Morrisseys Ouvre

I might be a little biased when I say there is absolutely NO ONE with such a HUGE catalogue of VERY good songs. Hundreds and hundreds of songs. Steve, you've done a good job. I'm gonna make you a smoothie with nut milk as your reward. :kiss:
Gosh i wish i was as eloquent as you, have you written anything that i can read ?

í'd be hard pushed to name one. But that's cos í am a Morrissey fan. So it's natural, innit?

As an admirer of alot of Bowie, he has also done a hell of a lot of godawful wank.
But if í was a fan of David Bowie í'd guess í'd think that the wank was glorious.
The sublimity of some of his work, coupled with the way that he died, and the time that he died, and the demography of the current mainstream media has led to a situation where Bowie is now seen as this untouchable Golden Messiah, whose death marked the beginning of the end of modern civilisation. But he wasn't a Messiah. He was just a very naughty boy.

í'd be hard pushed to name one. But that's cos í am a Morrissey fan. So it's natural, innit?

As an admirer of alot of Bowie, he has also done a hell of a lot of godawful wank.
But if í was a fan of David Bowie í'd guess í'd think that the wank was glorious.
The sublimity of some of his work, coupled with the way that he died, and the time that he died, and the demography of the current mainstream media has led to a situation where Bowie is now seen as this untouchable Golden Messiah, whose death marked the beginning of the end of modern civilisation. But he wasn't a Messiah. He was just a very naughty boy.

I never caught the Bowie madness. I see his picture popping up often. It's iconic, but I find pictures of dogs more compelling.

I also thought Bowie as an artist who came close, I loved him prior to The Smiths but Morrissey has always been someone who says more to me
(about my life).

In 2014 Bowie was slagged to high heaven on the Scottish arts scene. Miraculously no one has remembered any of it since the day he died.

I LIKE Bowie, but I think he's a triumph of marketing over substance, whereas Morrissey is a triumph of substance over marketing.

Can you name anyone else who has a better body of work ?

Yes, plenty:

Charlie Parker
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Sonny Rollins
Mal Waldron
Oscar Peterson
Ornette Coleman
Sam Rivers
Herbie Hancock
Jackie McLean
Eric Dolphy
Andrew Hill
Paul Bley
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

The list is endless...

I love Moz and Bowie, but for sheer quantity of quality songs, no one has Dylan beat...

I really like Dylan - but I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't listen to him for more than 3 songs at a time.

I love every song Gram Parsons ever recorded - not sure if he wrote them????

(But, obvs, Moz).

Sparks get a lot of shit for voicing their disappointment with Morrissey, but really they put out at most 4 or 5 crummy albums out of like 23.

Ron Mael's lyrics were pretty peerless from 1971 til about 1994, and Russell Mael is still a pretty strong performer for his age.

I really like Dylan - but I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't listen to him for more than 3 songs at a time.

I love every song Gram Parsons ever recorded - not sure if he wrote them????

(But, obvs, Moz).
Yeah, Gram Parson is great. I think he wrote a lot of his songs but not all. One of Moz's favorites who also have a great oeuvre is Joni Mitchell.

Back
Top Bottom