Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
A white supremacist bomb has not gone off in the UK for 30 years.

Multiple Islamist ones have killed dozens and dozens in the last few years alone.

You argument is not just weak, but non-existent. Go back to school.

Your argument here seems to be 'well done white supremacists'.

You seem to have all the "facts' at your fingertips. Pity then that these 'facts' like all 'facts' you spout are on a par with Johnson truths.

He singled out the Chinese because he'd seen a documentary on animal abuse in China the day before the interview. It was fresh in his mind. We don't know if the documentary was about eating dogs or not, but China does have a record of low animal welfare in general.

"But my point was that M wasn't making a big statement on race then. He was being hyperbolic."
Agreed.
China has a record of low female welfare also and this is reflected in the disparate number of males to females out of their 1.4 billion population, due to their policy of female infanticide pre and post partum.
One Child nation , a documentary from earlier this year would give a very strong impression that some are not even human, never mind a subspecies.
Watch it if you have the stomach and immediately after , say the first word that you truthfully think describes these people.

there should be a moderator who sees where a thread is descending into politics and all posts should be moved to a section in the forums section marked politics.for anyone who hasn't noticed this is a music site,not that many people on here care anymore.

Not every Muslim is a terrorist, but every terrorist has been a Muslim...more often than not.

This sentence, like all racists, contradicts itself "every terrorist" and "more often than not". Which is it?

It's neither but why let that spoil your illiterate and ill informed view.

there should be a moderator who sees where a thread is descending into politics and all posts should be moved to a section in the forums section marked politics.for anyone who hasn't noticed this is a music site,not that many people on here care anymore.

This is a racist fan site It stopped being about music a long time ago.

Retard, "White" Christian males founded the country . Not only are they not the threat, Christians don't go around shooting up places in the name of Jesus
No, they just murder the native population and put the remainder on reservations and indoctrinate them into "Christian values".

Retard, "White" Christian males founded the country . Not only are they not the threat, Christians don't go around shooting up places in the name of Jesus

How dumb are you?

"Christians don't go around shooting up places in the name of Jesus".

Read a book. Watch TV. Scour the internet and then please take your head out of your arse.

Look, if racists want to spend their spare time making money for a Chinese guy who doesn't mind racism by posting propaganda into a void and the only person who really suffers is Morrissey, where's the harm?

This sentence, like all racists, contradicts itself "every terrorist" and "more often than not". Which is it?

It's neither but why let that spoil your illiterate and ill informed view.
I'm sure it depends if one is being 'politically correct' or not, I can't say. Appeal to a softer stance or use statistics. Doing both is difficult. Take your pick.

No, they just murder the native population and put the remainder on reservations and indoctrinate them into "Christian values".

Christ's gospel doesn't promote war and slaughter. The Indians were having no problem slaughtering each other before England showed up. Can't change the past, but here and now Christians certainly out slaughtering for Jesus in America

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

Morrissey - says a long line of bigoted, racist things
Fan - 'Well, that's what artists do"

Me - f*** you, f*** Morrissey, f*** racism.

And yet, you remain. You’re not giving any new information to anyone, nor helping anyone interpret the information that’s already there. If you hate the man so much, why are you here? In every single post, no less? For all your commentary and insult flinging at those who don’t hold your same opinions, why do you refuse to answer the question that’s been asked multiple times by multiple people: if you hate Morrissey so very much, why do you spend so much time and energy in these forums? Come on already, stop being elusive and answer the question.

I second this

Actually you'll find there were three white supremacist nail bomb explosions in London in two weeks in April 1999 - not 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_London_nail_bombings

And since you weren't there, you don't know what happened. You probably only read about some glorious hero saving you from The Great Gay Replacement on Shitebart.

You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. It's quite a shame for you, really. You really think the only form of terrorism that counts are bombs? How unimaginative of you.

I was in that pub 2 weeks before it happened. Wondered in there pissed, celebrating the end of my Uni days. Hadn't realized it was a gay pub. The women killed worked at my local bingo hall. Sad.

moneychangeseverthing is Skinny. when asked he refused to condemn Islam. Skinny and his aliasas wont ever under any circumstances condemn Islam, as they have Islamic souls.
If this is true, the deception is referred to as 'taqiya' either way. Check it out.

Actually you'll find there were three white supremacist nail bomb explosions in London in two weeks in April 1999 - not 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_London_nail_bombings

And since you weren't there, you don't know what happened. You probably only read about some glorious hero saving you from The Great Gay Replacement on Shitebart.

You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. It's quite a shame for you, really. You really think the only form of terrorism that counts are bombs? How unimaginative of you.
If 30 years has to change to 20 years due to my error it still doesn't weaken my argument. There have been dozens of deadly Islamic bombs and attacks in recent years in Britain - some with extremely high death tolls.

And in all the years since the tube and bus bombing in 2005 where 52 died there has not been one single white supremacist bombing.

You just can't bear to talk disparagingly about Muslims as they sit at the top of the liberal-left's victimhood list. Therefore they must never be criticized - just like blacks and gays. All their faults must be excused and blamed on whitey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom