Morrissey interview in Estadão - WPINOYB re-issue, new album to be recorded; confirms California Son

Morrissey was interviewed for Estado de São Paulo and told about a re-issue of WPINOYB and a new album to be recorded in january.

Morrissey, antigo líder do grupo The Smiths, volta a São Paulo com novo álbum - Estadão
Inglês de 59 anos se apresenta com sua banda em São Paulo, dia 2 de dezembro, no Espaço das Américas
Pedro Antunes, O Estado de S.Paulo
31 Outubro 2018 | 06h00

Translation added by Famous when dead:

It doesn't read that well with translate, but this is what emerges:

"More on account of his own language than his heart, Steven Patrick Morrissey has become a subject of another time. Just like a veteran of a war that ended - or was. As a leader and lyricist for The Smiths, a short-lived Manchester band in England, but an important legacy for the heartbroken post-punk because of the four albums released between 1984 and 1987, he came to be seen as a lord of controversial political opinions, harshness with the press, troublemaker with record labels and with a special ability to cancel tours.
They are, therefore, two Moz in one, if it is possible to divide it in this way. The artistic side continues to tingle, on his solo walk, with records released at a commendable frequency for a 59-year-old musician (celebrating his 60th birthday in May 2019). The other, the character created around the artist, has caused a headache for decades - and is worsening with the statements of Morrissey, who lives headlining the English press and recently clashed with the English mayor Sadiq Khan, Muslim, and defended Brexit, among other controversies.

But, well, it is the artistic momentum that brings him back to Brazil for two presentations. The first takes place in Rio de Janeiro, on November 30, at Fundição Progresso. He and band, formed by Jesse Tobias (guitar), Gustavo Manzur (keyboard), Mando Lopez (bass), Boz Boorer (guitar), Matthew Ira Walker (drums), are going to São Paulo, in the concert to be held on space in the Americas. There are still tickets for both performances.

The latest album, Low In High School, released last November, celebrates his agreement with BMG. "It's a great moment for me (musically)," Morrissey explains to the State via e-mail - English has preferred to conduct his interviews in writing after so many problems with the press, especially the British. "I am accustomed to the discrediting of the English press," he wrote, commenting on the criticism he received about List of The Lost, which came out three years ago. "A newspaper devoted a whole page to crying so people would not buy the book!" He recalls. "They (the English press) will criticize me in my obituary for not having had the education of having died before."

But this is past, apparently. With the new label, Moz is full of plans and happy in life. In the interview, he revealed that he has already recorded a new album, California Son, "a collection of songs by other artists sung by me", again produced by his former partner Joe Chicarelli, who also worked with The Strokes and U2. One of the songs already known is Back on the Chain Gang, classic of The Pretenders, band of Chrissie Hynde.

He announced that he will return to the studio in January to start recording a new album, the 12th solo career that began after the Smiths' demise. And finally, in the last good welcome back written by an excited Morrissey is the fact that the 2014 World Peace Is None of Your Business album will be reissued and reissued by the new label. That's because the album came out on Capitol, but a fight between Moz and the label's executives took away the catalog album - it's not in streaming services either.

"This time, (the album) is going to have a huge promotion worldwide. I can not explain how proud I am of this job, "Morrissey wrote. "It sounds absurd, but the previous record company (the Los Angeles Capital) did not have the guts to show it to the world, so they released the album and ran away," he concludes."In the end, everything ended well!"

Morrissey is proud of his solo work - as well as that performed alongside the Smiths, a band that included also the vocalist Moz Johnny Marr (guitar), Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums). "How do you compare your new child to the previous one?" He writes, as he is asked about the importance of Low in High School in his discography. "Who can answer such a question? I feel very blessed. Because of You Are The Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors (2006), Years of Refusal (2009) and World Peace Is Not Your Business I can face the world with my head held high. " In response, curiously, English did not mention the six solo albums released before 2004, such as the critically acclaimed Viva Hate (1988) and Vauxhll and I (1994). If someone does not feel that way about their music,

The State, in 2015, in the last passage through Brazil, as it has done for years, rejected any idea of a meeting of the Smiths. "(Meet with the band) is as unimaginable as assuming that I would join Led Zeppelin," he quipped at the time - the question was actually grounded in the news that the group had been nominated as one of the possible new members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which usually brings together members of the bands, even those already finished decades ago.

But the years have calmed Moz. At the time of the previous interview, a charged cloud circulated the musician.His disc was out of print, he had fought a cancer and claimed to have lost wires from the famous tuft in the treatment. His book was picked up from the press and he was still haunted by the suspicion of a new tour cancellation due to logistical or health issues.

Time has so amassed the Englishman that he is able to value his old band, a group that presented to the world Moz's melancholy, desperate and poetic verses, like "to die beside him is a divine way of dying", from the song There Is a Light That Never Goes Out. In each show, however, it's one or two songs from Smiths entering the repertoire. In the most recent presentation, held in Mexico in March this year, for example, the only one chosen was How Soon Is Now ?. In contrast, there were 6 tracks from the recent Low in High School.

Still, it's good to read Morrissey, always so full of ghosts and self-created people, to be proud of the past he lived. "There was no other group like ours," he says, equally proud and sharp. "So we were alone and we were weird. We could not get space on American television channels and we could not run on English radios. Still, we appear very well. "As if it were possible to see him with a stuffy chest and chin up, Morrissey writes:" No modern band is as radical an experience as ours. " And continues: "Every second in the Smiths' career was a record. I was warned every day about it: 'you can not say something like that,' they said. But I did. "And keep talking, stop good or bad."

Last edited by a moderator:
World Peace Is None Of Your Business is a brilliant album. For me it's the best album that Morrissey has put out. So as Morrissey is going to reissue it, I think he should put out a five disc version. The original deluxe album, plus live versions of every track and a dvd of those tracks played live. Now that would be a fantastic reissue. The album deserves that kind of treatment.

I don't mean to be a negative ninny but I can't see how any amount of advertising or promotion could make World Peace a big seller. Fans already bought it. I'm not buying it again. Errrr.... unless it comes out on reasonably priced vinyl :oops:

I don't mean to be a negative ninny but I can't see how any amount of advertising or promotion could make World Peace a big seller. Fans already bought it. I'm not buying it again. Errrr.... unless it comes out on reasonably priced vinyl :oops:

It would be good to have it back on the streaming sites. As for shifting more physical copies…..not sure.

The lefties loved Moz's lyrics during the era of The Smiths and then when he grows older and wiser and changes his opinion which is what life and living does to us they all spat out the dummy and cried about it. This confirms everything I knew about lefties in general.

Only the truly poor are dumb enough to carry around a lot of cash. Plastic is brains and manners and more. But by all means stock up on cash for doomsday but be sure to keep it in a fire proof safe.
The germs on those notes could call mankind off in seconds. By touching them you are exposed to more cocaine than Escobar ever enjoyed.

I am still trying to get over the fact he turned himself into a karaoke artist just in time for xmas. I can see him getting booked by several cruise ships playing in some english named pub all on his own looking like a fat american troubadoure without anyone knowing who he is.

"Sing house of the rising sun ya twat"

Moz: "mmm hmmmm what?"

Not sure what you mean by 'fans' exactly but in the UK there's up to 500,000 people who will buy what they consider to be an excellent Morrissey album (judged by the singles they hear on the radio, if they are played at all, and the reviews).
World Peace is the only Morrissey album not to have had an A-listed single in the UK since the 1990s. It's no coincidence that it's also the worst seller, selling even fewer than Low in High School (even in its first week i.e. when it was still readily available) despite generally glowing reviews.
Morrissey has a core fan-base of around just 20,000 people when it comes to buying a new album, but this can stretch into the hundreds of thousands if singles get heard and liked. The old Smiths fans then buy it as they did Quarry and, to a lesser extent, ROTT. But no songs were played on the radio off World Peace and many people (beyond the obsessives who follow websites like this one) were not aware of its existence.
Staircase is arguably his catchiest song since the 1990s. If that was released and got A-listed, the album would sell many more than it did the first time round when it was effectively still-born.

The interview is in portuguese (brasil).As i am portuguese i can say he says the album california son is already recorded and he will return to studio in january to record the 12º albun of his career.So i think it's an album with originals songs.Also world peace will be reissue with a different label.
amazing

World Peace Is None Of Your Business is a brilliant album. For me it's the best album that Morrissey has put out. So as Morrissey is going to reissue it, I think he should put out a five disc version. The original deluxe album, plus live versions of every track and a dvd of those tracks played live. Now that would be a fantastic reissue. The album deserves that kind of treatment.

I agree.

Hi MFKers,... Morrissey begins a new chapter today in CA, so f*** the Non Believers, f*** Skinneh, f*** Dave Haslameh, f*** the MFKin lot of em, Whoopee:bow:

I thought the same thing ... who would be the intended audience for a WPINOYB rerelease? The people who already bought it? Morrissey probably believes that he was robbed of a potential massive seller because of what happened with Harvest Records... but regardless that ship has sailed. It would look directionless and muddled to try to promote a 4-year-old album over current and upcoming releases.

Last edited:
Istanbul is a more than beautifull song, I hope for a good PR for WPINOYB, a deluxe no, maybe changing some songs and add new, is that a deluxe? but the album deserves more apreciation, and sales

This is great news. WPINOYB is a great Moz album and deserves to be widely available again. It was a much superior album to LIHS. But I'm excited that a new studio album is in the offing too. Love or loathe some of his political views - Moz is always interesting and vibrant. There is no one else like him.

But why would you give a four-year-old album a 'huge promotion worldwide' - especially when you have two new ones in the pipeline?

The only promotional thing I can think of is a real single played on radio stations and a professional video clip accompanying it. Something similar to "Spend the day in bed". If I remember well, the deal with Harvest blew up over their refusal to give him a budget to make a video for Istanbul.

Can't see him do another world tour in support of the re-issued WPINOYB though.
It reminds me of when Stiff records released all of their stable's albums on the same day, thus diluting the attention each would receive.

Think of it in the same way many people practice religion. It's all about identifying with the ritual; not the expectation that it will result in anything substantial. Nominal.

Not sure what you mean by 'fans' exactly but in the UK there's up to 500,000 people who will buy what they consider to be an excellent Morrissey album (judged by the singles they hear on the radio, if they are played at all, and the reviews).
World Peace is the only Morrissey album not to have had an A-listed single in the UK since the 1990s. It's no coincidence that it's also the worst seller, selling even fewer than Low in High School (even in its first week i.e. when it was still readily available) despite generally glowing reviews.
Morrissey has a core fan-base of around just 20,000 people when it comes to buying a new album, but this can stretch into the hundreds of thousands if singles get heard and liked. The old Smiths fans then buy it as they did Quarry and, to a lesser extent, ROTT. But no songs were played on the radio off World Peace and many people (beyond the obsessives who follow websites like this one) were not aware of its existence.
Staircase is arguably his catchiest song since the 1990s. If that was released and got A-listed, the album would sell many more than it did the first time round when it was effectively still-born.
You know, a little objectivity goes a long way. So 500,000 people will buy it, even though his core fan base is only 20,000?

Perhaps the reason no single was A-listed was because they simply weren't commercially appealing - or good - enough. The title track and Earth, in particular, were bizarre choices for singles. The spoken word videos were embarrassing - particularly since his lyrics, by that time, simply didn't stand up to the exposure. Likewise KMAL, which had the added handicap of Sam's video handiwork. None of them are radio-friendly or commercially viable and it's not surprising they bombed.

We don't know why Harvest didn't promote it more actively, but it is possible that - rather than sales stalling because it wasn't promoted - it wasn't promoted because they calculated there were no extra sales to be had from chucking money at it.

Personally I think it's his worst record and the point at which he really, seriously lost the plot. I get that some people think differently, and even love it, but I'd like to bet there are just as many people who think like me.

Last edited:
You know, a little objectivity goes a long way. So 500,000 people will buy it, even though his core fan base is only 20,000?

Perhaps the reason no single was A-listed was because they simply weren't commercially appealing - or good - enough. The title track and Earth, in particular, were bizarre choices for singles. The spoken word videos were embarrassing - particularly since his lyrics, by that time, simply didn't stand up to the exposure. Likewise KMAL, which had the added handicap of Sam's video handiwork. None of them are radio-friendly or commercially viable and it's not surprising they bombed.

We don't know why Harvest didn't promote it more actively, but it is possible that - rather than sales stalling because it wasn't promoted - it wasn't promoted because they calculated there were no extra sales to be had from chucking money at it.

Personally I think it's his worst record and the point at which he really, seriously lost the plot. I get that some people think differently, and even love it, but I'd like to bet there are just as many people who think like me.

Oh dear - quite a muddled post.
You've mistaken the phrase "in the UK there's up to 500,000 people who will buy what they consider to be an excellent Morrissey album" with "500,000 people will buy a re-released World Peace album." Of course they won't.
Also, maybe you weren't following him at the time but Morrissey formally severed his relationship with Harvest just 2 weeks after World Peace was released. His choice.

Agree partially. Delete "Kick The Bride" ( one of his very worst) and "Neal Cassidy" but keep the others.
"I'm Not a Man" is another shitty "song." If he was in college and submitted a paper in the writing style of "I'm Not a Man" or "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" and then a month later submitted a paper in the style of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" or "I Know It's Over" or "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle," the professor would likely suspect plagiarism because NO WAY the same person could have written so beautifully after such a hamfisted, awkward attempt. It's almost like Morrissey has completely morphed creatively into a less talented person.

Agree partially. Delete "Kick The Bride" ( one of his very worst) and "Neal Cassidy" but keep the others.

Really? Kick The Bride Down The Aisle is a great track. Especially:

Look at that cow (He pauses here. The cow isn't the woman, but an actual cow! :) )
In the field it knows more

As for Neal Cassady, that track is something else. Maybe you don't understand it?

"This tribute to the beat generation of the 1950s starts by Morrissey presenting us with the image of Allen Ginsberg weeping over the corpse of his fellow Beat writer and sometime lover Neal Cassady:

Neal Cassady [drops] dead, and Allen Ginsberg's tears shampoo his beard"
https://www.songfacts.com/facts/morrissey/neal-cassady-drops-dead

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom