Morrisseys Ouvre

I never caught the Bowie madness. I see his picture popping up often. It's iconic, but I find pictures of dogs more compelling.
Same here. I like the Heroes album and Aladdin Sane but never got into him very much. He was interesting but somehow had nothing very much interesting to say.

Yes, plenty:

Charlie Parker
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Sonny Rollins
Mal Waldron
Oscar Peterson
Ornette Coleman
Sam Rivers
Herbie Hancock
Jackie McLean
Eric Dolphy
Andrew Hill
Paul Bley
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

The list is endless...
If the list is endless , then how good can they all be?

Jesus Christ Laughing Gnome has to be the worst thing Bowie ever recorded!

Nah, most of his work between the Blue Jean single (from 1983) and the song Jump They Say (1993) falls into that category.

Sorry.

Yes, plenty:

Charlie Parker
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Sonny Rollins
Mal Waldron
Oscar Peterson
Ornette Coleman
Sam Rivers
Herbie Hancock
Jackie McLean
Eric Dolphy
Andrew Hill
Paul Bley
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

The list is endless...
If you take out the jazz artists (apples and oranges), you are left with Lennon and McCartney who wrote most of the Beatles great, great songs as well as solid solo work, and Bob f***ing Dylan. Frankly, that's good company for Morrissey to be in...

Morrissey hasn't made a decent record since 94 (Vauxhall) he became lyrically lazy, has been backed by inferior musicians, and poor production: the whole thing has become stale and bloated. Sure there's been a smattering of great songs in the past 25 years but he hasn't come close to a consistent decent record. So so many artists have a superior body of work to Dorrrissey: Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young, John Coltrane , Miles Davis...I could go on but you get the general idea... He became as someone else wrote a man trapped by the cult of his personality. A warped parody of a man.
His autobiography was unintentionally revealing in that it revealed nothing about the creative process and was just pages of tedious attacks and moaning. If he'd released some decent albums he could be forgiven for being such a vulgar man (most artists are difficult people ) The whole Morrissey thing turned from something beautiful into a weird cult. A sad ending .

Morrissey hasn't made a decent record since 94 (Vauxhall) he became lyrically lazy, has been backed by inferior musicians, and poor production: the whole thing has become stale and bloated. Sure there's been a smattering of great songs in the past 25 years but he hasn't come close to a consistent decent record. So so many artists have a superior body of work to Dorrrissey: Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young, John Coltrane , Miles Davis...I could go on but you get the general idea... He became as someone else wrote a man trapped by the cult of his personality. A warped parody of a man.
His autobiography was unintentionally revealing in that it revealed nothing about the creative process and was just pages of tedious attacks and moaning. If he'd released some decent albums he could be forgiven for being such a vulgar man (most artists are difficult people ) The whole Morrissey thing turned from something beautiful into a weird cult. A sad ending .
'Dorrrissey'?

Jesus Christ Laughing Gnome has to be the worst thing Bowie ever recorded!
i like his voice on laughing gnome,was one of the first songs i ever heard in 67,played it through alexa a few months back and i thought it sounded good.for me bowies career was over in the middle 80s.

Yes, plenty:

Charlie Parker
Bud Powell
Thelonious Monk
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Sonny Rollins
Mal Waldron
Oscar Peterson
Ornette Coleman
Sam Rivers
Herbie Hancock
Jackie McLean
Eric Dolphy
Andrew Hill
Paul Bley
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

The list is endless...
Quite the morrissey obsessives can't see past their obsession. In the real would most would say Paul Wellers
Pisses over moz.
Moz WAS brilliant. But he ran out of trricks a while ago.
Most people find him dull.
Not me but I'm being objective

Bowies body of works blows M's our the water, if only for his 70s stuff (as if anyone gives a shit what some daft jocks says).

Karen is such a Karen.

Then you have Bob Dylan makes moz seem like a 14 year old fairy.
Seme with Frank Sinartra, Elvis, Leonard Cohen. John Lennon, Tom Watts, Stevie Wonder, Prince.. Etc etc

First name that popped into my head was also Bowie (naturally. It's what you're supposed to say, I guess). But then I realised that ever since I stopped listening to Blackstar obsessively about two years ago, I'm back to the same 1969-1983 albums (+Laughing Gnome, it's essential). And nothing Bowie ever wrote makes me feel the way Late Night, Maudlin Street or Maladjusted or Well I Wonder or Rubber Ring or Home Is A Question Mark does.

I think there are some bands whose body of work I personally would consider as (nearly) flawless as Morrissey's but it's not "pop" and not comparable for various reasons.

Of course, as others have stated, it's highly subjective and if I was as involved in somebody else's work as I am in his, I'd probably see things differently.

It's like Morrissey saying the Dolls' debut is the "best"/most important album ever made.

The Elvis's?
I was thinking that too but I feel like it's not really comparable because Elvis was more of a performer and singer, not a lyricist or songwriter and he was part of a whole profit-orientated machinery.

But, as with Morrissey, the voice is what makes the songs.

Last edited:
If you take out the jazz artists (apples and oranges), you are left with Lennon and McCartney who wrote most of the Beatles great, great songs as well as solid solo work, and Bob f***ing Dylan. Frankly, that's good company for Morrissey to be in...
Jazz is going nowhere.
At 08:26

Back
Top Bottom