Morrissey - has his light finally gone out? by Andrew Harrison (The Guardian / Shortcuts blog)

I think if he drags on much longer, he will turn into (if he hasn't sort of already) the sort of washed up, old artist that he once claimed to dislike so much.

Let's face it: we already know deep inside this has already happened. He's just clinging on, like we are, just because we perversely love it all.

I'm gonna try and be concise-- I think Morrissey should quit making music and touring from now on. He's been so successful in most of his endeavors as a solo artist, but everything must come to an end at one point or another. I think if he drags on much longer, he will turn into (if he hasn't sort of already) the sort of washed up, old artist that he once claimed to dislike so much. He should leave the music world with people saying they miss him and want him to come back (much like the Smiths)-- not with people saying that he should've done it years ago.

But anyways, I'm not saying that he should just quit EVERYTHING-- he's still got that autobiography right? And I'm sure he could do something else literature-related(or something else-- like Animal rights related or whatever the hell) if he really wanted to.... there's still so many things he could do even if he retired from making music. He really shouldn't keep trying to drag on like this. I don't know. This is just my two-cents.

As concur....kinda....

"If not, there remains one option that would bring modern England's greatest voice back to a mass audience. Somewhere, surely, Morrissey still has Johnny Marr's phone number."

Why not ???

I thought Morrissey's last album was top notch and the last time I saw him live in Brixton he was still in fine voice so I don't see what all the fuss is about. You'll miss him when he's gone so stop being so mean-spirited. Thank you!

"The Guardian" is a disgrace to journalism

It proves that it dosent take alot of talent to be a journalist. All they do is look for any opportunity to trash him.

- - - Updated - - -

"If not, there remains one option that would bring modern England's greatest voice back to a mass audience. Somewhere, surely, Morrissey still has Johnny Marr's phone number."

Why not ???

Because he dosent WANT to!

I'm gonna try and be concise-- I think Morrissey should quit making music and touring from now on. He's been so successful in most of his endeavors as a solo artist, but everything must come to an end at one point or another. I think if he drags on much longer, he will turn into (if he hasn't sort of already) the sort of washed up, old artist that he once claimed to dislike so much. He should leave the music world with people saying they miss him and want him to come back (much like the Smiths)-- not with people saying that he should've done it years ago.

But anyways, I'm not saying that he should just quit EVERYTHING-- he's still got that autobiography right? And I'm sure he could do something else literature-related(or something else-- like Animal rights related or whatever the hell) if he really wanted to.... there's still so many things he could do even if he retired from making music. He really shouldn't keep trying to drag on like this. I don't know. This is just my two-cents.

Its a good two-cents. I actually agee. He should relax and focus on other endeavors. He still has alot to offer.

I'm really finding some of these comments unbelievable. I saw him twice in October and he was brilliant. He was enthusiastic and gave his all. I think the setlist picture from S.America indicated he was bringing "new" life into the shows. I agree he needs to get some affairs in order, but his place continues to be on stage.

I'm really finding some of these comments unbelievable. I saw him twice in October and he was brilliant. He was enthusiastic and gave his all. I think the setlist picture from S.America indicated he was bringing "new" life into the shows. I agree he needs to get some affairs in order, but his place continues to be on stage.

Don't get me wrong. Morrissey belongs on stage and I was looking forward to seeing him again. But I'll take anything at this point, his movie, his book, whatever he is willing to give I'll support him. This "Has his light gone out" article is bullshit. Morrissey will shine forever.

It's been years since I've seen him in concert, but the three times I saw him in the '90s were all wildly different in quality, even from one night to the next. I saw him give a brilliant show one night in Chicago, followed by a half hour ending with a walk off mid song the next night, so I'm not surprised to see health and other issues still plaguing him. My most recent attempts to see him in Texas ended with not one but two cancellations.

He obviously needs to rethink how he approaches things. Personally, I wish he'd focus more on recording music and a little less on touring, as it seems like he simply doesn't have the stamina for it these days. At least not at the pace he's been attempting.

Don't get me wrong. Morrissey belongs on stage and I was looking forward to seeing him again. But I'll take anything at this point, his movie, his book, whatever he is willing to give I'll support him. This "Has his light gone out" article is bullshit. Morrissey will shine forever.

I would like to see morrissey sing and make music until he is dead in a ditch, but me will do what ever he wants which is why we love him. He doesnt live for anyone else.

From the article: Then there was the refusal to contemplate that his current band and songwriting partnerships might have run their course. A Morrissey song of 2009 sounds much like one from 1997,

Really? I think a song from 2009 doesn't even sound as good as 1997. I haven't heard anything as strong as Maladjusted (song) and Alma Matters in recent years. I'm surprised that someone so pridefully independent as Morrissey consistently rejects the idea of self-releasing an album. But anyway, what's the point of a self-release if it's just going to be the same lackluster material?

IMHO, if Morrissey releases any new music something needs to drastically change. New writing partners at least? If he won't call Johnny, can he bury the hatchet with Stephen Street? How about a special project with Noel Gallagher as some suggested after the Instagram pic?

"the live rendition of Johnny Marr's delicate This Charming Man that opened many Morrissey shows in recent years was criminally hamfisted and crude".

Amen To That!

As far as Moz's future, just get a new band and new writing partners and start from there. I feel confident that if he did that, he'd have a very successful revival. Throw out everything he has around him now and start anew. I bet it could be an incredibly successful (and very exciting) thing.

nothing like a pint in the long hall on a balmy summer evening , oh these things happen and happen and happen....

Andrew Harrison is a real piece of work. He's interviewed Moz in the past, and is certainly very nice to his face. But when it comes to reviews: I recall many hatchet pieces of this type by him down the years in Q magazine amongst others, he has repeatedly made it clear he can't stand most of Moz's solo work repeatedly. Fair enough, but its very annoying indeed when someone invokes faux 'concern' at an artist's 'decline' when the fact is they didn't actually like them in the first place. And this particular article is an especially dreary and cliched hatchet job by numbers.

Re:

I hope you are right, celibate. His silence, so far, on the royal baby might point to some realisation in him that he should concentrate on what he does best.

Maybe he is paying attention to what his fans are saying? A little humility creeping in?

Watch out for Diana conspiracy theory guy, he's busy adding that Morrissey predicted future king's name (Certain People I Know). :eek:

I would like to see morrissey sing and make music until he is dead in a ditch, but me will do what ever he wants which is why we love him. He doesnt live for anyone else.

I really hope he is never found "dead in a ditch" somewhere. That would mean he was murdered and that would suck.

Remember: Tim Jonze is in charge of the music section on The Guardian website.

Yes - the light HAS gone out. For now. The last few posts on TTY made me sick because they were so silly. Hey Moz, stop quoting your own lyrics ("Oh black cloud" - oh please, will you just shut up?). If the inspiration to write great songs is not there right now, fine. When it comes back and it can & should, then get writing and then come back & perform. Otherwise, stop producing this useless drek that has been your MO for the last 3 years +.

The idea of a Smiths reformation is just silly. It should not ever happen and for me if Moz were to go down that fetid path, my respect for him would diminish greatly. I think SPM still has a lot to offer, but he needs to step back, write some great songs (which clearly he has the capability of doing) and hit the road when fans have been waiting for a good, long while to see him.

There was an interview in September 2000 (also with the Guardian) where he said something to the effect of he "doesn't phone it in". Well, since after 2009, that's all he's done. Can you blame the promoters for being reluctant to have him perform? The man takes ill frequently and cancels, the shows of late (what few there have been) offer up nothing new and exciting. From a purely business perspective Morrissey today is a liability, not an asset. The one not phoning it in is Kristeen Young. She's actually writing and producing something. You may not like her, but at least she's not "phoning it in". She's doing her job which clearly is the exact opposite of what SPM is doing right now.

He's got it in him to make another fine return. I believe that 100%. But if the inspiration isn't there today to write good songs, he needs to stay home until he finds it. He's got it in him to create an entirely new fan base and enhance the already existing one if he produces a quality product.

I don't know if a new band is the answer. Maybe dump everybody except BB. Boz knows what he's doing; he always has. If I were Moz, I'd shut up about the royal family (who cares really), Margaret Thatcher (she's dead), shut up about EVERYTHING. Shut up and go away until you have something to say. It will come in due course, I'm convinced it can.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom