Morrissey features in Radio Times

SEMISORRY

There is an article in the latest edition of the Radio Times( 1-7 May)-It is written by Mark Ellen form ‘Word’ magazine to promote a new BBC2 programme this Saturday: ‘I’m in a Rock ‘n’ Roll band’ . The programme ‘examines the constituent parts of the ultimate rock band- this week it’s the lead singer-culminating in a live show next month where industry experts discuss their favourite musicians and create the ultimate fantasy band’
There is a rather nice drawing of our Moz in his Smiths days, and when choosing his favourite singer, Ellen writes: ‘it’s probably just easier to go straight for the greatest living rock n roll matinee idol on the planet. The people’s poet. The effortless dispenser of philosophical maxims and deathless bons mots. He of the cantilevered hair. The funniest, sharpest, most mercurial man of the moment. Morrissey.’
Unfortunately I do not know if Morrissey will be featured on the programme-but it looks promising.

Also, on Monday 3/5/10 on Radio 2 at 8pm they review the programme, and this is followed by ’The record producers’ at 10pm, focusing on Stephen Street. It mentions Strangeways and Viva Hate and that Marr will contribute and: ‘Morrissey was, predictably unavailable for comment, though there’s a chance to hear some previously unaired demos by the inscrutable star’.
Could be interesting.

Now THIS could be interesting. Audacity and live feed at the ready...

Many thanks for the heads-up.

Peter

P.S - more here - this is going to be VERY interesting.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if there are "unheard" demo's they would be the ones that leaked already. Having said that, I'm hopefull it will be new leaks!

I can count on someone to record and post this?

Everybody should just calm down. I suspect that the demos will be little more than the rough instrumental deoms that Street is said to have sent Morrissey in the immediate post Smiths vacuum. It is very likely that there will be no Moz involvement at all, can you really see Morrissey allowing working demos of his songs to be aired?

Pic from Radio Times here. Missing from the left, due to the limitations of a two-page spread (and the crease), is Sting; but you get Lady Gaga, Morrissey, Keith Moon and Prince.

1zco468.jpg

Peter

I wouldn't be surprised if there are "unheard" demo's they would be the ones that leaked already. Having said that, I'm hopefull it will be new leaks!

Actually, I was thinking of the Viva Hate demos with Moz. I wonder if these will be the demos he recorded and then sent over to Moz to see if they could collaborate. That would be great.

Awww, 10 seconds of Morrissey footage was featured. :)

Around 23 minutes Johnny's short interview!!

Last edited:
I forgot there was this separate thread for the 'I'm In a Rock N Roll Band' program.

Just posted a few screen shots on the frink thread instead...

Hold on...something might have changed here...

The original blurb on the BBC link (see the front page) said this...

"Featuring interviews with former Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr, Blur's Graham Coxon and Kaiser Chiefs' Ricky Wilson; the programme also has exclusive access to multitrack recordings of the Blur hits Girls & Boys and Parklife; and the first play of Stephen Street's rare songwriting demos for Morrissey."

Now, the blurb on the BBC Link says this...

"Featuring interviews with former Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr, Blur's Graham Coxon and Kaiser Chiefs' Ricky Wilson; the programme also has exclusive access to multitrack recordings of the Blur hits Girls & Boys and Parklife."

No mention of the demos. What do you make of that?

Peter

Re: Hold on...something might have changed here...

The original blurb on the BBC link (see the front page) said this...

"Featuring interviews with former Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr, Blur's Graham Coxon and Kaiser Chiefs' Ricky Wilson; the programme also has exclusive access to multitrack recordings of the Blur hits Girls & Boys and Parklife; and the first play of Stephen Street's rare songwriting demos for Morrissey."

Now, the blurb on the BBC Link says this...

"Featuring interviews with former Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr, Blur's Graham Coxon and Kaiser Chiefs' Ricky Wilson; the programme also has exclusive access to multitrack recordings of the Blur hits Girls & Boys and Parklife."

No mention of the demos. What do you make of that?

Peter

An anonymous person posted the following link in mainpage:
http://www.stephenstreet.net/diary.asp

1 May 2010 BBC Radio 2- The Record Producers

BBC Radio 2- The Record Producers
Hi All

Just to say that the BBC Radio program featuring myself will be broadcast on Radio 2 at 10 pm on 3rd May 2010 and will also be featured on BBC 6 Music the following Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s7mc1

It was intended to play a 20 second segment of an out take demo that I recorded with Morrissey in the program but Friday afternoon (30th April) both the BBC and myself received a letter from Morrissey's solicitors threatening an immediate injunction preventing any broadcast unless the material was removed.

Apparently their client (Morrissey) was 'horrified that the proposed material would be broadcast'. I can not understand this way of thinking at all. Throughout the program I am extremely in full praise of Morrissey and the demo was intended to show that even when he was singing on a 4 track cassette he still sounded great! I didn't think it would do any harm to play a small segment but it has, at this very late stage been removed. I would also like to say that I've seen mention of some Viva Hate demos being available on the internet. How they got there, god only knows! I have certainly never distributed any out take recordings or demos on the 'net and I'd be interested to know who did?!

The producer of the program, Steve Levine, has told me that throughout all the other episodes including artists such as Paul MacCartney, Holland, Dozier, Holland (Motown), Bruce Springsteen and Phil Collins, rough demos have been played with their blessing and this is the first time they have been threatened with an injunction.

Very sad indeed. :(

Last edited:
Re: Hold on...something might have changed here...

I like that it means he's out there paying attention. :)

Back
Top Bottom