Morrissey's letter to The Times

Someone might be pointed out the article then Morrissey decided to write a letter.

true but as i said doesn't he have a better platform than the letters page of the times in which to respond? - just because the original article appeared in the times doesn't limit his options - why stoop to the letter pages of the rupert murd(er)och right wing press?

Last edited:
anyone else doubting this is Morrissey?
does he read "the times"? - why enter into this debate in the letters page of the right wing press, doesn't he have a better forum, for example the stage or a song? - has he ever even done an interview for "the times"?
I find it hard to imagine him writing the words "I welcome ann widdecombe’s views......."
Does he really think stella mccartney is visionary? - is the production of faux fur suddenly thanks to her? - this letter seems very muddled.
Also the letter reads in part like an appeal to the queens better nature (does she have one?? since when?) - why would the sight of a bear skin "jab at the queen’s heart" when she loves to hunt and covers herself in fur robes - it makes no sense.

Am i the only one saying hoax?

No, I don't think he wrote it.

It's not quite right, I think he would write less awkwardly. And if he did write to the Times (or anywhere else) he would pour over it for ages agonising over every word.

'Different people differently' and 'The world is speeding up, and in order to assist humankind to advance' seem a bit off to me. Plus some of the punctuation seems a bit weird - although not necassarily wrong.

'The brain speculates, but the heart knows' sounds like someone trying to imitate Morrissey.

But then I don't know the guy so I could well be talking complete bollocks...

Last edited:
WTF? Morrissey writing letters to the Times?

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Any chance of a scan/ typo. Unfortunately you have to pay for the privilege of accessing their website now. And I'm not lining Rupert Murdoch's pockets.

^^^^^^ this - i hope the letter isn't real - i understand the sentiment but sending a letter to the times that starts "i welcome the views of ann widdecombe..." refers to stella mccartney as a "visionary" and appeals to the queens better nature does not sit well with me at all.

some intresting point about Ann Widdecombe taken from her Wiki:

she is a supporter of "traditional family values"
she is an anti-abortion campaigner
she believe in a zero tolerance policy of prosecution for users of cannabis
she opposed the repeal of section 28 of the local government act, which banned the promotion of homosexuality by local governments.
she is a practising roman catholic, who converted in 1993 after leaving the church of England in protest at the ordination of female priests
she defended the Government's policy to shackle pregnant women with handcuffs and chains when in hospital giving birth

Woohoo! 6! An almost perfect score!

All she's missing is the National Front bit! She only has to meet that other animal-loving lady Morrissey likes, Brigitte Bardot , and together it's the Grand Slam! :highfive:

Morrissey should invite them both for tea. Imagine how well they'd all get on and what lovely conversations they'd have.

No, I don't think he wrote it.

It's not quite right, I think he would write less awkwardly. And if he did write to the Times (or anywhere else) he would pour over it for ages agonising over every word.

'Different people differently' and 'The world is speeding up, and in order to assist humankind to advance' seem a bit off to me. Plus some of the punctuation seems a bit weird - although not necassarily wrong.

'The brain speculates, but the heart knows' sounds like someone trying to imitate Morrissey.

But then I don't know the guy so I could well be talking complete bollocks...

""The brain speculates, but the heart knows" sounds like someone trying to imitate Morrissey." - absolutely

Yeah, but smilier, how the hell do we know what Morrissey reads? He probably reads a few!

Woohoo! 6! An almost perfect score!

All she's missing is the National Front bit! She only has to meet that other animal-loving lady Morrissey likes, Brigitte Bardot , and together it's the Grand Slam! :highfive:

Morrissey should invite them both for tea. Imagine how well they'd all get on and what lovely conversations they'd have.

ONe of the most unintentionally funny programmes of the last 10 years:

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000087881/Ann-Widdecombe-Versus

Ann Widdecombe steps into frontline Britain to tackle the pressing issues of today in a brand new three part series: Ann Widdecombe versus…

She emerged relatively unscathed from a brush with hoodies for her headline-grabbing report into anti-social behaviour for Tonight With Trevor McDonald, and in programme one of her new series the Conservative MP trains her sights on the sex trade in ‘Anne Widdecombe versus Prostitution’.

Never one to shirk confrontation Ann visits the areas blighted by the vice trade to meet prostitutes, pimps and their clients as she investigates how effective the law is in dealing with the problem.

“I’m sending a message out to prostitutes, pimps, curb crawlers and brothel owners everywhere. It’s blunt and unbending but when you see the problem first hand you’ll understand why” Ann says.

The redoubtable MP begins her journey in Peterborough where families are in despair with prostitutes working outside their homes

“Decent neighbours around the UK are being affected, it’s sordid, it’s dangerous, it’s immoral” says Ann.

Ann spends the evening walking the streets talking to prostitutes, befriending a lady called Collette, who at 26 is already embroiled in the world of drug addiction and streetwalking

ONe of the most unintentionally funny programmes of the last 10 years:

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000087881/Ann-Widdecombe-Versus

Ann Widdecombe steps into frontline Britain to tackle the pressing issues of today in a brand new three part series: Ann Widdecombe versus…

She emerged relatively unscathed from a brush with hoodies for her headline-grabbing report into anti-social behaviour for Tonight With Trevor McDonald, and in programme one of her new series the Conservative MP trains her sights on the sex trade in ‘Anne Widdecombe versus Prostitution’.

Never one to shirk confrontation Ann visits the areas blighted by the vice trade to meet prostitutes, pimps and their clients as she investigates how effective the law is in dealing with the problem.

“I’m sending a message out to prostitutes, pimps, curb crawlers and brothel owners everywhere. It’s blunt and unbending but when you see the problem first hand you’ll understand why” Ann says.

The redoubtable MP begins her journey in Peterborough where families are in despair with prostitutes working outside their homes

“Decent neighbours around the UK are being affected, it’s sordid, it’s dangerous, it’s immoral” says Ann.

Ann spends the evening walking the streets talking to prostitutes, befriending a lady called Collette, who at 26 is already embroiled in the world of drug addiction and streetwalking

God - I remember that. Unfortunately.

She was also in the papers a lot at one point because she told Eminem off for
swearing/being a misogynist etc etc.

Re: This is from our Morrissey.

This is from Morrissey, to write a Letter to the Editor, you MUST give your contact address, email address and telephone number - otherwise it will be ignored.

Well done to Morrissey, he should speak out and of course he reads the broadsheets - he's very 'high brow' you know. :)

He should expand the releases of his intellectual comments. People want to listen to someone not hindered by the barbed and live wired gates of Westminster Palace . . .

The thing is, the Times passes for a serious newspaper (abroad at least.) So that speaks in favour of the genuine letter. I'm sure a serious newspaper would check "Morrissey, singer" really wrote that before printing, otherwise, well, another British myth crumbles.

If the letter is from Morrissey, it's very funny to see a few people think it's a befuddled imitation...

Er...Guys...Hate to break the news to ya but...I'm afraid Morrissey never was a writer...

Oh and, probably doesn't read the Times. PETA probably reads it for him and keeps him informed and suggests him to wave when appropriate.

Let someone else do the thinking for you.

Yeah, but smilier, how the hell do we know what Morrissey reads? He probably reads a few!

true i don't know. i just don't think this letter rings true - what about the other points i made about the letters content? someone has already said he has done an interview for the times in the past so i could be wrong but i would be surprised and a little disapointed

I think if the letter is mentioned on TTY then its from him - if it is never mentioned then i would strongly suspect it isn't

Re: This is from our Morrissey.

This is from Morrissey, to write a Letter to the Editor, you MUST give your contact address, email address and telephone number - otherwise it will be ignored.

Well done to Morrissey, he should speak out and of course he reads the broadsheets - he's very 'high brow' you know. :)

He should expand the releases of his intellectual comments. People want to listen to someone not hindered by the barbed and live wired gates of Westminster Palace . . .

You really think Morrissey would give his contact details - phone number, email address and home address to the editor of the times???????

surely i could just as easily give my contact details and say my name was Morrissey? - it would explain why Morrissey suddenly lives in chesire

The thing is, the Times passes for a serious newspaper (abroad at least.) So that speaks in favour of the genuine letter. I'm sure a serious newspaper would check "Morrissey, singer" really wrote that before printing, otherwise, well, another British myth crumbles.

If the letter is from Morrissey, it's very funny to see a few people think it's a befuddled imitation...

Er...Guys...Hate to break the news to ya but...I'm afraid Morrissey never was a writer...

Oh and, probably doesn't read the Times. PETA probably reads it for him and keeps him informed and suggests him to wave when appropriate.

No, but he is a control freak. I think he'd do better than that letter.

By saying that you can virtually guarantee he'll now issue a press-release to confirm his authorship, thus showing me up. Cheers Morrissey:thumb:

As for 'serious newspapers' checking facts. Well, I think that's crap (no offense) because I've had dealings with papers like that in the past. They think they can do whatever they like and make it go away with crap excuses. They're like the rest of Britain - pass the buck, blame someone else, and carry on as normal.

You have a chip on your shoulder - why?
"I'm sure a serious newspaper would check" - lol - "hi thanks for leaving your number one question are you THE Morrissey?"

Last edited:
for your interest

"I'm sure a serious newspaper would check" - lol - "hi thanks for leaving your number one question are you THE Morrissey?"

LOL!
baba is a silly dog who has a microchip one of her ears, not a chip on her shoulder. :p

:lbf: You're the fourth person saying that to me in two days.:tears: Ah, don't worry, it'll pass, maybe I should write a letter to the Times...

"What? Are you THE Barking?"

Damn, I don't even find that question exciting anymore. I really couldn't give a flying pig these days. Sad. What went wrong?:eek:

edit: lol Kewps

Last edited:
I love this man so much.

:lbf: You're the fourth person saying that to me in two days.:tears: Ah, don't worry, it'll pass, maybe I should write a letter to the Times...

"What? Are you THE Barking?"

Damn, I don't even find that question exciting anymore. I really couldn't give a flying pig these days. Sad. What went wrong?:eek:

edit: lol Kewps

don't bother writing to the times its an awful rag - why not write a poem or sing a song?

The mist-- er...eccentricities...in the letter make it more authentic, not less.

And he was agreeing with the views in Ann's op-ed piece, not proclaiming his love and devotion to her as a human being.

I think it's amusing that Morrissey doesn't consider a couple of ceremonial soldiers dressed up like Victorian toys, sporting hats made of fake bear fur designed by Paul McCartney's daughter, isn't also a nadir of the human spirit. Or maybe that was his sly little joke. :rolleyes:

Tags
bare skin bearskin
Back
Top Bottom