Morrissey Central: Blue Rondo A La Turk

BLUE RONDO A LA TURK - Morrissey Central
July 8, 2019

full

"I liked them because they seemed two jumps ahead of everyone else. The mere sight of them suggested big league, but they didn't quite get that far. They were one of the very few groups that the Smiths supported, but there was a scepticism about them being just 'club models' … who asked and got. This was said also about very early Roxy Music … who appeared to be quite affluent before they'd even had a hit. With Blue Rondo, again, you suspected that they were given all of their fantastic suits for free whilst the rest of us had to dream of being able to buy SOMETHING that didn't look TOO abysmal. The main electric spark was their dancing which was very virile and athletic … and even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene they seemed like supermale prizefighters or nightclub heavies … deep-chested vocals, narrow-hipped, and very much a man's, man's, man's, man's world. I don't think a sudden tussle would trouble them in the least. But their songs were not about the curves of seductive women - or even about women … as if women might even lack some essential excitement. It's a safe bet that they couldn't stand the Smiths … me singing about not even a glimmer of adventure sex. But that was 1982 or, for me, 1947. Their companion Robert Elms described me as "Ena Sharples". I was actually flattered because Violet Carson, I thought, was extremely funny. You know how comedians or comic actors think that if they show lots of teeth people will think they're saying something hilarious … when of course they aren't? Well, Violet Carson kept her teeth well hidden. Maybe she had none? How did I get from Blue Rondo a la Turk to Violet Carson?
Oh. Well, Blue Rondo were a London band … which was obvious to us because they actually had shoes. I don't think their songs were as good as ours, but our shoes weren't as good as theirs, so, there we are.
They quickly went away and didn't return. I don't know if it's even possible to find their music anymore, but it certainly wouldn't hurt the ear. I think some of Blue Rondo were from the West Indies whereas of course all of the Smiths were born at the Manchester Scabies & Gripe Maternity Hospital."

Morrissey 7 July 2019, talking to himself (for … what choice?)

* sorry, I have no idea who took the above photograph.

Amusing musings from Moz about the first Smiths-support act.

Note posted by an anonymous person:

Actually, it was the other way around. The Smiths supported them. It was their first live show ever on 4 October 1982 at the Ritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
What can Morrissey do? If he talks about other things he's accused of changing the subject, if he carries on he's accused of pursuing the same tired narrative.

What he can do is retract his support for uber toxic, right-wing For Bigots, retract his idiotic statement about people preferring their own race, and generally stop acting like an ignorant, offensive twat. Enough for now?

What can Morrissey do? If he talks about other things he's accused of changing the subject, if he carries on he's accused of pursuing the same tired narrative.

Morrissey could take part in a proper interview. In this interview he could ....

retract his support for alt-right individuals/organisations
express his regret for the statements he has made in regard to race and islam
provide his support to the Animal Welfare Party
denounce all of those who attempt to spread racism in his name
thank his fans for their continued support through what must have been difficult times for them

It's just a thought.

I probably have far too much time on my hands. Usually the Blue Rondo a la Turk (Band) Wikipedia page gets fewer than fifty hits a day. On 27/5/19 it had 274. What's going on??!!

Attachments

• Blue Rondo.jpg
    Blue Rondo.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
Morrissey could take part in a proper interview. In this interview he could ....

express his regret for the statements he has made in regard to race and
thank his fans for their continued support through what must have been difficult times for them

It's just a thought.

When has that ever worked? The Left isn't known for accepting apologies.

I wonder if part of the subtext here is to remind people that he is the person who was lead singer of the Smiths. There's a disconnect in many people's mind I think and perhaps he feels that the Smiths and their legacy are being taken away from him a little. I mean, the lyrics and the imagery and indeed the entire meaning of the Smiths came from him. Anyway, an ongoing series of these amusing Smiths-period anecdotes would be a move in the right direction, I think.

It's just a thought.

Actually, I don't disagree, but I doubt it would happen. I feel he's out of touch with the world of social media and how it works. Basically if he got a good PR person on board, they would no doubt advise him to do something very similar.

He's so much more interesting than Billy Bragg. I would love to sit and chat with Morrissey about music.

It's just a thought.

This is a very sound, reasonable PR plan - unfortunately, the contrarian that he is, he's probably incapable of following through on it.

This is a very sound, reasonable PR plan - unfortunately, the contrarian that he is, he's probably incapable of following through on it.
Not incapable, but unwilling. Why compromise his art?
Not sorry for, For the things I've done

Not incapable, but unwilling. Why compromise his art?
Not sorry for, For the things I've done

OK, unwilling and therefore incapable. This hasn't got to do with his art. Unless you're saying his PR is some sort of performance art? Like Andy Kaufman?

Ah, now there's a blast from the past. I remember my sister playing their debut album in her bedroom - I must have been about 11 or 12 at the time and was starting to get interested in the music my older sister was playing, 'cause we all want to grow up when we're that age. Blue Rondo had a bit of a 'New Romantic' feel about them - nice clothes, nice shoes, and nice hair cuts. Their music was a strange combination of pop and salsa - some of them went on to form Matt Bianco. My sister was never a big fan of the Smiths - but I do remember she loved Soft Cell around that time. Their first album Non-stop Erotic Cabaret - was an eye-opener for any 11 or 12 year old boy, and still one of my favourites.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom