Morrissey interview in La Tercera (Chile)

Morrissey: "I'd rather die on stage than on a sofa covered with bread crumbs"

http://www.latercera.com/noticia/en...que-en-un-sofa-cubierto-de-migas-de-pan.shtml

What an interesting read. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Morrissey: "I'd rather die on stage than on a sofa covered with bread crumbs"
The artist talks to The Third of seven shows in Chile and the recent collapse of health that almost knocks him forever.
by Claudio Vergara - 30/06/2013 - 2:23

Neither audiences nor stories of triumph fervent stage or backstage tissues. The biggest memory Steven Patrick Morrissey (54) has his last tour, a scene related to lapidary.

"It was terrible. He had played in January in Ohio, and I was perfect, but the next night at the hotel collapsed. I lost consciousness and when I recovered, it was covered in black blood and did not know what it was. I was taken to a hospital quickly discovered I had an ulcer, Barrett's esophagus, and then all finished in double pneumonia. I spent over four weeks with serum, but I refused a blood transfusion. I managed to do some more shows in the U.S., but when I arrived in Mexico the doctors told me to stop. Not being able to finish the tour was devastating, but doctors warned me: 'A few weeks ago you almost died, and now you say you'll do 18 shows more? Are you trying to kill you? '. In fact, I think that was what I was doing, "reveals the singer at The Third from London, in a conversation dominated by the grace and sarcasm that became central pieces of their songs.

To prevent the collapse culminated in tragedy, the artist decided to cancel 25 dates during the summer in North America, a decision that sparked alarm about his health and opened a broad question about his future on the stage. Until now.

As of July, one of the most revered credits British music back on course solved a South American tour that begins on July 8 in Lima and that between 15 and 26 of the same month, seven dates materialize Chile, with stops in cities such as Concepción and Puerto Montt, and even a free show at Movistar Arena, Local itinerary almost unprecedented for a figure of its size (see box). By the way, your visit to the continent will serve to twist the diagnosis of a group of doctors that spoke of death and suggested he get away for ever from the shows and tours.

How did you feel when you were told that?

I thought they were undercover agents of the British royal family trying to get rid of me. Seriously, I did not worry too much, because eventually all die one day and in my case it would be better to die on stage than on a sofa covered with bread crumbs. Yes, the doctors told me: 'Do you realize that you are dying?'. But it's so abstract to hear you do not know what to do. Furthermore, we are all dying, even when we sleep we are dying slowly, but until that happens, you give everything you have. There will be much time to rest, once we get to the grave.

Have you ever imagined the idea of retirement or take longer pauses?

No, but I have 54 years and I always thought that 54 people would be, very gently, slaughtered and put to sleep, because they make the world look scruffy. I never thought it would last in the music, and I can remember that when I was a kid, 54 years have seemed like having 104. I feel ageless most of the time.

How to return improved the presentations?

I did some tests in London and came out very good. I look a little strange, but I feel great. Also, I encourage countries like Brazil again: it's amazing what's happening there. Everywhere people are waking up, because you're tired of that impose taxes and more taxes. It is as if some governments would like people were always poor. Most political leaders live in 1968 and they are always shocked that the masses have advanced. The money you spend in a World Cup is obscene when you see poverty in Brazil. In contrast, in England people do not protest, because it is too comfy and assume someone else will do it for them. In my country, the government only listens to people when they want their votes and, once they do, people can go to hell.

In Chile, his coming is unusual: sing in cities where Anglo figures do not pass, give small shows advertised as "intimate evenings" and one free for 15 000 people.

I love Chile, even if I'm gonna stand and do nothing, which is what I usually do. So again there is great, and I've never had an 'intimate evening' in my life ... And for any artist is very easy to be only in the larger cities, but the public is in other parts, so that people appreciate when you make an effort to deviate from common routes. Puerto Montt is the end of the world, which fits me perfect. Mind you, I'm going to get on a small plane, so I'll have to walk from Puerto Montt to Santiago. I may fall behind a little ... And as for the free show, I like to go people who otherwise would not. So you may like what they see on stage, you never know, right?

Here, the idolatry of her figure than the artistic and is part of a morality where fans imitate their broomrape and follow their veganism. Why has perpetuated that link?

It's all about rock and pop today has become nothing and the only goal is marketing. Every day in the AOL news page is a insignificant and ridiculous story about Beyoncé just because someone paid to put your face in there. Everything is placement, because artists are not interesting enough to grab the attention of people. Obviously I care more music and people appreciate, especially when the zombies and puppets have taken over all aspects of music.

Your last step for the country was on the Vineyard Festival, an event that embodies all that you despise, with prizes, entertainers TV, etc.. How do you remember?

Yes, it was very strange, but not horribly strange. It would never have the opportunity to do that in the U.S. or England because more official industry can not stand me. They think I'm going to annoy your hospital patients. In contrast, in Chile, the audience is relaxed, playful, healthy, natural, although some media still insists that I attract only people who are miserable and unhappy. My concerts are anything but suicide.

The joke of God

Almost casually, Suedehead man alludes to a historical truth: the more formal recording industry never gave up too. Since 1982, stormed to the front of The Smiths, always preferred to work with an independent label (Rough Trade Records) and his songs enjoyed relative commercial performance, ordeal that became the dissolution of the quartet just five years later, although under a legacy of guitars and lyrics with character and sensibility that stand among the most brilliant and influential of the 80, apart from success recognized by almost everyone, like Ask, How soon is now? and Panic.

Complex Were his musical beginnings in the 80s?

When I started this, I felt as if God had made a joke, because I had a hard time relating to people, I could not do it with anything or anyone. I felt like a science experiment that could fail at any time.

What aspirations had to form a band?

I had no aspirations. I was numb and in shock most of the time. I could not believe that people eat animals and only heard about inconsistencies. Not that I feel superior, but thought that the human race was something disgusting. Even today, watch the news means the lowest point of each of my days. But hey, most of my experiences in the 80's detail in my autobiography, coming soon to bookstores. The find in Psychiatry and Mental Health section.

If you always hated the fame, what was to become known, involved in an environment governed by ego and become a celebrity?

To this day it remains difficult to deal with all that. I have an audience, but what I have is my integrity. The music business I do not celebrate, because they do not understand someone that is not manufactured. And I'm not a celebrity. That's a word tragic. Being a celebrity is like being a jester or clown.

His appearance in the music matches the term of Margaret Thatcher. What sense had with his recent death?

Thatcher was always a disaster. For example, I know his story with Pinochet. Like all dictators, police also made against people of their own country, but always with a smile on his face. Do not know why some political leaders think they have the right to throw tear gas people. When she died, the press tried to turn it into a saint, but soon gave up when they realized that people do not believe it for a minute. David Cameron immediately dropped in the polls, so I quickly stopped mentioning it. It came out the backfire.

One of the most associated with his figure is animal advocacy. How do you control what is sold at concerts?

No recital I do unless it is confirmed through a contract, it is agreed that it will not sell any kind of animal flesh.

In March, even managed that for the first time in its history, the Staples Center in Los Angeles sell only vegetarian food.

Yes, some went on to say that tonight Staples was not 100% vegetarian, but that is false. It happens that some people have their private boxes and apparently admitted his own dead cow in secret, but it is something that we have to avoid. We could not conduct inquiries looking slices of pork belly all over the place. The fact is that everything sold was free from animal flesh, so that if someone else is encouraged to do so, it would be just as historic.

Very glad Morrissey is on the mend and playing gigs in South America. Waking up with black blood on yourself is a horrific image, yet he still tried to soldier on. And really, dying on stage would be better than on the sofa (or in front of the computer at a shit job -- as most of the complainers here are probably sat).

"Enjoy life. It's all we've got."

He could have insisted on a coconut milk transfusion. It's supposed to be a very good plasma substitute. All you do is take a hammer and a nail and knock three little holes in the top. You only need a local anaesthetic for that, I believe.

Not sure how you get it out of the coconut though.

Tubing plus gravity... :lbf:

dope_100305_coconuts.gif

0cf5c1e4e27711e2952122000a1fbf2e_7.jpg

Morrissey arrived in Peru. How will he survive over a month without watching the drama and revelry of Big Brother 15 three nights a week? Poor guy. :p

I got this on AYNIM. I think they got it on tumblr.

Last edited:
Must. Steal. Sorry.

Hey Crystal, no doubt you've spotted the crossed fingers?

I didn't notice that. His finger legs are so demure. Like a lady. :horny:

thanks for translating this good intervieuw, it gives more vision about the USA tour.

I'm very happy to read I get a free copy of His biography [whenever it will come out, or even ever will be published]
I , as you all know, have psycholic abberarion as for work, and mutlitple disorders and have gotten about all colours of pills, that will be enough for a free copy, as written, in the article

Ready, steady , go....South America tour

Last edited:
thanks for translating this good intervieuw, it gives more vision about the USA tour.

I'm very happy to read I get a free copy of His biography [whenever it will come out, or even ever will be published]
I , as you all know, have psycholic abberarion as for work, and mutlitple disorders and have gotten about all colours of pills, that will be enough for a free copy, as written, in the article

Ready, steady , go....South America tour

Beautiful realised. I find these words have in me caused movement, celibate.

The Mozfather has landed!

Fashion gurus? What type of shades are those? Police brand?

0cf5c1e4e27711e2952122000a1fbf2e_7.jpg

Morrissey arrived in Peru. How will he survive over a month without watching the drama and revelry of Big Brother 15 three nights a week? Poor guy. :p

I got this on AYNIM. I think they got it on tumblr.

how did you feel when you were told that?

'i thought they were undercover agents of the british royal family trying to get rid of me.'

feck off you silly man england is not yours and it does not owe you a living ! What a prick !

We'll let you know

run forrest run!!

'Most part of a lover's life is full of agony, anxiety, fear, and grief, complaints,sighs,suspicions,and cares (heigh-ho my heart is woe) full of silence and irksome solitariness.' Now I see, I love you eternally, forgive me please. x

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom