Morrissey intoxicated?

If you don't believe it, find a download for the show on Dec. 12 1999!
From Passionsjustlikemine: "Morrissey was in an incredibly playful mood. He talked constantly between songs, made funny lyric changes that he had never done before and was so high that he sometimes distractedly forgot his words and sang something else or just mumbled."

I guess he wasn't drunk, but he was certainly on something!

It's a fantastic show! ...Though he replaces most of the words to Tomorrow with "I've got testicles".
No lie.

That certainly sounds interesting!

Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

He's a vegetarian which means he should be mostly healthy. I am sure he eats extremely healthy and has a proper diet. So what are the reasons to his poor health? I understand he is growing older and his voice might be a bit tired but what about other artists his age.

Discuss

I'm sure it's all-but on record that Morrissey's diet is extremely unhealthy. Seem to remember him once saying that most of his diet was crisps, chocolate or anything white.

It's pretty obvious to anyone with functioning eyes that he is either suffering from exhaustion or he has been sipping the mid-miditerrean-cruise like it's going out of fashion. With his new showbiz mates like Johnathan and Russell and Stella.

He could've been drunk, from where I sat he just didn't seem happy to be there. For example the last two songs. He didn't sing the second set of howling parts of I'm OK By Myself and instead walked off in what looked like disgust. If he was "disgusted" with his own voice and frustrated that he couldn't sing, do you think he'd return to the stage in a new shirt and sing a half hearted FOTG and then at the very end take his shirt off and toss it with disdain at the pit? That's what I saw but I could be pegging his mood wrong because I was watching the whole thing behind two people sucking face and not even listening to the music. Afterwards, soaking wet and freezing from the long walk in the rain, my friend and I waited huddled together at the pick up area for our ride. Stading next to us was a Mexican boy alone.I asked him what he thought of the show and he said he had poor English and didn't understand. THen my friend asked in broken Spanish and he said that his impression of Morrissey was this: "Grrrrrrrrr." He went on to say he'd only been in America for 15 days and was waiting for his cousin to pick him up, that he came to the show alone and loves Morrissey. He saw him in Mexico City apparently and thought the show was great, 2 hours. Tonight's show? "Grrrrrrrrr." So don't discount "emotional testimony," maybe Morrissey was drunk, maybe he did have some voice problems but it was easy to tell that he wasn't pleased about something.

Last edited:
He didn't seem intoxicated in the slightest. Not even a little bit. He was just angry with himself. He was very stressed over not being able to sing some lines. Then he was so stressed that he forgot some lyrics and that stressed him even more. I felt bad for him. Stupid throat! It angers me that anyone would say that about him. Saying a professional singer was drunk on stage is quite the accusation. He was extremely lucid, focused, and determined to give us a full show. I was pleased with him. I hope he's drinking lots of tea for Ventura tonight, then I hope he'll take enough time off that his throat gets good and strong again.

Orly?

Actually, there was an interesting post on the Main page from mjparker.

He/she thinks that perhaps that Morrissey was having sound problems. So, while everyone thought Moz was having a "senior" moment forgetting his own lyrics and perhaps "slurring" from the ol' grey goose, may in fact have stopped singing because he couldn't hear himself!

He doesn't wear an ear monitor.

I can see that being part of the problem as well, but I'm pretty sure voice issues were involved too. He definitely had some hoarse moments and avoided high notes. Also, when he has sound problems he tends to focus his anger outwards, but I could see that he was upset with himself. He was very inwardly focused last night.

If you don't believe it, find a download for the show on Dec. 12 1999!
From Passionsjustlikemine: "Morrissey was in an incredibly playful mood. He talked constantly between songs, made funny lyric changes that he had never done before and was so high that he sometimes distractedly forgot his words and sang something else or just mumbled."

I guess he wasn't drunk, but he was certainly on something!

It's a fantastic show! ...Though he replaces most of the words to Tomorrow with "I've got testicles".
No lie.

Morrissey high?
Where can I see this?

He didn't seem intoxicated in the slightest. Not even a little bit. He was just angry with himself. He was very stressed over not being able to sing some lines. Then he was so stressed that he forgot some lyrics and that stressed him even more. I felt bad for him. Stupid throat! It angers me that anyone would say that about him. Saying a professional singer was drunk on stage is quite the accusation. He was extremely lucid, focused, and determined to give us a full show. I was pleased with him. I hope he's drinking lots of tea for Ventura tonight, then I hope he'll take enough time off that his throat gets good and strong again.

It must be awful forgetting lyrics.

Poor Mozzy, my Heart goes out to him :(

Ever since I heard that recording I haven't been able to listen to Tomorrow without singing the testicle version of it in my head.

Did anyone notice that pretty much everyone concluded that George Lopez was terrible and awful and horrible and then Morrissey announced himself as being George Lopez? I wonder if that was outwardly or inwardly directed self deprecation? :confused:

At age 50, you either start rebelling against middle age or start visiting garden centres.
Its like being a teenager all over again.
If Moz is drinking, which I doubt (and if he is so what) at least I hope it is keeping him away from Dobbies.

Morrissey was either ill (again) or intoxicated (???) . His singing was off, there was lots of slurring, or skipping lyrics altogether, and he seemed out of focus and - to be honest - going through the motions. I am sure other in the audience who've seen him felt like me, uncomfortable and concerned, when he did these things.

Which show are you talking about?

Which show are you talking about?

The show last night at the Gibson in LA. Here's a sample:

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/67-8OBJhqpk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/67-8OBJhqpk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I'm not sure which billboards MOrrissey saw on Sunset that would lead him to conclude that, "naturally" the world is full of crashing bores of which he is one, but this is the billboard I saw on the way to the venue last night:

law_abiding_citizen_posters.jpg

Back
Top Bottom