when my wife was attending georgetown for her second degree i did go around to see the minor threat ian henery spots in dc to check out some of the local hardcore history which was fun

24 Hour was great, Bivouac is my favorite. Dear You was a great time in my life, I loved that record and played it non stop. As for Jets To Brazil, I liked Orange Rhyming Dictionary best Perfecting Loneliness second, the Four Cornered Night was kinda stale. God I hope it is not that awful lounge singer Suede women.. But watching Blake from Jawbreaker sing his heart out live at Vino's in Little Rock playing "In Sadding Around" in 1993. The emotion in his voice and look in his eyes lets you know that she is there. before the song he says, " This is a song about a girl who ruined my world, it's called In Sadding Around. It's for Little Rock. This was the local shows I looked forward too... This is 1st generation "emo music"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V86CQVV0wio

you gonna see any of the reuinions going on. mineral, the american football shows, braids fest shows etc. for sure of a poppier note but the wonder years are killing it in the emo pop indie rock genre lately as are modern baseball and other band s like tigers jaw. weve got a really sweet scene budding here with the early nineties emo alt rock resurgence around pihilly to boston. the wonder years even mention a sub philly basement in the song some out swinging

lol i have a circle burn given by someone who also has a circle burn but i love the tattoo and thats my favorite grems song. no i wasnt there as i was to young and live on the east coast so i didnt get to see the gilman in its glory days only the post greenday popularity days. i almost called you john paul to test/play with you (in a friendly way). cool that you did get to see it though as im envious. i did get to see a lot of now famous basement shows in new brunswick and in other places in jersey before they shut us all down. lifetimes got a song about them as do a few other bands and seeing early thursday play a basement was pretty cool. thats really my only claim to seeing cool emo hardcore punk rock shows when they were in awesome spots though i did see anti flag play to me and two other people before they were ever on cnn or anything but thats a band that divides a lot of people. also saw one man army whom i liked at there first couple of shows around here which was pretty cool. other than those i would only get taken to hippie bands like the grateful dead as my parents were dead heads and sorta obscure blues and jazz stuff as my father was a big fan. we still go to shows together though which i think is nice. we just saw bela fleck play not long ago whos an amazing banjo player who does traditional stuff as well as some spacey sorta psych banjo playing if you could call it that. i guess billies other outlet these days or greendays other outlet these days was the network which was funny for a moment. must have left an impression on masked intruder lol. ive been to the rams head many times to eat and i would very much doubt that it would be the london suede playing there as its super tiny and has a restaurant attached. when my wife was attending georgetown for her second degree i did go around to see the minor threat ian henery spots in dc to check out some of the local hardcore history which was fun

I would of got the John / Paul thing instantly.. Haha
What We DO Is Secret is my favorite Germs song EVER.. Lyrics and all. But The Germs wern't allowed at Gilman so we would have to go to the Whisky to see them, with The Dammed..
I was born in Berkley 1974 and grew up at Gilman. It was all us kids had at the time. No drinking/drugs etc.. but they were always there.
Cool someone who had a circle burn gave you one. Then, we moved to the east coast in 96 when Jawbreakers Dear You came out. Of course they were called sell outs, but I love that record. When they played Gilman in 95 they were booed for playing Dear You songs..
Then the Midwest Emo scene broke out from hell and I loved it. Get Up Kids, Mineral, and yes, Saves The Day from Jersey. I LOVED them. They played my town twice on the Can't Slow Down tour.. and once on Through Being Cool. I loved going to the Jersey Basement shows. Thursday. Hey do you by chance know a band Paulson?

- - - Updated - - -

you gonna see any of the reuinions going on. mineral, the american football shows, braids fest shows etc. for sure of a poppier note but the wonder years are killing it in the emo pop indie rock genre lately as are modern baseball and other band s like tigers jaw. weve got a really sweet scene budding here with the early nineties emo alt rock resurgence around pihilly to boston. the wonder years even mention a sub philly basement in the song some out swinging
As for the reunion shows, I have seen Mineral, Knapsack, American Football and Christie Front Drive. 2nd generation Emo. and LOVED them ALL
I just wish Jawbreaker would reunite and tour...

I would of got the John / Paul thing instantly.. Haha
What We DO Is Secret is my favorite Germs song EVER.. Lyrics and all. But The Germs wern't allowed at Gilman so we would have to go to the Whisky to see them, with The Dammed..
I was born in Berkley 1974 and grew up at Gilman. It was all us kids had at the time. No drinking/drugs etc.. but they were always there.
Cool someone who had a circle burn gave you one. Then, we moved to the east coast in 96 when Jawbreakers Dear You came out. Of course they were called sell outs, but I love that record. When they played Gilman in 95 they were booed for playing Dear You songs..
Then the Midwest Emo scene broke out from hell and I loved it. Get Up Kids, Mineral, and yes, Saves The Day from Jersey. I LOVED them. They played my town twice on the Can't Slow Down tour.. and once on Through Being Cool. I loved going to the Jersey Basement shows. Thursday. Hey do you by chance know a band Paulson?

- - - Updated - - -

As for the reunion shows, I have seen Mineral, Knapsack, American Football and Christie Front Drive. 2nd generation Emo. and LOVED them ALL
I just wish Jawbreaker would reunite and tour...

Cool. Darby died the the year I was born and they of course did the one spot with the damned with peanut butter and All that. I would only get a circle burn from someone who I know for a fact was there which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Paulson sounds familiar but it could just be false recall. Awesome that you've seen those bands though as I really love mineral and parking lot as well as knapsack. I missed out on american footballs album the first go around which is musically great with all of the phasing but I like he cap n jazz and knapsack plus sunny days first album braids fram and canvas drive like jehus second and saves the days can't slow down plus lifetime get up kids ten min from downtown which I sing all the time. I wish all and the descendants would actually release the albums they already have in the can but Steve said he doesn't know of it'll happen. Have you seen some of Blake's solo shows lately cause hes a mess singing and reading lyrics from a piece of paper drunk as hell. It was sad. Back to Darby I always thought the story of him meeting john lydon, another of the johns, was pretty revealing about the differences between american hardcore, joke intended, and first wave British punk. I think him and the weirdos went if I remember correctly

Oh and I posted something for you in the what are you listening to thread. You may already know of it though

Cool. Darby died the the year I was born and they of course did the one spot with the damned with peanut butter and All that. I would only get a circle burn from someone who I know for a fact was there which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Paulson sounds familiar but it could just be false recall. Awesome that you've seen those bands though as I really love mineral and parking lot as well as knapsack. I missed out on american footballs album the first go around which is musically great with all of the phasing but I like he cap n jazz and knapsack plus sunny days first album braids fram and canvas drive like jehus second and saves the days can't slow down plus lifetime get up kids ten min from downtown which I sing all the time. I wish all and the descendants would actually release the albums they already have in the can but Steve said he doesn't know of it'll happen. Have you seen some of Blake's solo shows lately cause hes a mess singing and reading lyrics from a piece of paper drunk as hell. It was sad. Back to Darby I always thought the story of him meeting john lydon, another of the johns, was pretty revealing about the differences between american hardcore, joke intended, and first wave British punk. I think him and the weirdos went if I remember correctly
Paulson played alot of basement shows in Jersey with Thursday, which I love.. Check this song out, it might jog a memory. Those Jersey basement shows were a while ago...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZYBMGMO6dU
You are right. It was The Germs and The Weirdios... As much as I love Moz and The Smiths, I will ALWAYS have Gilman, 1st and 2nd gen "emo" in my heart. That was what I grew up with.. I am 43 now. There will never be music like we have seen again.. I talked with Blair from Knapsack, he is writing music with Sergie, so hopefully new Knapsack material will come from it. Also, Blair is writing music Bob Penn from Jealous Sound. But it will be a new project....Yeah, Blake and those solo shows. Train wreck.. But I will ALWAYS LOVE Jawbreaker... But I will leave you with my favorite Pinhead Gunpowder song..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9wDAGiXCI

Last edited:
Paulson played alot of basement shows in Jersey with Thursday, which I love.. Check this song out, it might jog a memory. Those Jersey basement shows were a while ago...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZYBMGMO6dU
You are right. It was The Germs and The Weirdios... As much as I love Moz and The Smiths, I will ALWAYS have Gilman, 1st and 2nd gen "emo" in my heart. That was what I grew up with.. I am 43 now. There will never be music like we have seen again.. I talked with Blair from Knapsack, he is writing music with Sergie, so hopefully new Knapsack material will come from it. Also, Blair is writing music Bob Penn from Jealous Sound. But it will be a new project....Yeah, Blake and those solo shows. Train wreck.. But I will ALWAYS LOVE Jawbreaker... But I will leave you with my favorite Pinhead Gunpowder song..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9wDAGiXCI

ill check it out but youve probably been to many more of those basement shows than i it would seem. ive always lived in maryland and im 35 and driving from maryland can get old and was expensive for us at the time but those were some of my first shows first getting into music of my own choosing. got into pop punk and met a friend at the wal mart i worked at at the time who introduced me to other stuff like nofx, there wasnt a lot of outlets to hear any music of any kind where i grew up, and took me to my first warped tour before the vibe changed as it does. i think that was around 96/97. from there i met other people from the region, along with jade from afi when they were still pretty small (if you wouldve told me theyd one day release a very successful major label release i wouldnt have believed you) who honestly was a dick and they said i should come to shows where they lived. im good at meeting people as im pretty forward and open to what people have to say and show (i wanna see it all). yeah i think i read about that darby weirdos meeting john lydon at one of his pil shows in the book we got the neutron bomb as they along with the screamers who i wasnt as big a fan of were some of the first la hardcore bands (they of course cover the germs sex boy being made up of gay members when the germs were just getting started). awesome about seeing billie joe in 91 as i wouldnt get to see them until the pop disaster tour with blink and saves the day which was still fun but ya know both head liners were releasing albums pst the days i wouldve liked to have seen them though saves the day were sorta peaking in popularity at the time with stay what you are i think. sound the alarm is my fav from them i think though the lifetime copy of cant slow down the early emo pop of through being cool and pure pop of stay what you are with at your funeral is all very close to my heart. still extremely envious of your experience and memories of having a place like that as by the time i was old enough to go out and see stuff on my own or even know it existed at all it was sorta ending and becoming more mainstream. baltimores got some where i live now most of the time has got some cool punkn bands going with some neat venues but it doesnt feel the same as some of those basement shows even at the tail end of there run and what people like yourself described. lol i did have the expereiende of seeing good charlotte play shows around annapolis before they were ever famous and honestly back then benji, whos super short like myself, wasnt so bad and billy was really cool as we had gothy industrial music in common at the time. never saw them again really after they got famous and they didnt even remember who i was. they couldnt go around annapolis without getting a lot of crap from everyone. that was around the time of there second album and ive never seen them since. oh yeah i did get to see the living end tour there second album at the nine thirty club with american hi fi of all bands opening. they blew my mind with that guitar. anyway ill check out your links and have a good night

I'm not trying to be a deliberate belligerent ghoul but do you think Suede would go down well in the US? The first half of the concert is them singing the new album from behind a semi-transparent screen. The second half is greatest hits with the screen removed. Would that be acceptable outside Europe? Maybe it would and I'm living in the past and I'm creating prejudices and stereotypes that don't exist.

I'm late to respond to this. Well, I think it would in the larger markets (LA, SF, NY, Chicago and a few others). However, it's difficult to say since Suede haven't done a proper tour here since 1997. I understand that it's expensive to tour here and they were never massively popular in the US. Having said that, I was very disappointed that they did not at least play a few additional shows when they played Coachella in 2011.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom